F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 2017 f150 XTR 3.5 eb. Supercrew 302a with max tow package, 3.55’s (I think). Truck makes decent power but falls off on top. Looking into tuners and wondering if y’all have any suggestions. So far the truck is totally stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Mine does the same thing. But great power to about 85 mph and then meh. I thought that was how it just is on a stock 3.5. I can't really complain. Plus mines a slower , heavier 2013.

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
TT is made for low end torque not high end power.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Hello, I just bought a 2017 f150 XTR 3.5 eb. Supercrew 302a with max tow package, 3.55’s (I think). Truck makes decent power but falls off on top. Looking into tuners and wondering if y’all have any suggestions. So far the truck is totally stock. Any help would be greatly appreciated
I have no experience with the Gen 2 stuff, but maybe @snakebitten can share his experience.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
I have no experience with the Gen 2 stuff, but maybe @snakebitten can share his experience.
Thanks. But I'm not really the right guy for this one. I can't even relate to the complaint.

It's not often someone describes the most powerful 1/2 ton truck I've ever experienced like that. (no offense intended)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,264 Posts
Definitely not the first person to state this. The turbos start to run out of breath up there. Careful tuning can extend the power band.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
I guess it's a subjective thing.
Almost every machine (car truck bike tractor mower.....) I've ever had was either happy on one end or the other. Either hit on the lower spectrum OR was happier at full song on top.

Both can be exhilarating, of course, but few ever owned both ends equally. (A 3 cylinder motorcycle is the closest I've ever experienced)

Also, with diesels making up most of my truck years, this 3.5 does not seem to fall on its face up top to me. Comes on like a diesel on the bottom (relatively compared to small gas motors) and screams up to the shift point.

I might be too easy to please?
This ultra luxurious big truck is ridiculously fast. And it's 100% stock, with just a tune.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn’t aware of the proper forum adequate as I’ve never joined one. Couldn’t figure out how to edit my original post.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don’t know about any of the other 3.5s as my 18 is my first one. But it wasn’t until I hooked my tt to the thing that I was really impressed with the power it has. And when I walked away from a 5.0 mustang from a stop till the 106-7 speed limiter on the truck that I was impressed with the speed. I may be easy to please as well, but it’s hard for me to not be impressed by a full size truck that will haul a 12,000lb trailer around during the day and eat sports cars at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe I’m just hard to please lol. Love the power it makes around town but I’d like it to pull a little harder at highway speeds (70+). Hoping someone could tell me if a tuner would help...

·
Administrator
10,264 Posts
We have. Lol. A tune will 100% without the shadow of a doubt help. 100% more than any other bolt on mod you could do if done alone. A tune can make more power AND carry that power further into the rpm range.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Premium Member
5,944 Posts
Anytime you add 100 HP and 100lbs torque under the hood, hard not to notice.

Even at 70mph

Gen2 tuned on 93 flat out flies.
It's hard to believe a Pickup truck shaped like a brick can chase the wind like that.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Anytime you add 100 HP and 100lbs torque under the hood, hard not to notice.

Even at 70mph

Gen2 tuned on 93 flat out flies.
It's hard to believe a Pickup truck shaped like a brick can chase the wind like that.

That's what I was hoping you'd post up when I tagged you, as the OP was talking about tuners.

·
Registered
580 Posts
That's one of the issues with a truck, at highway speeds it takes a crap ton of power to make a literal aerodynamic brick "fast". A tune will help for sure as it will adjust everything to a more performance orientation instead of the factory "got to make everyone happy" tune. That also means driveability will change too if you get with one of the all out performance tunes, if its better or worse is a matter of personal preference.

I'm always happy with my stock truck when the 7500-8000 lb sail of a camper is behind it, it's not fast but all things considered it will get moving in a hurry if needed. It will still break both back tires lose with near max payload if you get on it to hard. It would be great if you didn't have to drag race assholes around here to make a lane change when towing but im glad the truck can scoot with the trailer.

·
Administrator
10,264 Posts
Stock power starts to dip after 4000 rpms. You'll find many who've driven both state that on the highway at higher rpms the 5.0 feels more powerful than the eco, but the eco spanks it everywhere else. The 5.0 makes a lot of horsepower at high rpms. We have small turbos and they don't blow too well at high rpms. It's just the nature of the Beast. Tuning can taper the boost better and carry some power higher into the rpm range.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

1 - 20 of 21 Posts