F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a quick comparison between the OEM HID D3S bulbs versus Philips Extreme Vision XV2's.

Stumbled across the XV2's on TRS's website. They were labeled as being 150% brighter and slightly whiter (~5000k vs the OEM 4300k) then the stock bulbs. TRS did some testing and they found them to be almost twice as bright as their base morimoto replacement bulbs.

Decided to give them a shot. Since they had such a high price tag i wanted to do my own non professional scientific testing to confirm their worth.

Disclaimer, this is by no means a professional comparison. I used an inexpensive LX1330B Digital lux meter to compare bulb output. Pictures are just from my cell phone, but ISO and shutter speed were locked. Distance between headlights and wall was roughly 40-50'.

Also, I think I messed up the measurement of the XV2 left low beam. I probably didn't capture the hot spot correctly with the lux meter. Looking at the results from the right side, the left lux reading should have been a bit higher. Anyways the pics speak to the difference the best.

I think a projector retrofit is next on the list as soon as i can work up the courage to bake them open.

Results:

OEM low beam:
Left = 450 Lux
Right = 500 Lux
20181207_220656.jpg

Philips XV2 low beam:
Left = 500 Lux
Right = 860 Lux
20181207_225044.jpg

OEM high beam:
Left = 590 Lux
Right = 500 Lux
20181207_220712.jpg

Philips high beam:
Left = 920 Lux
Right = 1060 Lux
20181207_225054.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Mikedick77

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is this just a drop-in bulb that would work in a '16 Lariat?

The reason I ask is because I bought some cheap LED bulbs from Amazon that didn't have resistors or any other funky stuff on them and they screwed right into my 2012 F-250 XLT. I actually liked the light they produced.

I'm wanting to replace the high and low beams, but I'm seeing $200 per bulb set and some with resistors and some without.

I like the white LED light, and would really like to change all the bulbs, but I'm kinda confused as to what I can use and what I can't.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
Is this just a drop-in bulb that would work in a '16 Lariat?

The reason I ask is because I bought some cheap LED bulbs from Amazon that didn't have resistors or any other funky stuff on them and they screwed right into my 2012 F-250 XLT. I actually liked the light they produced.

I'm wanting to replace the high and low beams, but I'm seeing $200 per bulb set and some with resistors and some without.

I like the white LED light, and would really like to change all the bulbs, but I'm kinda confused as to what I can use and what I can't.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I would recommend these.

Here’s before low beam with zero external light

And here’s after low beam with zero external light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
It looks like the cutoff point is significantly higher with the LEDs. It makes your headlights blind everyone and me call you bad names.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And iso/exposure wernt locked. Your comparison pics are useless. I can make my fogs look 10x brighter with the right camera settings.

LEDs aren't made for halogen Headlight optics. If you want better headlights do a proper retrofit.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts