F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I would think the turbos would need to be at or near max flow to see substantial gains from the tubes.

Its the same as with a CAI. All you are doing is increasing the pressure/density going into the compressor. If you increase the density going in, then you can get more mass flow going out. If the turbos are not already maxed out though, then they are going to magically flow more.
So if this direct line into the turbo, allows for more flow, does that mean it is going to see lower boost level if you don't change the tune because it is more effeincent? Also how does this all this going in work if it cannot get pushed through intercooler and out exhaust efficiently?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Centrifugal blowers and turbos are highly effected buy restriction on front side of compressor, not on back side. The tubes have been something I’ve said from my first 2011 that needed to be replaced. But everyone was on the “don’t need intake” bandwagon and they considered the tubes part of that. AMS isn’t some small shop. They are the best at what they do. If ams wanted to just sell parts they would have made a intake and been done, like everyone else had done. They don’t offer a intake yet and may never. I will be getting the tubes and will do before and after pulls on my 2017 on E85 with only cat back.

I don’t think the Navigator will have any issues with 12.0, the truck counterparts are in mid 11’s. Still don’t get how the gen 1 guys don’t get how much faster gen 2 is especially with the 18+ turbos. (Considering they are larger than the full race gt turbos and the $4K precision turbos) don’t want to start a argument again but dang, some ppl just need to accept their platform isn’t as capable as the newer one and get over it or buy the better platform. Anyway good luck on your goals and hope to keep hear the Nav getting faster and faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
Centrifugal blowers and turbos are highly effected buy restriction on front side of compressor, not on back side. The tubes have been something I’ve said from my first 2011 that needed to be replaced. But everyone was on the “don’t need intake” bandwagon and they considered the tubes part of that. AMS isn’t some small shop. They are the best at what they do. If ams wanted to just sell parts they would have made a intake and been done, like everyone else had done. They don’t offer a intake yet and may never. I will be getting the tubes and will do before and after pulls on my 2017 on E85 with only cat back.

I don’t think the Navigator will have any issues with 12.0, the truck counterparts are in mid 11’s. Still don’t get how the gen 1 guys don’t get how much faster gen 2 is especially with the 18+ turbos. (Considering they are larger than the full race gt turbos and the $4K precision turbos) don’t want to start a argument again but dang, some ppl just need to accept their platform isn’t as capable as the newer one and get over it or buy the better platform. Anyway good luck on your goals and hope to keep hear the Nav getting faster and faster.

When I found out about the 18+ turbos, I had to try them on my Gen1. I haven't been dissapointed...

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
So if this direct line into the turbo, allows for more flow, does that mean it is going to see lower boost level if you don't change the tune because it is more effeincent? Also how does this all this going in work if it cannot get pushed through intercooler and out exhaust efficiently?
The compressors flow is limited to a certain volume it can pull in the inlet. If you can increase the density of that volume, then the compressor is capable of flowing more mass. It might spin the compressor slower and pick up some efficiency by putting the turbo farther from its limits. Less wastegate so less boost is required.

Its the same reason i get **** for power here in Utah. The pressure at the inlet of the turbo is 20% lower so the turbo flows 20% less mass. My turbos stop flowing around 38 lbs here.

Ive thought about a CAI just to see if i can scratch out a few more lbs of flow by reducing the pressure drop through the filter. I wish these tubes were available cause they would help too.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts

This is a good explanation for most. The reason the bandwagon of tubes not needed replacement is because you are limited on fuel/power level before the turbo is maxed out (except some of these high alt guys). What is the point of pay for tubes to make turbo breathe better if you're stuck at same level?

There are new trucks, non HO, running 11s? The non HO motor is same turbo as always, only the HO is bigger than "GT." If a normal truck is runnings 11s, I would bet that is primarily due to weight and probably e50 tune. I doubt they would run 11s on 93 with a "safer tune"

Even if the navigator is capable of more power with the HO, it has a curb weight of almost 6000 lbs. With driver and other factors, it will be well over 6k. That quickly slows things down. A 12.0, I will be amazed.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
This is a good explanation for most. The reason the bandwagon of tubes not needed replacement is because you are limited on fuel/power level before the turbo is maxed out (except some of these high alt guys). What is the point of pay for tubes to make turbo breathe better if you're stuck at same level?

There are new trucks, non HO, running 11s? The non HO motor is same turbo as always, only the HO is bigger than "GT." If a normal truck is runnings 11s, I would bet that is primarily due to weight and probably e50 tune. I doubt they would run 11s on 93 with a "safer tune"

Even if the navigator is capable of more power with the HO, it has a curb weight of almost 6000 lbs. With driver and other factors, it will be well over 6k. That quickly slows things down. A 12.0, I will be amazed.
Some guy ran an 11.59 in an e85 stock turbo 2018 or 2019 non HO recently. I believe it was a 4x4 screw even, not some ultra light weight hero run. Has most of the “bolt ons” plus the xdi pump.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Some guy ran an 11.59 in an e85 stock turbo 2018 or 2019 non HO recently. I believe it was a 4x4 screw even, not some ultra light weight hero run. Has most of the “bolt ons” plus the xdi pump.
Not to take anything away of the truck but the truck probably had 400+lbs of weight reduction over normal super crews I've seen....I'd call it a huge difference for sure.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
Having some shirts made for SCT 10/19

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
A 12.0? WTF? I know you're running e85 and have the bigger HO turbos but that thing is heavier than Tremor. My only goal is the run 12.5 on straight 93. Not a race car but still disappointing to know a Navigator could be quicker, although not a 93 tune vs 93 tune though.

Good luck.
Is it particularly heavier than an Explorer? A '20 Ex ST just ran a 12.2.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

6K pounds but also the HO 3.5L which can make considerably more power from my understanding.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I don't know how that compares to the Explorer though. I'm assuming they're close in weight.

Quick search says Navi is 1300lbs heavier :)

·
Registered
4,757 Posts

wtf? what mods? You have to take internet times with grain of salt bc they leave details out

·
Administrator
10,123 Posts
What Blown said.

I thought I had the 12.2 run but this video isn't it, it was still stock here on 93. I'll keep digging. I haven't seen one loaded to YouTube yet.

Got it!

I'm not much into drag racing, but I'm guessing an extra 1300 lbs is going to make it tough!

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
See what i mean, they tuned it on 93 plus torco, so throwing extra timing at it and it ran 12.7. On a normal 93 tune it wont have the extra timing. I should still be able to cover with truck.

I plan on doing HPFP when MIke gets me information on his tremor testing

81 - 100 of 100 Posts