F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 2393 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
What kind of suspension help are you using I have almost the same size trailer
If you're asking me (sorry - it's not clear who you're directing your question too!), then I'm using an Andersen "no sway" WD setup on my 21' cargo trailer. The truck's suspension is "stock".

I originally wanted me to use my existing Robin Industries WD hitch (with round bars), However the round bars were too long for the really really short A-frame on this cargo trailer (i was unable to locate shorter bars - apparently Curt makes some, but they are in supply constraint right now, so no-go).

Instead I bought the Andersen 3380 "no sway" unit from a US-based eBay store. Despite $35 in freight charges & $110 in duties & brokerage fees, this setup was still +$200 cheaper than buying it locally here in Canada!

The Anderson hitch worked really well on a decent run today, doing a great job of levelling everything up - I was very impressed by it's performance.

As an (related) aside, i took this trailer for a 340Km round-trip run today (full one way - we're getting ready to move at the end of this month, so I hauled a load of crap to storage closer to the new place). We had some pretty nasty winds & snow flurries up here today, the truck stayed level, with great steering and brakes, but the tires were more than a little squirrelly at anything over 90Km/h on the highway (I'm not a speed demon when towing, but I like to sit around 100-105Km/h).. More pressure in the tires might have helped, but I think i'll be looking to invest in tires with a stronger sidewall than my OEM Wrangler SR-A's before I attempt to tow my 35' RV with this truck...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Wow SPPD! I think you might have the record on here for towing the longest travel trailer :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It is long, but it is not really very heavy even fully loaded it comes in under 9k. Unloaded tongue is under 700lbs. We were very surprised that we could get so much trailer within our weights. Before this trailer I have never towed over a 30 foot trailer. Being the short wheelbase I am a little concerned, but so far it tows really nice.

SPPD

·
Registered
943 Posts
Please keep us posted on the Andersen Hitch. I am interested in getting one and would like to know how it is working for you. I'm pulling an R-Vision 27' Trail Bay travel trailer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Please keep us posted on the Andersen Hitch. I am interested in getting one and would like to know how it is working for you. I'm pulling an R-Vision 27' Trail Bay travel trailer.
Did another run with more stuff for storage this past Saturday - the trailer (~2700lbs) + cargo (~4000lbs), truck and 4 adult (mostly!) guys (~850lbs), fair weather (no winds). The 160Km each-way drive on mostly freeway roads, with cruise set to ~105 Km/h was completely non-eventful using the Andersen hitch. I'll take that as a "win" for this hitch setup.

I like how simple it is to setup. The first time I used it it took some time to get it set right (as do all WD hitches) but this weekend was an absolute breeze. I like even more how drama-less the whole towing process was Using this thing - and as it should be!

I'll likely be doing another run some time this week... I'll try to remember to take a pic or two of the setup and post 'em here...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Pictures would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Andersen 1 resized.jpg The Install was very easy and the quality of the unit and hardware seem very good. Andersen 2 resized.jpg I did not want to add any chain to make the frame brackets clear the propane tanks, so I had to move the propane tank tray 2 inches forward to ensure no rubbing on the tanks (for safety sake lol) Andersen 3 resized.jpg Installed using the Andersen recommended starting compression of 7 threads and 1/4 inch (2000lbs). It was nice and level at this point, but I will probably go one more thread to see where that puts me on my next trip.

I will be going to the Cat Scales before my 1200 mile trip in June just to make sure that the weights are at maximum safety.

My combination required the 8 inch lift/drop version of the Andersen, and I am going to experiment with the ball rise to bring the nose of the trailer down just slightly when I go to the scales and dial it in. I have no rear sag at all at the minimum recommended compression and the whole thing is nice and level. I am using the set screws in the no-drill option on the brackets. If I get any sliding of the brackets I will have the brackets welded rather than drill the frame, but the set screws seem to be holding fine in the no-drill configuration. I will be checking the set screws and all bolts every 100 miles or so and will torque them down as needed if they loosen at all from use.

I created an Andersen No-Sway WDH thread http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/17-f150-ecoboost-towing/313-andersen-no-sway-wdh.html and I will be posting all additional information over there, as I don't want to hijack this thread any further.

Regards

SPPD

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hooked up and ready to go. This was before we took off on our Winter Excurison.

Truck hooked up and ready to go 2.jpg

·
Registered
943 Posts
We traveld 6125 miles from MIchigan to Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, & Kentucky. Truck did a great job pulling the trailer just, wish the mileage was better.

·
Registered
589 Posts
EGOBEAST (Nice name by the way)- This is a EPIC picture and should be posted on every RV forum out there so all the haters and doubters can see the truth and ability in that the Eco's can in fact tow a big size 5th wheeler! :D
10,200lbs dry what does your final load out weight end up at? has to be up by the 12.5k to 13k range right? I bet the truck handles all of that with good manners and power to spare! You have to share the down low on tranny temp, etc. The MPG is really good too for such a load. I averaged about the same pulling a conventional trailer weight around 12.5k.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Egobeast,

That is a huge beautiful 5er! I tow a 36 footer bumper pull travel trailer and that thing just makes me feel small. Welcome to the forums and have a great camping season.

SPPD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Egobeast,

That is a huge beautiful 5er! I tow a 36 footer bumper pull travel trailer and that thing just makes me feel small. Welcome to the forums and have a great camping season.

SPPD
I had a 32 foot bumper pull and it had a lot of sway in the wind or when a big truck passed you on the interstate. The fifth wheel is heavier and longer and has none of the same sway and is easier to drive. Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Got this one loaded. Its a 37ft puma toy hauler. 10200 dry 1400 pound hitch pin. Slider hitch. At 60 MPH 8.5-9 mpg.
Now thats the S_ _ _! Looks like a bear F'ing a football! I love it.lol

41 - 60 of 2393 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
2.4K Replies
698 Participants
milesej05
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing