F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased 2013 F150 Eco boost with super crew and 6.5 ft box. Much to my surprise and disappointment when i put about 700 lbs in my box I got a significant shudder from a dead stop. Ford says this is normal ???? This issue is only with the longer truck not the shorter box. If i had known i wouldn't have purchased this truck. Tech says its an alignment issue of sorts but this is normal. What a lot of crap. Can someone help?

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the same set-up but don't have the shutter issue even with payloads as heavy as 2000lbs... I don't think you are getting a straight answer from the tech... Any chance you have another dealership you can see or maybe a direct call to ford may work...

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I get this too. But it's not super bad. It happens at low speeds whether I roll into the throttle softly or not.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have seen posts about this on several forums and it seems to be an axle wrap issue. It is the same thing that happens on high performance muscle cars with rear leaf springs, you tube 'axle wrap' and you will see many examples, many don't show what is causing the shutter. When the tire gets grip the axle wraps then when it loses grip it unwraps. Imagine that happening several times on each tire rotation quickly, that is causing the shutter or wheel hop and possibly breaking parts. The solution was to add traction bars to combat this but they aren't practical on a truck. I haven't found anything stating that Ford has resolved this.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but can that happen with an open diff?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know about all these explanations, but my new 2013 Eco crew w/ 6.5' has done this since day one. 8500 mi now. Shutters on start from dead stop loaded or unloaded light throttle or heavy. Have not taken in yet, but expect same BS that everyone else is getting. Probably moisture in the inter cooler being sucked into engine. Don't think Ford has done anything about that problem. 13's are having the same issues as the earlier models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for your reply ! Will be taking it to another dealership next week. On the phone the other dealership told me that they have had a couple of complaints as well. On one truck they greased either the yoke or hanger, forget which one he said. On the other truck they replaced the hanger,problem solved.
The person i bought the truck from hasn't even responded to my e=mails, she sure did pretty quick before I bought my truck from her. Sad to say that maybe this industry has not really changed that much?
I did call ford, they called the dealer ship, dealer told ford shudder was within normal limits.What a lot of BS

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
Don't know about all these explanations, but my new 2013 Eco crew w/ 6.5' has done this since day one. 8500 mi now. Shutters on start from dead stop loaded or unloaded light throttle or heavy. Have not taken in yet, but expect same BS that everyone else is getting. Probably moisture in the inter cooler being sucked into engine. Don't think Ford has done anything about that problem. 13's are having the same issues as the earlier models.

The '13's have the new CAC design. You're still having high humidity faults with the '13? I have a '12 and live in one of the most humid climates in the nation...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I watched axle wrap on you tube. I don't think this is my problem? Tech says drive train angle is changing when load is put in box. Not sure how this angle can change when the differential compensates for that right?? ( not sure )
Dealer thinks putting Timbrens in will help. He is willing to do next week at his cost. I don't think this will help but he is willing to try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dealer put Timbrens in today, did not help shudder at all. They are now calling fords tech person. My friend at another dealership said it is almost efinately a driveline issue. He has fixed several with same issue. Its mostly only happening on Eco boost, super crew with 6.5 box. apparently this has been going on for about 3 years. Could be a simple fix ( I hope ) with adding shims between rear axle and springs. This will rotate axle thus changing driveline angle of u-joint and or pinion gear, I hope.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Driveshaft joint, Axle and Driveshaft Bolts Suspected

I noticed this when I first received my 12' Heavy Duty Payload pack and Max Tow Pack EcoBoosted work truck, I started heavy duty towing and hauling since purchase as it was a Special Order. I notice something very strange and I had the dealer check the bolts on the driveshaft where it is bolted to the axle, come to find out they had backed out some. They retorqued them to factory spec and applied loc tight, I then again noticed something strange again had them recheck the bolts to the driveshaft/axle connection and the tech that actually worked on a few Ecoboost before also test drove it and suspected it was the driveshaft joint where it connects with a rubber boot. Come to find out there was a TSB to relube that joint with some type of high heat white lube grease deal. And it cured that whole drive off driveline issue from a stop. When you take the truck in for service or you state that same issue when they put it on the lift ask them to check that point on the axle where it is connected by a rubber boot as it holds that lube point it could be very well dryed out already. And also have them check the bolts and ensure they are to factory specs. I wish I had a photo to show you and the TSB within hands reach to show you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased 2013 F150 Eco boost with super crew and 6.5 ft box. Much to my surprise and disappointment when i put about 700 lbs in my box I got a significant shudder from a dead stop. Ford says this is normal ???? This issue is only with the longer truck not the shorter box. If i had known i wouldn't have purchased this truck. Tech says its an alignment issue of sorts but this is normal. What a lot of crap. Can someone help?
My 11 Ecoboost supercrew with 6.5 box does it too at low speed at any medium to fast acceleration. The OP manual says it is normal. Those trucks have very soft 3 leaf rear springs. The truck has enough driveline torque in the first two gears to twist those soft springs enough to raise the pinion in the rear end enough to cause vibration of the rear U joint. It really will do no harm and i suppose could be eliminated by adding a set of "slapper" style traction bars to prevent spring windup.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I noticed this when I first received my 12' Heavy Duty Payload pack and Max Tow Pack EcoBoosted work truck, I started heavy duty towing and hauling since purchase as it was a Special Order. I notice something very strange and I had the dealer check the bolts on the driveshaft where it is bolted to the axle, come to find out they had backed out some. They retorqued them to factory spec and applied loc tight, I then again noticed something strange again had them recheck the bolts to the driveshaft/axle connection and the tech that actually worked on a few Ecoboost before also test drove it and suspected it was the driveshaft joint where it connects with a rubber boot. Come to find out there was a TSB to relube that joint with some type of high heat white lube grease deal. And it cured that whole drive off driveline issue from a stop. When you take the truck in for service or you state that same issue when they put it on the lift ask them to check that point on the axle where it is connected by a rubber boot as it holds that lube point it could be very well dryed out already. And also have them check the bolts and ensure they are to factory specs. I wish I had a photo to show you and the TSB within hands reach to show you.
Thanks for the tip, the shudder could very well be caused by a sticky dry driveshaft slip joint, especially with the F150's soft rear springs.. I had that problem with large articulated 4WD farm tractor drivelines. A relube with Mobil 1 synthetic grease fixed it. I will try it on my Ecobeasts :) driveshaft slip joint and report back if it fixes the shudder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2013 f150 screw 6.5 bed. I bought the truck and was happy with it tell I loaded it with a half load of wood and I shuddered from a start very very badly. All the dealers that I have called seem to be beating around the bush and say that they never herd of the problem. I think this is crap because there are 1000s of post out there saying that it is a huge problem with the ford and it has been going on for years. one dealer said try putting on air bags. most of my research says this wont help. last week my local dealer said he was ording some shims for the rear end. I called this week and he said sorry there are no parts kits for the shims. I am starting to think that I wish I went with something else. the shudder is so bad that I know that it cant be good for my truck. why wont ford fix this problem if it has been going on for so long. All the resurch I have done says that RAS kind of fixes this. wish ford would fix this.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've read about this shuddering mess on all other F150 forums I'm on. Not related to Ecoboost at all. And, been around for a few years on some trucks, not all seem to shudder. From all the reading I've done (a heap!!), this issue has not been totally solved yet, thus keeping me from a new truck. It's the main problem I read about with F150. Grease slip joint, use Raptor transmission mount, drive shaft angle, etc., etc., nope, none of those are permanent repairs for this shuddering...

·
Registered
191 Posts
.... last week my local dealer said he was ording some shims for the rear end. I called this week and he said sorry there are no parts kits for the shims.
It sounds like the dealer is trying to use wedge shims to tilt the diff to better align the u-joints. If you have a simple driveshaft with one u-joint on each end, your joint angles should match on both front and rear for the smoothest operation. Now, if your driveshaft has a cv joint on the front, like they do for short shafts at steep angles, then, for the smoothest operation you should have the rear joint as straight as possible. If you have lots of spring wrap, then your joint angles will be changing too much too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ordered RAS. Hopefully this Will help. Just sucks that I have to pay almost 400 to make my truck halfway normal in order to have a load.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ironman, did you get the RAS installed, and did it help?

I have the same truck (2013 EB SuperCrew 6.5 bed), the same issue, and the same lame explanation from my dealer.

The dealer recommended RAS, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had success going down that path before paying $595 to chase this problem further.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
943 Posts
Ironman, did you get the RAS installed, and did it help?

I have the same truck (2013 EB SuperCrew 6.5 bed), the same issue, and the same lame explanation from my dealer.

The dealer recommended RAS, but I'd like to know if anyone else has had success going down that path before paying $595 to chase this problem further.

Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
I have RAS on my truck. I wasn't having a bad problem before I installed it but, I did notice it sometimes. I haven't really had a chance to test the RAS under heavy load for a long time/trip yet.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I have RAS on my truck. I wasn't having a bad problem before I installed it but, I did notice it sometimes. I haven't really had a chance to test the RAS under heavy load for a long time/trip yet.
Does it stop wheel hop?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
20 Participants
14redloh62
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing