F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

561 - 577 of 577 Posts

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
We're considering a Great Pyrenese or similar shepharding dog to guard our chickens and goats. We have a donkey with them now and she is 100% useless. She has stood by while 23 chickens were taken by coyote and another by a hawk. I don't really expect her to do anything about a hawk but I don't understand why she just stands there and watches while a coyote, somtimes several coyote, circle the pen and jump in to grab a chicken.

This would be an outside dog for the most part, considering the role to be filled.
My inlaws have had 2 Pyrenees. Beautiful, sweet, and affectionate dogs, BUT...absolutely worthless as a guard dog or what your intentions are. LOL
In my humble opinion, get you a heeler/Australian Shepard. They are available everywhere around here, super smart, extremely loyal, and have an amazing shepherding intuition.

·
Premium Member
5,039 Posts
I don't get it. Why would a donkey not act like a donkey?
Even if it didn't go into protection mode, doesn't it start making a racket?

(I can hear 2 donkeys almost a quarter of a mile down the road when they get worked up about something)

So, what ya gonna do with that there donkey anyways? Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts

He's probably going to rename it Eeyore and give up hope that it'll be a productive donkey????

·
Premium Member
5,039 Posts
He's probably going to rename it Eeyore and give up hope that it'll be a productive donkey????
I'm thinking he should add another donkey. But still rename that first one appropriately, as you suggest.

·
Administrator
770 Posts
My inlaws have had 2 Pyrenees. Beautiful, sweet, and affectionate dogs, BUT...absolutely worthless as a guard dog or what your intentions are. LOL
In my humble opinion, get you a heeler/Australian Shepard. They are available everywhere around here, super smart, extremely loyal, and have an amazing shepherding intuition.
My Pyrenees would absolutely destroy someone trying to do bad things on my property. Last year there were 3 coyotes in the yard and he chased them down, caught one and pinned it in the ditch and killed it. Was pretty proud. Couldn't ask for a nicer more loyal dog around my family though.

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
My Pyrenees would absolutely destroy someone trying to do bad things on my property. Last year there were 3 coyotes in the yard and he chased them down, caught one and pinned it in the ditch and killed it. Was pretty proud. Couldn't ask for a nicer more loyal dog around my family though.
That's pretty impressive. My opinion of them is solely based on the two that my in-laws have/had. They had some suspicious activity on their property where some shady looking characters came up to the house, looked through their windows, checked to see if the garage door would raise up, etc. Nothing was stolen or damaged but after reviewing their security camera footage, they noticed that their GP (that was on the front porch the whole time, never got up, never even raised her head to look, just laid there and did NOTHING! LOL

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I won't make a purchase without doing a considerable amount of research, given the time and risk involved with buying and training an animal that will then be required to protect my animals and be nice to my kids all at the same time.

I don't get it. Why would a donkey not act like a donkey?
Even if it didn't go into protection mode, doesn't it start making a racket?

(I can hear 2 donkeys almost a quarter of a mile down the road when they get worked up about something)

I *thought* a donkey was a donkey so I bought a donkey. Turns out, some donkeys just don't care to protect. Some donkeys don't like smaller animals. Our donkey seems to have bonded with the goats. She hangs out with them all day and she stands by their enclosed pen when they're put up for the night. She couldn't care less about the chickens. I am very surprised that she will stand by, completely content, while the coyote steal chickens within 10-15 feet of her. She will be sold as soon as I cure the coyote problem - I have no place in my life for useless animals, especially when they eat and crap as much as a donkey. The solution most definitely won't be another donkey. On top of the other issues, she's very skittish and has kicked several of my kids - she kicked my 4 YO in the face a month or so back but it was only a glancing blow so I didn't go get my rifle and shoot the donkey dead like I wanted to. The solution for the coyote is most likely a taller fence or a guard dog. Maybe both. We shall see.

This is more in line with what I've seen in the limited research I've done thus far. As with any breed, some will do the job they were bred for better than others.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I won't make a purchase without doing a considerable amount of research, given the time and risk involved with buying and training an animal that will then be required to protect my animals and be nice to my kids all at the same time.

I *thought* a donkey was a donkey so I bought a donkey. Turns out, some donkeys just don't care to protect. Some donkeys don't like smaller animals. Our donkey seems to have bonded with the goats. She hangs out with them all day and she stands by their enclosed pen when they're put up for the night. She couldn't care less about the chickens. I am very surprised that she will stand by, completely content, while the coyote steal chickens within 10-15 feet of her. She will be sold as soon as I cure the coyote problem - I have no place in my life for useless animals, especially when they eat and crap as much as a donkey. The solution most definitely won't be another donkey. On top of the other issues, she's very skittish and has kicked several of my kids - she kicked my 4 YO in the face a month or so back but it was only a glancing blow so I didn't go get my rifle and shoot the donkey dead like I wanted to. The solution for the coyote is most likely a taller fence or a guard dog. Maybe both. We shall see.

This is more in line with what I've seen in the limited research I've done thus far. As with any breed, some will do the job they were bred for better than others.
if you lived in michigan, myself and a couple buddies would gladly help you out with the yote problem :)

I remember in college i was at a gun store and a guy was loading up on ammo (.410 shells, .17 shells, and .22 shells). The guy behind the counter asked why he was loading up on small game rounds. The customer explained that morning he let his dogs out like normal, and they came screaming back to the door scratching to get back in. he let them in confused, and 2 minutes later 3 yotes came right on his back porch looking for the dogs.

on a more positive note.. can't get a much better family dog than a bully.. protector? HA! This is our old female Cera (pronounced Sarah). She was amazing!

IMG_1917.JPG

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
We picked up two Great Pyrenees this past weekend. Both come from working dogs on legit farms / ranches (one 84 acres, the other 35 acres).

Samson (8 weeks old):

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

And Delilah (10 weeks old):

PSA to the local coyote: you’ve got a number of months before Samson comes looking for you...

·
Registered
384 Posts
My son and Leila, the dog he’s been begging for since he was diagnosed with leukaemia. Sadly, he has had a relapse and may not be able to spend time near her during the next phases of treatment and bone marrow transplant. Definitely a gentle soul from they day we got her at 4 months. She takes care of him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's awesome...a boy and his dog <3 Best of luck with the treatments...stay strong Brother.
We have a dog, parrot, beardie, and fish. It's a f'n zoo here...but they definately make a house a home.

561 - 577 of 577 Posts