F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 18 Platinum Ecoboost. Looking for the most bang for my buck in performance modifications. Was thinking a tuner, cold air intake, and exhaust. Looking for opinions on each. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you’re looking for best bang for your buck the intake and exhaust aren’t the way to go. This has been discussed at length, try the search function and you’ll find plenty of info.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Best Bang

Bilsteins & a tune
Tune and Bilsteins
Bilsteins & a tune
Tune and Bilsteins
Bilsteins & a tune
Tune and Bilsteins
Bilsteins & a tune
Tune and Bilsteins
Bilsteins & a tune
Tune and Bilsteins
Bilsteins & a tune
Tune and Bilsteins

There. Saved ya search time.

Your next post should be "So who's got the best tunes? :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Oh, and "what setting is best for the front strut for height" :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
1. Tuner / tune. Huge HP gains possible and super easy. Mind your risk tolerance relative to your powertrain warranty. There are adaptive octane tunes, octane-specific tunes, and ethanol blend tunes (in order of increasing power). There are also tow tunes, economy tunes, and transmission-only tunes.
2. Intercooler. No HP gains, but you will "retain" HP by reducing heat soak. Best hard part bolt-on. Easy install.
3. Catted downpipes. Really the only exhaust mod that I'd consider for performance. Cat-back is mostly for sound. Catted downpipes are considered better (than catless) for retaining low end torque.
4. Bigger turbos. The next step to substantial power increases.

Cold air intake / drop-in filters aren't needed on our trucks until you've already increased HP by a substantial amount. Even then, the gains are marginal.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Best Bang

Bilsteins & a tune
Tune and Bilsteins
Bilsteins & a tune
Tune and Bilsteins
Bilsteins & a tune
Tune and Bilsteins
Bilsteins & a tune
Tune and Bilsteins
Bilsteins & a tune
Tune and Bilsteins
Bilsteins & a tune
Tune and Bilsteins

There. Saved ya search time.

Your next post should be "So who's got the best tunes? :)

And to this I would add a rear Hellwig Sway Bar.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
And to this I would add a rear Hellwig Sway Bar.
Not quite as low hanging fruit as it would be if finding them in stock wasn't so spotty.

But yea, for the co$t it's a humdinger of improvement.

If you think about it, If you take a brand spanking new F150, regardless of the trim level, and then compare how it runs, shifts, and handles to another identical F150 with a tune, Bilsteins, and sway bar......... You'd probably not believe how small the cost difference actually is.

Or put another way, you'd likely argue that Ford should sell the truck running, shifting, and handling that way.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
I personally didn’t any experience any issues in finding a Hellwig bar but I did a fair amount of searching to get a price I wanted to pay.
Maybe it was the front that can be hard to source. I just remember when Tifosi was sourcing both, they got one within a couple of days and waited weeks for the other.

And Jerry made quite the effort to locate the difficult one.

Bet you're right though. I probably have it backwards

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yeah, you know you got me to thinking. I went back and looked at my receipt, the confirmation and shipping dates. It was over 3 weeks apart. I believe you are right and they were likely in short supply. Time has clouded my mind.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yep... tune, Bilsteins, rear sway bar to start.

CAIs are proven useless. Zero benefit stock. Very, very minor benefits in certain edge cases tunes.
Exhaust? It's a twin-turbo V6. An exhaust just make it sound rice. You will never get a throaty V8 sound out of it, if that's what you're looking for. If you're looking to sound like a hopped-up Nissan, that's on you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same 3 on my list. Then I got the tuner. Now I forgot what the other two were.
The tuner is the biggest bang for the buck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
biglipps66
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing