F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
all you experts with your opinions will never know the truth because not one of you are using the coils
I’m running MSD coils. They make zero more HP than the stock ones. I’m very certain that you will see/feel the same gains going to a new set of OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,941 Posts
The only way you would get more HP out of a set of coils is if the demand is greater than the OE coils can provide. I personally don’t believe an EB in stock configuration is asking for more than what the Ford part will deliver. That said, I’ve been wrong before. Now if you installed a new set of aftermarket coils that were replacing sub par (for whatever reason) coils then you’re probably on to something.

·
Administrator
10,270 Posts
I’m running MSD coils. They make zero more HP than the stock ones. I’m very certain that you will see/feel the same gains going to a new set of OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless I'm mistaken, you've actually spent some time on a Dyno with your truck, yes?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,594 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, you've actually spent some time on a Dyno with your truck, yes?

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
Yup, truck was on the dyno multiple times and will be again shortly.
I even have before and afters with the MSD coils. Less than 5hp difference, that I see that much difference between pulls with no changes.

IMO, coils do not make ANY hp, but they will degrade over time and going back to a new set will feel like a improvement.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Ford coils put out 18000 volts. Granatelli coils put out 60000 volts.Your choice
But how many "volts" do you need? If it ignites the fuel/air mixture, it ignites it. Doesn't matter if that's at 18KV, 60KV, or 5MV.

High-end engine builders (not just RMB) are turning stupid power out of these little engines and doing it with stock coils. If they don't feel a need to upgrade them on builds that are basically unlimited-budget, why should anyone else?

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
I didn't click the link. But, it's an awesome domain name!

Bubba's Ignition dot com

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
1,941 Posts
I didn't click the link. But, it's an awesome domain name!

Bubba's Ignition dot com

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I can’t tell you that you should (it isn’t a secure site) but I’ve read his stuff several times over the years. He’s a Flat Head Ford Guy and a legitimate ignition enthusiast.

I can see how that link might make you nervous. I pulled it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts