F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Just so you know, at low rpm, part throttle, ethanol can actually produce more knock that pure gas. But that should quickly pass, and you should then seen negative KR. Also, there is very little risk to your engine at low rpm, part throttle due to knock. It's just the irritation of seeing your big +KR. And I generally seen that between 0-5 psi of boost. Above 5 psi, I only see -KR.

Also with ethanol, you should see a BIG drop in your KR in WOT, and the PCM should give you lots of the Spark Advance, depending on the limits of the tune. Right now, I have so much -KR in WOT, that I was able to add more spark advance and the PCM gladly accepted it. That is when I go back to Torrie and tell him to give me more!

FYI, August 11 is suppose to be the day the shop our Company is going to install my modified Low Fuel Pressure Assembly. Once I get my old LPFP Assembly, I am going to immediately tear it apart and start rebuilding it. I may even go with a Walbro 525 this time, and I REALLY want figure out how to install my Jeg's Mini Filter, along with the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Last night I was doing some reading on how to tune the Ecoboost and how the HDFX system works in the PCM and how it can jump between any one of 16 timing and torque to load tables.

I kinda wonder if this is just an artifact of how those tables are setup and blended, although, Boostking would know how to deal with that.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Last night I was doing some reading on how to tune the Ecoboost and how the HDFX system works in the PCM and how it can jump between any one of 16 timing and torque to load tables.

I kinda wonder if this is just an artifact of how those tables are setup and blended, although, Boostking would know how to deal with that.
What you say makes complete sense based on what I have been observing on my Livewire.

On a particular route I take to work, I pretty much know my KR for the entire trip. I should add that my engine will become fully warmed up and the transmission over 106*F/41*C and my TC locked.

However, if my vehicle is fully warmed up from the start, and I do the same trip, (with similar ambient temp), my KR will be entirely different.

I suspect that it may have to do with those Timing/Torque Tables you mentioned. In the first situation, I suspect it is primarily using certain tables. And in the second situation completely different tables.

Reactions: looqw

·
Registered
2018 f150 3.5 eco
10 Posts
Having same issues all the sudden. Been running e30 tune for months now. Never see +KR. I am always adding timing, even cruising. Last two weeks I am seeing KR up to +5 cruising. I have tested fuel as I always do for ethenol content. No other changes or mods. I'm trying to monitor load values as well. However on my ngauge it shows % load. Values 0 to 100. How does that equate to the values you all are talking about? For example. What would .8 load be? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Having same issues all the sudden. Been running e30 tune for months now. Never see +KR. I am always adding timing, even cruising. Last two weeks I am seeing KR up to +5 cruising. I have tested fuel as I always do for ethenol content. No other changes or mods. I'm trying to monitor load values as well. However on my ngauge it shows % load. Values 0 to 100. How does that equate to the values you all are talking about? For example. What would .8 load be? Thanks for any help.
I dont think you can equate that in any meaningful way. I think that you are probably looking at the standard SAE PID for load as opposed to Ford’s version of load.

SAE load is funky. I used to watch it on my jeep because that was all i had to look at and it was pretty erratic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do any of you (especially Canadians) actually hear the “pinging”?
I have a 2019 2.7 with a tune on it, and no matter what tune I load, even the 87-89 tune with 94 octane in the tank, i’m hearing the pinging at part throttle going up a hill etc.

I swear I don’t hear any pinging with the stock tune loaded, but I will double check tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I have a 2019 2.7 with a tune on it, and no matter what tune I load, even the 87-89 tune with 94 octane in the tank, i’m hearing the pinging at part throttle going up a hill etc.

I swear I don’t hear any pinging with the stock tune loaded, but I will double check tomorrow.
The ONLY tune that I ever heard any audible knock, was with a tune from one particular tuner (SSI). I have run multiple tunes from a number of other tuners and never had that issue.

And yes, our "94" is not very good. Consider the octane rating, more "wishful thinking". It behaves more like 91.1

·
Registered
2 Posts
The ONLY tune that I ever heard any audible knock, was with a tune from one particular tuner (SSI). I have run multiple tunes from a number of other tuners and never had that issue.

And yes, our "94" is not very good. Consider the octane rating, more "wishful thinking". It behaves more like 91.1
Well im going to turn it back to stock tonight and make sure i’m not hearing things. But I am pretty familiar what i’m hearing. The logs show no knock...

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Well im going to turn it back to stock tonight and make sure i’m not hearing things. But I am pretty familiar what i’m hearing. The logs show no knock...
Unfortunately, that tuner which created a tune with audible knock on my truck, also disabled all the safety so I couldn't tell if the PCM was registering any KR (or not).

On another vehicle that I was testing a few years back, when I encountered any audible knock, I often wouldn't see any KR on the datalogs. This wass because the frequencies that the Knock Sensor hears is different than our human ears hear. Basically, when I started to hear knock, it was as if the knock sensor became deaf - due to the different frequencies.

But, definitely go back to stock, put the best gas you can find and see if you hear anything. If you do, it could indicate you have a mechanical issue with your engine. If so, then you should check for anything "loose", like the exhaust banging against something.

BTW, where in BC are you located?

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts

I did before I realized how bad our 94 was. It's best to ask for a 91 tune and then tune it to 91 Shell or 94 Chevron.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
If anyone is curious, here are the parameters when the Knock sensors come into play. This was taken from a 2013 and I imagine it only relates to 11-14 F150's.

This next one is from my 18 Raptor.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
I noticed by cylinder 2 is seeing -4 on partial throttle, but i also saw this sometimes pop up why just cruising at 65, which is zero boost and steady state, it would randomly pop up. This makes me believe it is false knock. All other cylinder show 0.

Again, WOT is more important!

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
I noticed by cylinder 2 is seeing -4 on partial throttle, but i also saw this sometimes pop up why just cruising at 65, which is zero boost and steady state, it would randomly pop up. This makes me believe it is false knock. All other cylinder show 0.

Again, WOT is more important!
Is this recently?

If I’m not wrong, cylinder 2 is passenger side middle?

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
Is this recently?

If I’m not wrong, cylinder 2 is passenger side middle?
yes, right above your most beloved pcv. I never checked before.

3 6
2 5
1 4

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
121 - 137 of 137 Posts