F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking towards the end of next year for a f150 lariat 3.5 crew cab 4wd possibly 5.5 or 6.5 bed.trying to find payload capacity on the 2021’s do I have the number right at 2100 pounds?

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,100 Posts
Doubtful for a CrewCab.
Very doubtful for a Lariat.
And absolutely convinced not possible in 4WD.

Far closer to 1500 in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,100 Posts
It's a daunting task to try to estimate Payload capacity from Ford documentation. The forums are littered with well intentioned researchers (you and me) who were confused and/or mislead.

The only legitimate way of at least getting into a margin of error that you can live with is to acquire enough real life examples of the major "categories" of builds and you finally will see a pattern.

If you can find a dealership, or a few dealerships combined, you could just create a little cheat sheet and start opening the driver's doors up and jotting down actuals.

Or you can do what you just did and ask for real life examples and the forum folks will provide their real life numbers.

As for categories, I would keep it simple:

CrewCab or KingCab (if you have no intention of buying a KingCab, then maybe no reason for asking or checking)

4WD 2WD (I think you can safely plug in a number of ~225lbs? Some say 200. Others say 250

5.5 VS 6.5

And finally, trim XL XLT Lariat, and finally KR-Plat-Limited. (which are usually a little heavier than Lariat)

And finally, what you COULD do is establish a minimum Payload capacity that you can live with and then simply eliminate all the trucks you already know would not likely provide it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a daunting task to try to estimate Payload capacity from Ford documentation. The forums are littered with well intentioned researchers (you and me) who were confused and/or mislead.

The only legitimate way of at least getting into a margin of error that you can live with is to acquire enough real life examples of the major "categories" of builds and you finally will see a pattern.

If you can find a dealership, or a few dealerships combined, you could just create a little cheat sheet and start opening the driver's doors up and jotting down actuals.

Or you can do what you just did and ask for real life examples and the forum folks will provide their real life numbers.

As for categories, I would keep it simple:

CrewCab or KingCab (if you have no intention of buying a KingCab, then maybe no reason for asking or checking)

4WD 2WD (I think you can safely plug in a number of ~225lbs? Some say 200. Others say 250

5.5 VS 6.5

And finally, trim XL XLT Lariat, and finally KR-Plat-Limited. (which are usually a little heavier than Lariat)

And finally, what you COULD do is establish a minimum Payload capacity that you can live with and then simply eliminate all the trucks you already know would not likely provide it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,100 Posts
A Ford Dealer has put this together:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the link.
But that's exactly the kind of "documentation" (marketing) that leads to so much disappointment when you open the driver's door and see the yellow tag of reality.

"I'll take one of them 3.5 Ecoboost trucks you have with 3000 lbs Payload please"

They won't have one. Unless of course they have a Fleet XL KingCab 8'bed HDPP in inventory.

Edit: Which, by the way, brings up the one way you CAN get you a CrewCab 2WD 6.5' bed 3.5 Ecoboost with ~2700-2800lbs of Payload. Wicked towing platform!

But it isn't available in Lariat or above trim. (unless you live in Canada, I think)

My brother's HDPP 3.5 Ecoboost

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Automotive exterior Font

·
Premium Member
2018 F150 Lariat Special Edition Sport 4x4 157" wb
202 Posts
Thanks for the link.
But that's exactly the kind of "documentation" (marketing) that leads to so much disappointment when you open the driver's door and see the yellow tag of reality.

"I'll take one of them 3.5 Ecoboost trucks you have with 3000 lbs Payload please"

They won't have one. Unless of course they have a Fleet XL KingCab 8'bed HDPP in inventory.

Ok - I understand the issue now. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
You are looking at 1500-1650 lbs depending on how it is optioned.

If you really wanna get wild with it, starting on page 27 of this document has the weight added by each option:

Add up all of the options you want and add it to the base curb weight listed for the truck. Then subtract that from the GVWR. When I did it got my truck, I wanna say I was within 40 lbs, or something like that, of the actual payload listed on the door.

Edit:

I cannot get the link to work but its here under Vehicle specifications -> 2021 -> 2021 F150 Specs R1

·
Registered
2018 F150 xlt 3.5 Ecoboost.
9 Posts
Weighed with full tank and then wrote the GAWR from the white manufacturers sticker on the door next to my axle weights on the scale receipt. That's a important thing to know as you load your truck and then throw that tongue weight in on your trailer
Font Handwriting Parallel Paper Paper product

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weighed with full tank and then wrote the GAWR from the white manufacturers sticker on the door next to my axle weights on the scale receipt. That's a important thing to know as you load your truck and then throw that tongue weight in on your trailer View attachment 174545
So is that a crew cab 4 wheel drive? What does that make the payload capacity then? Truck weighs 5,540.

·
Premium Member
10,100 Posts
So is that a crew cab 4 wheel drive? What does that make the payload capacity then? Truck weighs 5,540.
I don't know what his GVW is, but if it is the typical 7000, it would be 1460

If it's the 7300 GVW truck, it would be 1760

And then there's the 7700 GVW trucks out there, which would make it 2160

Notice below his truck is a SuperCab and the 6.5 bed. And if those are the oem wheels, I am guessing that they might be part of the 7700# GVW chassis package? (I don't know for sure)

But for a 4WD F150 non-HDPP truck, he's got a great tow worthy beast right there.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Reactions: Flyswatter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know what his GVW is, but if it is the typical 7000, it would be 1460

If it's the 7300 GVW truck, it would be 1760

And then there's the 7700 GVW trucks out there, which would make it 2160

Notice below his truck is a SuperCab and the 6.5 bed. And if those are the oem wheels, I am guessing that they might be part of the 7700# GVW chassis package? (I don't know for sure)

But for a 4WD F150 non-HDPP truck, he's got a great tow worthy beast right there.

