F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
You are definitely the numbers guru on these things, so what gets us the "#7350 GVW package" on the current F150's?

My 2021 has that #7350 option, but of course it's still a PIG with average Payload left because of being all dolled up.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
My steel body crew cab 4x4 XLT has #7200 GVW, with a weak 1371 payload. Just throwing more numbers out there.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,086 Posts
My steel body crew cab 4x4 XLT has #7200 GVW, with a weak 1371 payload. Just throwing more numbers out there.
Yea, for Cargo Capacity the aluminums might have a bit of advantage, but not NEARLY as much as you would expect.

But even with a healthier Payload, the aluminums don't carry their weight as well as the steelies. Or put another way, lots of folks that have towed with both have stated the steelies felt more stable.

Reactions: EcoXLT

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Ahhh. OK, that explains that.
But there has to be some component, some piece of hardware, that Ford is using to raise the GVW a couple of hundred pounds.

I mean I guess there's nothing stopping them from just increasing the value on paper with NOTHING to justify it, but I gotta believe they at least have something they can point to in order to justify the increase.

If nothing else they might have an additional crossmember to support the battery. Although I don't think most people realize how small and light that battery is.

I was under the impression that GVWR affects how the truck is tested by the EPA when they rate them for MPG's. Like the vehicle has to be tested at some percentage of the GVWR maybe? So ford has a motivation to suppress the GVWR if they can.

·
Premium Member
10,086 Posts
I was under the impression that GVWR affects how the truck is tested by the EPA when they rate them for MPG's. Like the vehicle has to be tested at some percentage of the GVWR maybe? So ford has a motivation to suppress the GVWR if they can.
If that's true, it's wrong on SO many levels.

Many of us live and die with the limits that GVWR puts on us. A mere 100-200lbs is precious to lots of folks that are making BIG (co$tly) decisions based on Payload limits.

If Ford really does pick that number arbitrarily at the alter of fuel efficiency EPA numbers, that's more egregious than all the other silly "features" that cost us money and potential repairs with almost zero return in real world Fuel savings combined. (Auto stop/start, variable oil pressure pumps, alternator management, and recently automated valence lowering)

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,805 Posts
Reactions: Fred magma red

·
Registered
7,911 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,086 Posts
That "guide" (brochure) IS the source of so much misunderstanding. :)

It's kinda crazy since it doesn't have false information, but they know darn well that it's misleading to so many folks.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
That "guide" (brochure) IS the source of so much misunderstanding. :)

It's kinda crazy since it doesn't have false information, but they know darn well that it's misleading to so many folks.

Yup. How many posts from newb owners "Ford says it'll tow 13400, payload of 3100#. I believe Chevy started putting payload AND towing numbers on their door stickers moving forward.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’m old school in my thinking and have driving Ford pickups for decades. I just assume a 1/2 ton pickup (F150) is good to safely load 1/2 ton or 1,000 pounds.
So far, I never had an issue with tires or axle bearings.
Nothing wrong with researching the capacities like you guys are doing. I admire that! But if I’m driving a long way, I won’t go over my simple way of checking my load capacity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks trying to find accurate numbers is almost impossible
No, it is not if your looking to buy new and order what you want. I built my 2015 Lariat scab 6.5’, 4wd, max towing, and got 1962 lbs payload. The info is in the website. Use the Build your own. Unless it has changed since 2015, was pretty simple process.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, it is not if your looking to buy new and order what you want. I built my 2015 Lariat scab 6.5’, 4wd, max towing, and got 1962 lbs payload. The info is in the website. Use the Build your own. Unless it has changed since 2015, was pretty simple process.
You do know payload spec is on the door jam sticker in every existing vehicle, right?

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,805 Posts
All ya gotta do is get an XL or XLT reg cab or scab with Max Tow and HDPP.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts