F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2013 SHO with performance package last September and I've had some ongoing issues with it so I'm planning to dump it and get into a F150 at some point in the near future. At the end of the day I'm more of a truck guy anyways so I'm hoping this will be a step in the right direction. I currently have a loaded 2013 Supercrew FX4, EcoBoost of course, on 'extended test drive' and I really like it...reminds me of the SHO in a lot of ways, just not as quick off the line but I'm sure some mods can get it right up there in terms of performance.

I guess my biggest dilemma moving forward with the F150 purchase is I like all the fancy extras the FX4 offers but I plan to use this truck like a truck...hitting some fairly rough trails while hunting, hauling ATVs around, etc. I can't really see myself doing that with a $40k+ truck so I'm kind of leaning towards more of a base model, maybe even a Supercrew XL, and doing modifications which fit my needs. I'm thinking those mods would be a little cosmetic stuff like getting rid of chrome (just not my thing) along with a leveling kit, 33x12.5 tires with aftermarket 17" wheels and a Livernois tune to start. I have a little time to think things over while I work with Ford on the SHO and any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

One way or the other I'll have an EcoBoost F150 in the near future and I look forward to visiting this forum often.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think you are on the right path. Whatever trim package you decide on, you will modify it to fit your needs. I have owned an XLT, Lariat, and now a King Ranch. All three I added and subtracted things to meet my needs. I just chose the package at the time that met most of my wish list. Look carefully at all, decide what mods you would want to do and then figure the price difference based on that. I totally understand using the truck as a truck, as I use my King Ranch for hunting, fishing, and towing. But no matter what trim the truck is, I guarantee you will still take care of it and want it to look nice. I absolutely love my ecoboost! Good luck and can't wait to hear about your choice!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a 2010 SHO and now have a 2013 XLT Super Crew EcoBoost, both are a lot of fun to drive. They only thing I really miss from the SHO interior is the cooled seats, I really liked that option. But with cloth seats in the XLT it isn't a big deal like it would be with leather. If you want a good value look at the 302A Option package for the XLT, it adds a lot at a very reasonable price. With the 302A Package and the optional cloth bucket seats I'm quite comfortable...

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I too own an XLT ... with MOST of the options available. I bought it last month at a "Ford Employee Price Sale" where the dealership wanted to clear out the lot for the 2014s, and I got a very good price for my XLT (I have been buying all my vehicles like this for the last 40 years). But, I really was at the "price point" where I probably should have upgraded to the next level (FX2) which would have given me virtually all the options added to my XLT (and plus some).

But I just like the looks of the XLT, so I went with it. I find the XLT has enough options to make it comfortable and convenient to drive (especially on longer trips) BUT, not so much it becomes almost "luxurious" and you are afraid to use it like a truck.

I also suffer a bad back and getting a comfortable seating position is important. I don't have telescopic steering, but I do have tilt steering, adjustable pedals and power seat. I find the combination gives me a very comfortable position with the cloth bucket seat. Where I live, leather seats look great but for only a while. I also find many leather seats are too hard on my back (compared to cloth). Finally, virtually EVERY leather seat in 5-10 years look horrible. And I tend to own all my vehicles around 10 years before I buy something new.

I would add, that IF you plan to use your truck as a truck, the standard rubber floor mats on the lower models is preferred. My brother is looking for the "base model" 4x4 Supercab with an Ecoboost engine, and having no luck. The dealerships just don't order them (probably not enough markup). We get a lot of snow in winter which makes carpeted floor mats impractical with the snow/ice getting dragged in, and then melts on your nice clean carpet. I find it ironic I have to buy and install rubber floor mats for all my vehicles with carpet for that reason.

Also, I would recommend getting the spray-in bedliner if your plan to use your truck like a truck. Mine came with the "drop in" bed-liner and I'm debating about pulling it out and going "spray-in".

·
Registered
537 Posts
Buy what you want, not what you will settle for or you will always have buyers remorse. Doesn't matter if the truck cost $24K or $54K it will scratch, dent and get dirty.
We had a 2013 FX4 Ecoboost crew and a 2013 SHO up until this last week and the FX4 Eco was replaced with an FX4 Diesel 350. I far preferred driving the FX4 over the wifes SHO. And trust me the F150 can be made as fast as or more so than a SHO. Not to mention that even my new F350 FX4 has a smoother ride than the SHO with the performance Pkg.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Well until recently the F150 couldn't touch a SHO with a tune and meth injection. They ran mid/low 12's easily. With the new turbo upgrades that are coming out for the F150 we should be able to get them into the 12's and then 11's once the Tremor comes out BUT there's also turbos coming out for the SHO which could possibly put it in the very low 11's and with some interior removal possibly high 10's.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Buy what you want and remember it is a truck. If you want all the fancy stuff, get it. Just don't be upset if it gets scratched, dented, or dirty while serving its purpose.

Go for it and do it right, one time, with no remorse.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have and FX4 eco, and I have to say, I love it. I take it hunting, fishing, camping and a bit of offroad. Just make sure that it has the features that you want and just keep in mind that it will not be shiny and new forever but that is the beauty about a truck. No matter how much dirt and mud you put on it, it will still be beautiful. My FX4 has enough features to make the wife happy and comfortable while giving me the rugged features that I want for my outdoor activities.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! Here is the truck I'm currently considering. Any thoughts on what a fair price should look like? I have a number worked out but I just want to be sure I'm not off base.

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=1FTFW1ET5DFD01139
If you haven't already, run your specs through truecar.com. I was able to get close to $9k under MSRP for my FX4, though this probably depends on the area of the country you're in as well.

·
Registered
565 Posts
that is practically the same truck i have but i have the bucket seats and when i bought it i was happy but now I regret not spending the extra money on the fx4 or the lariat for the nicer interior that i really wanted and i feel like i made a $40,000 mistake.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Welcome to the Forum,

You cant go wrong with any EcoBeast! With that being said, make sure you get what you want!

SPPD

·
Registered
565 Posts
that is practically the same truck i have but i have the bucket seats and when i bought it i was happy but now I regret not spending the extra money on the fx4 or the lariat for the nicer interior that i really wanted and i feel like i made a $40,000 mistake.
that being said i love the truck i love the power and everything. i just kick my self when i see the fx4 interiors

1 - 13 of 13 Posts