View attachment 174556

Product Font Material property Engineering Parallel

Appreciate all the help I’m just trying to do my due diligence I’ve only pulled a utility trailer with a small suv. I’m looking at this toy hauler. Not sure what my 1000 lb Harley will do to the tongues weight. Just trying to decide between the f150 3.5 and a gas f250

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
For a regular Ecoboost crew cab 4x4 the gvwr will be 7050 for a 5.5’ bed and 7150 for a 6.5’ bed.

·
Premium Member
10,100 Posts
I love the fact that you are doing your due diligence BEFORE you have the truck or RV.

That gives you such an advantage over MOST people considering what you are considering.

This is just MY opinion,....... if I were in your circumstances, although I would be willing to make certain compromises on my choice of RV-Toy Hauler, I would still make choosing an RV that I KNOW would be a joy to camp with, my first priority. Afterall, as stated above, you aren't burdened with already having committed to the tow truck. :)

The RV you posted above would not disqualify a 1/2 ton tow vehicle, but it WOULD narrow it down to a considerably smaller percentage of trucks for ME. (I know what the literature says, but that RV is going to be 800+ lbs of tongue weight, if I had to guess. The beauty of Toy Haulers though is that by their very design, they offer the ability to manage the weight distribution inside the trailer itself)

But then there's the length too. It's not the longest RV towed with a 1/2 ton, even on this forum, but it isn't short either. :)

Back to my F150 choices.

I'd feel strongly about the longer wheelbase. For the obvious advantages of the physics involved, but also because the best towing specs are generally for the longer wheelbase configuration.
I absolutely would require the Max-Tow package because it gives you the best starting point for the towing modifications that I would likely be doing to the truck. (shocks, tires, rear antisway bar)

Of course you COULD go through the effort to fetch an HDPP F150 and all this capacity confusion would be moot. That HDPP F150 would have as much Payload capacity left over AFTER you dropped the Toy Hauler on the ball, as most F150's start with.

Example: Let's say you have an HDPP F150 with 2700# Payload.
800lbs on the ball and you still have 1900# left for the family. You would likely have enough Payload headroom left over that towing is actually a pleasure! Especially if you have your WDH formula perfected.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love the fact that you are doing your due diligence BEFORE you have the truck or RV.

That gives you such an advantage over MOST people considering what you are considering.

This is just MY opinion,....... if I were in your circumstances, although I would be willing to make certain compromises on my choice of RV-Toy Hauler, I would still make choosing an RV that I KNOW would be a joy to camp with, my first priority. Afterall, as stated above, you aren't burdened with already having committed to the tow truck. :)

The RV you posted above would not disqualify a 1/2 ton tow vehicle, but it WOULD narrow it down to a considerably smaller percentage of trucks for ME. (I know what the literature says, but that RV is going to be 800+ lbs of tongue weight, if I had to guess. The beauty of Toy Haulers though is that by their very design, they offer the ability to manage the weight distribution inside the trailer itself)

But then there's the length too. It's not the longest RV towed with a 1/2 ton, even on this forum, but it isn't short either. :)

Back to my F150 choices.

I'd feel strongly about the longer wheelbase. For the obvious advantages of the physics involved, but also because the best towing specs are generally for the longer wheelbase configuration.
I absolutely would require the Max-Tow package because it gives you the best starting point for the towing modifications that I would likely be doing to the truck. (shocks, tires, rear antisway bar)

Of course you COULD go through the effort to fetch an HDPP F150 and all this capacity confusion would be moot. That HDPP F150 would have as much Payload capacity left over AFTER you dropped the Toy Hauler on the ball, as most F150's start with.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
10,100 Posts
For a regular Ecoboost crew cab 4x4 the gvwr will be 7050 for a 5.5’ bed and 7150 for a 6.5’ bed.
You are definitely the numbers guru on these things, so what gets us the "#7350 GVW package" on the current F150's?

My 2021 has that #7350 option, but of course it's still a PIG with average Payload left because of being all dolled up.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
You are definitely the numbers guru on these things, so what gets us the "#7350 GVW package" on the current F150's?

My 2021 has that #7350 option, but of course it's still a PIG with average Payload left because of being all dolled up.

The Powerboost is how you get 7350. Its annoying because it would be fantastic if they just gave them all that GVWR. We would have lariats with 1800+ lbs of payload.

I am guessing there is no difference between the chassis, its just a numbers game.

·
Premium Member
10,100 Posts
The Powerboost is how you get 7350. Its annoying because it would be fantastic if they just gave them all that GVWR. We would have lariats with 1800+ lbs of payload.

I am guessing there is no difference between the chassis, its just a numbers game.
Ahhh. OK, that explains that.
But there has to be some component, some piece of hardware, that Ford is using to raise the GVW a couple of hundred pounds.

I mean I guess there's nothing stopping them from just increasing the value on paper with NOTHING to justify it, but I gotta believe they at least have something they can point to in order to justify the increase.

If nothing else they might have an additional crossmember to support the battery. Although I don't think most people realize how small and light that battery is.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts