F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the deal with the Pirelli tires some of the F150 come stock with. I see many bad reviews regarding these tires. Anyone experiencing problems with these tires?

HowFX2

·
Registered
191 Posts
A friend of mine had the Pirelli tires on his 2011 Platinum. He got just over 60,000 miles out of them and liked them well enough to buy another set. I think they are a quality tire and so far I like mine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
From what I have read they are great tires on road and rain, but off road and snow is where most are not happy with them. I am happy with them so far..

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Pirelli's that came on my wife's Expedition were junk in my opinion. Didn't like the ride and I got more flats with them than any tire I've ever had. I replaced them with Michelin's and have been very pleased.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2010 FX4 came stock with Pirelli Scorpions. They aren't very aggressive but they did fine in the rain, snow and light off-road. They were still on the truck when I traded it last yr.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2011 FX4 came with 275/55R20 Pirelli Scorpions as well and I consider them poor at best. Their wet and dry grip was average at best and their off-road grip almost non-existent. At 28k miles I replaced them with Nitto Terra Grapplers which have proven to be AMAZING tires. Granted, I've only got a few hundred miles on them, and upgraded to 275/65R20's after dropping a 2.5-inch leveling kit onto the front of the truck, but their grip, wet/dry and off-road is amazing. IF, and that's a big if, you can get them to chirp, they deliver a really impressive low growl unlike the Pirelli that could be broken free almost at will even with the traction control on. As long as the Nitto's deliver 30k miles, I'll consider them a MASSIVE improvement. Only time, and mileage, will tell I guess.

·
Registered
46 Posts
2011 FX4 came with 275/55R20 Pirelli Scorpions as well and I consider them poor at best. Their wet and dry grip was average at best and their off-road grip almost non-existent. At 28k miles I replaced them with Nitto Terra Grapplers which have proven to be AMAZING tires. Granted, I've only got a few hundred miles on them, and upgraded to 275/65R20's after dropping a 2.5-inch leveling kit onto the front of the truck, but their grip, wet/dry and off-road is amazing. IF, and that's a big if, you can get them to chirp, they deliver a really impressive low growl unlike the Pirelli that could be broken free almost at will even with the traction control on. As long as the Nitto's deliver 30k miles, I'll consider them a MASSIVE improvement. Only time, and mileage, will tell I guess.
Do you have any pics that you can post up? I would love to see how they look on your truck. The nitto tires on my 20" fx4 rims is what I am leaning towards.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't think there is a one tire suites all offered in todays tire market. Everyone will want a little something different in their expectations of the road rubber under their vehicle. This will also vary greatly by ones expectations directly tied to their manner of driving.

As for the Pirelli Scorpions on my FX4, they get me down the road just find. Handle driving in rain with grip and ease. Would I have confidence in taking them off road...yes, on the surface that is dry or slightly damp. I would not have confidence in going mudding with such a light treat pattern, nor rock climbing due to sidewall design and lack of grip.

I ran these tires on our 2003 EB 4x4 Expedition and got over 65,000 miles out of them, but yes 99.5% of those miles were solid surface roads. As for them remaining on my FX4, I see no reason to require anything more aggressive. I don't mud, or rock climb anymore, the Pirelli tire ride nice smooth quite and get the job done.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It seems that many people are not happy with these tires. My brother had Pirelli's on his truck, and they performed well. They are not the best tires though enough to provide good traction on and off the road.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2013 Lariat came stock with Pirelli Scorpions. They do fine in the rain and light off-road. So far they are doing good on the beach as well. Oh that reminds me, need to go fishing.:D

·
Registered
860 Posts
My stock tires were on the truck just a few weeks before I pulled them off and went with BFGs.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Have 30k miles on mine And they are still going strong. Really don't understand all the bad reviews. They offer a sport like ride on dry and wet pavement and have a firmer feel to them then my previous stock tire (Good Year Long Trail). I have mashed through all kinds of snow in them, thick wet, thin packed with icy spots, etc. They did at least as well as my previous Good Year Long Trails, but I have nothing else to compare them to in snow/ice.

Dont think they'll be my first choice next time I buy tires, but I am happy with them, no legitimate complaints. I hear they have a bit higher rolling resistance and as a street tire it shows because they grip well. I have also never had a problem with the alleged flat spots..??.. Maybe I could stretch and say they aren't always perfectly smooth, but I attribute that more to their sporty/stiffer feel which is a good thing IMO.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
...Dont think they'll be my first choice next time I buy tires, but I am happy with them, no legitimate complaints. ...

That pretty much sums up my feeling towards my ATRs. I would rate them "adequate" as a summer, street tire but inadequate as an off-road or winter tire.

I'm not a "Pirellie Tire Fan" at the best of times. I'll be looking around when it's time to replace them.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
LOL Pirelli's arent made for off road, if your going there get some BFG's or Mickey T's...
Actually I have been looking at some Cooper's. I've been told some good things about them, so I am checking them out for my next "replacement tire".

Problem is, I am thinking I need three sets of tires ... one for winter (now required by law where I live from Oct to Mar), one for the street (for traction) and one for serious Off-Road (if want to explore the back country).

·
Registered
943 Posts
I had a set of coopers on my F-350 and would never own another set. Poor traction and poor wear.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I had a set of coopers on my F-350 and would never own another set. Poor traction and poor wear.
Well that sucks. Do you remember which particular product?

I know that I had some real bad luck with some Pirelli's a few years back (the tread separated on each tire, one tire at a time). Eventually I just threw the whole set out and vowed never to buy another set.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well that sucks. Do you remember which particular product?

I know that I had some real bad luck with some Pirelli's a few years back (the tread separated on each tire, one tire at a time). Eventually I just threw the whole set out and vowed never to buy another set.
I don't remember what the name of the Coopers was. They were an LT tire. Very poor traction and didn't wear well either.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
So Wayne, what tire do you lean to for Summer Highway use and Off-Road use? I have gone with Hankook RW11s for my winter tires. I had Hankooks before on a car and they gave me good traction in snow & ice; even when stopped on a hill. So I was willing to give them a try again.

In the past, I have leaned to Michelins but they ticked me off. I had a brand new set of four just one summer season on our car and picked up a nail in the side wall. Unfortunately, Michelin stopped making that particular brand of tire and I could not find a single in the correct size anywhere, they even checked various warehouses across Canada. They wanted me to buy a minimum two new tires and preferably four new tires.

So I am a bit ticked at Michelin right now.

·
Registered
943 Posts
So Wayne, what tire do you lean to for Summer Highway use and Off-Road use? I have gone with Hankook RW11s for my winter tires. I had Hankooks before on a car and they gave me good traction in snow & ice; even when stopped on a hill. So I was willing to give them a try again.

In the past, I have leaned to Michelins but they ticked me off. I had a brand new set of four just one summer season on our car and picked up a nail in the side wall. Unfortunately, Michelin stopped making that particular brand of tire and I could not find a single in the correct size anywhere, they even checked various warehouses across Canada. They wanted me to buy a minimum two new tires and preferably four new tires.

So I am a bit ticked at Michelin right now.
I had two sets of Bridgstone Dueler Revo 2 AT on my F-350 and really like them. I'll put them on my "Boostie" as soon as the Goodyears are worn down more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts