F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

361 - 372 of 372 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts

Went down to Valley of Fire State Park for a long weekend.

This was the second time I have towed using the stock tune and I noticed on bigger grades it would start to lose power at some point during the climb. I could push through it, but it was very noticeable that it would start cutting back and I’d have to give it a little more gas or down shift to keep it rolling.

The temps were low. <50F the whole trip and even got down to 16F right before i got home. So my IAT’s were never much more than 60F and coolant never above 220F. It was odd. I wonder if it was CAT or Manifold protection kicking in.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts

Went down to Valley of Fire State Park for a long weekend.

This was the second time I have towed using the stock tune and I noticed on bigger grades it would start to lose power at some point during the climb. I could push through it, but it was very noticeable that it would start cutting back and I’d have to give it a little more gas or down shift to keep it rolling.

The temps were low. QUOTE]

The truck probably thought the CATs were overheating so it enriched the mixture. Then again it is only a calculated figure the PCM comes up with. So in reality your CATs were most likely perfectly fine. That does make sense why some tuners raise the values to delay the enrichment. If only there was a way we could monitor EGTs

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
The truck probably thought the CATs were overheating so it enriched the mixture. Then again it is only a calculated figure the PCM comes up with. So in reality your CATs were most likely perfectly fine. That does make sense why some tuners raise the values to delay the enrichment. If only there was a way we could monitor EGTs
You could drill a set of holes in a fancy pair of CRP manifolds lol.

When i swapped my Jeep turbo I had my buddy drill/tap a 1/8” NPT hole into an unused boss on the turbine housing. It worked nicely and caught the exhaust as it was entering the turbine.

The enrichment does not seem to be a sudden thing though. Ive been watching afr, and when you start the climb its close to a lambda of 1 and then gradually richens the longer you climb. This seemed like it was a very quick thing. One second it would be chugging along, the next it would start losing speed.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
You could drill a set of holes in a fancy pair of CRP manifolds lol.

When i swapped my Jeep turbo I had my buddy drill/tap a 1/8” NPT hole into an unused boss on the turbine housing. It worked nicely and caught the exhaust as it was entering the turbine.

The enrichment does not seem to be a sudden thing though. Ive been watching afr, and when you start the climb its close to a lambda of 1 and then gradually richens the longer you climb. This seemed like it was a very quick thing. One second it would be chugging along, the next it would start losing speed.
I guess the day my manifolds warp,I will put an EGT sensor in. Surprisingly my manifolds still haven’t warped on my 2011. No signs of carbon tracking nothing.

It would be nice if BK or Torrie or Matt could chime in and help us out.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I guess the day my manifolds warp,I will put an EGT sensor in. Surprisingly my manifolds still haven’t warped on my 2011. No signs of carbon tracking nothing.

It would be nice if BK or Torrie or Matt could chime in and help us out.
See, I’ve done it twice now, and don’t wanna do it again, so i plan on just using the stock tune with maybe a tweaked transmission shift schedule from here on out.

I could use gearhead but their transmission shifting was not great.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
2,268 Posts
Don’t be afraid to downshift and then downshift again if needed. No way I would be waiting on the PCM or tune to decide when to downshift. I am normally 3rd gear and 60 mph up even the steepest hills in 90-100 degree heat and just let er eat. I don’t have them fancy gauges to make me overthink or paranoid.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Don’t be afraid to downshift and then downshift again if needed. No way I would be waiting on the PCM or tune to decide when to downshift. I am normally 3rd gear and 60 mph up even the steepest hills in 90-100 degree heat and just let er eat. I don’t have them fancy gauges to make me overthink or paranoid.
Im almost always climbing in 3rd

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Just saying, go to 2nd if ya want. The engine can take high revs a lot better than high boost.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Just saying, go to 2nd if ya want. The engine can take high revs a lot better than high boost.
I cant downshift to 2nd with 3.73’s until something like 55 mph

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I've hung on 6000 rpm's for a few minutes at a time. Engine seems to like it.

361 - 372 of 372 Posts