F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this is a complete newbie question that only someone who has never owned a truck (that would be me) would ask. How difficult/easy/frustrating is it to park the F-150...in public garages, off street if you need to run up the building to meet someone, etc. Are you constantly circling around trying to find a large parking spot? Or is it just not such a big deal?

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
I normally try to park away from everyone anyway no matter if I'm in my truck or my car (Focus ST). The F150's turning radius isn't bad. It's not quite as good as the Tundra I had before, but way better then the Chevy 2500HD I had before that.

I think you get use to it. I tend to backup into parking spaces. It makes it easier to get out when your ready to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
We park way out too. And back in whenever possible, or pull through. Overall I'm adjusting to my 2013's parking style. I cannot see as much of the truck corners as I could with my older smaller F150. The reverse camera and park assist beeps do help. It will be just a matter of time until I get used o parking it.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally took delivery of my truck and drove it home today. The drive home was awesome but upon getting home, I realized that (a) the truck will not fit in my garage (I already have three motorcycles in there), and (b) even with the camera and sensors, parking is going to take some getting used to. When it's dark outside, the rear view screen doesn't light up the way my Honda Pilot's camera screen lit up so it's definitely a bit more complicated. So I guess the truck's going to be parked outside (unless I can somehow convince my wife to park her car outside...which is not going to happen. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I could parallel park my SuperCrew 8' bed 2008 F250 that looked like a white whale in downtown Edmonton, with my wife and kids in the truck, spectators stopping to watch that, and no assist at all... I'm pretty sure you will be able to park your F150 pretty much anywhere it would fit!! LoL As for the camera, get into the habit of keeping your right foot on the brake pedal, it just puts more light out. Or change your backing lights... Like most people have done!!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I could parallel park my SuperCrew 8' bed 2008 F250 that looked like a white whale in downtown Edmonton, with my wife and kids in the truck, spectators stopping to watch that, and no assist at all... I'm pretty sure you will be able to park your F150 pretty much anywhere it would fit!! LoL As for the camera, get into the habit of keeping your right foot on the brake pedal, it just puts more light out. Or change your backing lights... Like most people have done!!
LOL! I have discovered the "keep your right foot on the brake pedal" trick. I'm going to have to investigate the backing lights. I'll look up autoanything.com and see what they have.

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's all a matter of perspective - go borrow someone's 350 or 450 and drive it around - after that, your 150 will feel like a smart car!

·
Registered
868 Posts
i agree the backup lights are pretty pathetic compared to everything else i have owned.
i back into my driveway off the street because its easier to just pull out and go rather than back out onto the street blind.
it wont be long and i will change something about the poor backup lights
i came across a little light bar that fits around the hitch with additional backup lights but i dont know how much it was or where i even seen it.
also there are so many LED lights out there now that could be bolted on under the bumper and they are crazy bright

·
Registered
495 Posts
I find the blockage of the overwhelming tailgate tough... Very tough. I am little, and have the seat as UP/tall as I can -- to no avail. I can lose a full-sized Buick back there. (No rear camera.)

I am a back-in kinda gal, and have driven (for four years at work) a E250 with no back windows... It's nothin but practice.

My F150 1995 lost its rear view mirror a decade or so ago, so I learned the side mirrors. It helps a LOT!

Back in. pull through. Or Parallel park.

Don't try to back out when you do not command the full view -- folks look for someone backing out! Dear Hubby had some skank drive into him when he was 3/4 out of a parking place, because he was in reverse! His insurance had to pay... And she was uninsured.

With practice, it's not so bad. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just park way out. My wife loves driving the truck but hates to park it. I have the camera which makes it easy. I highly recommend that.

·
Administrator
7,736 Posts
I park in the corner of the parking garage and back in, using the rear view camera, that way only one person parks next to me and its on the drivers side. I like to know if someone is gonna door ding me...and if its a car, I might 'accidentally' open the door too fast and shatter their window :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a super crew with a 6.5' bed. Really wish I would of bought the 5.5'

It's really a bear to park. The longer wheel base makes for a wide radius.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have a 2011 Crew with 5.5 and a Leer topper. My wife is 5 ft tall and I'm only 5'8" but we back in all spaces without a problem. I did install a backup camera which helps greatly. Compared to our motorhome the F-150 is a breeze to park.

We have a 34 ft motorhome that my wife can park better than I can, but she can't back a boat traler down a ramp without jackknifing it.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Have a 2011 Crew with 5.5 and a Leer topper. My wife is 5 ft tall and I'm only 5'8" but we back in all spaces without a problem. I did install a backup camera which helps greatly. Compared to our motorhome the F-150 is a breeze to park.

We have a 34 ft motorhome that my wife can park better than I can, but she can't back a boat traler down a ramp without jackknifing it.
Sounds like you two need each other. lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also agree backup bulbs are really crappy. I bought nice led bulbs to replace the factory. And your best bet is to spend the money and just buy some other lights and mount them back by your hitch.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've got the camera and sensors. Can't tell you how many times they've saved my ass. I also prefer backing in. Having that handy little tag to hang from the mirror has me spoiled for the extra parking area room, but it definitely goes way out if those spaces are taken and I just enjoy the pain. Funny how you can be the only one out there with no one around and you become a parking magnet for anything built before 95 to snuggle up to....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
18 Participants
Tuffmag
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing