F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe not permanently but It's annoying to have to switch over to eco mode every morning when I get into my truck for my daily commute. I haven't found a way to set that as my setting upon start up. Is there a way to do it?

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Unfortunately I dont believe so. I dont see any way to do it in custom tuning, and I think it's just that the PCM will default to normal mode every restart.

·
Administrator
4,079 Posts
Maybe not permanently but It's annoying to have to switch over to eco mode every morning when I get into my truck for my daily commute. I haven't found a way to set that as my setting upon start up. Is there a way to do it?
What year and package of truck are you referring to? I'm not familiar with an 'eco-mode'?

·
Administrator
7,854 Posts
What year and package of truck are you referring to? I'm not familiar with an 'eco-mode'?
Time to Upgrade!!!

I know on all 2018 models there is a button either on the column shifter or tree shifter to switch from "Normal", "Snow/Wet", "Eco", "Tow-Haul", and "Sport" modes

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
ECO mode?

On purpose?

Or you trying to torture your ecoboost?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: mwemaxxowner

·
Administrator
7,854 Posts
ECO mode?

On purpose?

I've switched it to that once...wasn't a fan. May try it on my 3rd tank of fuel to see if it makes a difference in city driving

I know when you have "Sport" mode activated, the Auto Start/Stop function is disabled.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Personally I can hardly tell a difference between normal and "Eco" mode.

Eco mode seems like it just forces people with a lead foot to drive more like normal mode, lol

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
Exactly. Instead of hitting the start/stop button, hit the Sport button and make your truck HAPPY.

The ECO mode is to appease the Prius gene that we have all had awakened in us in our modern culture. It's not a bad thing if applied properly. (I love squeezing 60+mpg out of the Cmax. It's like a video game)

But ECO mode in the 3.5 feels like intentional early death by strangulation. The truck, that is.

Probably harmless for a short visit here and there for curiosity sake. But no way longterm lugging is a good thing.

Reactions: Boostking

·
Registered
207 Posts
ECO mode?

On purpose?

Cruising down the interstate for several hours at a time, cruise control set on 78, damn right I'm using Eco mode.

Reactions: milesej05

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
OK, but interstate cruise control IS ECO mode. So no harm no foul. :)

In fact, I suspect cruising at 70mph is going to use the same amount of fuel regardless of which "mode" is selected. (as long as it's cruising in the same gear)

·
Registered
207 Posts
OK, but interstate cruise control IS ECO mode. So no harm no foul. :)

In fact, I suspect cruising at 70mph is going to use the same amount of fuel regardless of which "mode" is selected. (as long as it's cruising in the same gear)

Cruising I-10 in Florida panhandle, it can get hilly. Well, hilly for us coastal flatlanders. Anyway, my truck constantly downshifted to 9th, and even 8th gear while in cruise control.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
For what its worth, Eco mode, just changes the shift schedule and the torque converter lock up points, as well as your pedal vs throttle. It basically dulls everything down and tries to shift up to keep RPM's low.

Power is the same. Fuel at a set speed will the the same, ie cruising 70 in 10th. The in between, city and traffic driving will benefit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I usually use Eco in cruise on the highway. I had it on the highway the other day and took it out of Eco. I did feel the truck pickup some power, a slight surge. In addition to the throttle and shift patterns I believe it takes away some boost.
Around town, Eco takes away all of the wholesome EcoBoost goodness.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I can assure you it doesnt take away boost. It may demand less torque, but I have yet to see a torque table associated with eco, or even sport mode for that matter. Overall performance will remain the same, with a duller feel to pedal and shifting.

As for boost, there are only one subset of tables/functions/scalars that handle it, along with the torque demand tables, however I dont see any where the PCM could change based on the mode. Just like sport mode doesnt run any more boost than normal, it just has different shifting and pedal feel.

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
Boostking, you're willingness to share your tuning knowledge and experience is VERY much appreciated. Although tuners can range from top-secret holders to those that will answer a few direct questions from a CUSTOMER, you openly share the facts.

You just confirmed what I believed to be the truth about modes. It's not 5 different tunes. It's one tune with 5 different methods of expression. Mostly throttle mapping and Tranny strategy.

Are there any other parameters that you know of that a Ford F150 mode can control?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Boostking, you're willingness to share your tuning knowledge and experience is VERY much appreciated. Although tuners can range from top-secret holders to those that will answer a few direct questions from a CUSTOMER, you openly share the facts.

You just confirmed what I believed to be the truth about modes. It's not 5 different tunes. It's one tune with 5 different methods of expression. Mostly throttle mapping and Tranny strategy.

Are there any other parameters that you know of that a Ford F150 mode can control?

I whole heartily agree.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Why not just hit the button after you start the truck?
why ask why LOL ...

$40 to keep it in sport mode is cheaper than the hundred and something for the one made to keep the auto-start off :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts