F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post long time viewer. I put in a factory order for a 2021 Ford F-150 PowerBoost with max tow package but I'm currently having some second thoughts. I have a 2014 Nash 17K (GWVR 7,000, Dry Weight 4,037, Dry hitch weight 500lbs, Length 22'). Due to the fact that the PowerBoost only has a payload of 2,120 I would love to get some other opinions on if this trailer is too big for the truck! Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
First post long time viewer. I put in a factory order for a 2021 Ford F-150 PowerBoost with max tow package but I'm currently having some second thoughts. I have a 2014 Nash 17K (GWVR 7,000, Dry Weight 4,037, Dry hitch weight 500lbs, Length 22'). Due to the fact that the PowerBoost only has a payload of 2,120 I would love to get some other opinions on if this trailer is too big for the truck! Any advise would be appreciated.
What trim did you get? 2120 lbs is going to be the maximum payload you can get if you ordered a supercrew 6.5’ bed 2x4, but if you ordered a fully loaded Platinum 4x4 or something, expect it to be way less than that.

Regardless, that truck should be enough for that trailer, its pretty light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohh....I think you will be fine-lol> your kidding right? View attachment 169281

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That's a great looking trailer! But no I'm not kidding. The battery on these hybrid models seem extremely heavy. I just don't want to have to worry about every small little thing I'm packing.

Thanks for the reply 👍

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What trim did you get? 2120 lbs is going to be the maximum payload you can get if you ordered a supercrew 6.5’ bed 2x4, but if you ordered a fully loaded Platinum 4x4 or something, expect it to be way less than that.

Regardless, that truck should be enough for that trailer, its pretty light.
Thanks for the reply. I got the crewcab, 5.5' bed, 4x4 platinum. Probably the worst trim for towing 😅

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
If gross weight is really no more than 7000lbs, then you should be fine.
However, I don't think you can just guess the cargo capacity of a truck you ordered.

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I got the crewcab, 5.5' bed, 4x4 platinum. Probably the worst trim for towing
My guess is you may be in the 1300-1400 lb payload range but won’t really know until you get it.

Base curb weight of the screw 5.5’ 4x4 Powerboost is 5517 lbs. Add probably 5-600 lbs to that going to the Platinum. The gvwr is 7350 so thats where im figuring.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think it's going to be really interesting to see what the payloads are when the trucks start hitting the streets. If the Powerboost neuters the payload down to 1100-1200lbs. like the Dogs, it's going to turn a lot of people off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I tow a Lance 2375 with a 2018 F-150, EcoBoost, Max Tow. Trailer has GVWR of 7000. Tugging capacity is not a problem, ever. Door sticker GVWR on the truck is 7000, with a payload capacity of 1465 (platinum with sunroof, etc.). The Lance is very tongue heavy, with about 1000 on the ball. That puts me a touch over GVWR when towing. I'm under the rated capacity on both axles, so I don't think it's a big problem.

It reads like your Nash is much lighter on the tongue, and that the truck you've ordered is much beefier in payload. Unless you're needing to carry a couple dirt bikes in the bed, or 4 adults, you should be fine with the F-150.

The only thing I'd worry about is sway. Reads like Nash puts dangerously little weight on the tongue. You should have at least 11% of the trailer weight on the ball to reduce the likelihood of sway. Get a good WDH that also does sway control, and be confident that the truck's sway control logic will help as well.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tow a Lance 2375 with a 2018 F-150, EcoBoost, Max Tow. Trailer has GVWR of 7000. Tugging capacity is not a problem, ever. Door sticker GVWR on the truck is 7000, with a payload capacity of 1465 (platinum with sunroof, etc.). The Lance is very tongue heavy, with about 1000 on the ball. That puts me a touch over GVWR when towing. I'm under the rated capacity on both axles, so I don't think it's a big problem.

It reads like your Nash is much lighter on the tongue, and that the truck you've ordered is much beefier in payload. Unless you're needing to carry a couple dirt bikes in the bed, or 4 adults, you should be fine with the F-150.

The only thing I'd worry about is sway. Reads like Nash puts dangerously little weight on the tongue. You should have at least 11% of the trailer weight on the ball to reduce the likelihood of sway. Get a good WDH that also does sway control, and be confident that the truck's sway control logic will help as well.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. Just an FYI that weight is dry. I have 2 x 30lb propane tanks (110lbs) and 2 x 6V batteries (130lbs) on the front. So that's around 740lbs on the hitch plus the WDH which is usually around 100lbs.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Tyoer.....seriously> how awesome is that truck going to be! 430hp/570#' of torque...
Listen 1900'-2100's of truck payload isnt anything to sneeze at.
I think the extra weight of the battery pack; the location of pack will be beneficial to towing and trailer stability.
It will be curious to see how Ford engineered and where they placed the cooling mechanicals aka....transmission cooler/bypass system, electric fans size?, radiator size?, CAC size with shutters or none?, etc.
Your truck will pull your current trailer no problem> with plenty of payload left to boot.
I tow probably within 300-500#'s of payload capacity left, so very heavy.
Regardless....with a good Weight Distribution Hitch and a Trailer Sway Control Bar / System added.....you will have trouble free towing!
Cant wait to see your pics!
Congratulations again
Screenshot_20201105-182048_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad i'm not in the market for a new truck but if L was the hybrid would be an iffy one for me. Everything I see about it brings more questions than answers. first question, hp. and tq.
numbers are great but on a long pull, say Wyoming fighting a slight uphill with 20+ mph head winds all day, how much will the electric motor kick in and how long before the batt.
runs down to the point that it shuts off. 2 how well will they function in cold temps, -20 or colder. These and more questions such as reliability would have to be answered before
I would buy one, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I would really, really hope that Ford has tested the crap out of these things. The F150 is their crown jewel - they have to know that a misstep on this hybrid, especially with how they're hyping things like the 7.2Kw inverter for contractor use, would be a Very Bad Thing.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
Ford has way more Hybrid history and knowledge than most of us F150 fellas would ever dream.

That doesn't mean I'm necessarily impressed with this entry-dabble into F150 Hybridness though. Cuz I'm not.

But that also doesn't mean that I don't trust it. Again, they aren't newbies with the technology.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Won't argue with that snakebitten but that doesn't mean that they will get it right, 9 yrs. of the ecoboost and they still haven't fixed the overheating when towing issue, in fact I don't think they have even tried to.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
I get your point and there's probably a few fellas on here that agree with you on that.

I see it just a little different. I think Ford DOES know that the limits on cooling (while towing in certain conditions) exists, but I think they decided to address it with the built in safety mechanism of limp mode, rather than any alternative.

Or put another way, this motor is designed to be able to generate class-leading power/torque via the technology and hardware that makes up the package, but it is ALSO capable of generating more heat than it can shed in very specific circumstances that a large percentage of owners will never experience. So rather than gimping the potential of this motor for everyone, in order to limit the ability of the truck to create more heat than it can shed, they leave it in the hands of the driver to intercede in those circumstances OR Ford intercedes with limp mode.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't be happier if Ford came up with a way to shed heat better. I would be thrilled. But one thing is obvious after seeing the extraordinary efforts of some around here, and that is it's just not that easy. Truth is that Ford lets YOU decide to back off if necessary, or at about 250F, they do it for you.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
The hybrid system isn't gunna run towing for long duration. It just won't. It will most likely just be used for off the line bursts.

It's a mild system to assist in city MPG's and performance in short bursts.

And Ford just has to meet J2807. Anything more than doing 45 mph up a 7% grade at 100F doesnt concern them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts