F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New to the site and I have a question about potentially dipping my bumpers.

The truck is XLT tuxedo black with chrome bumpers, which I want to match the tuxedo black as closely as possible. Can anyone recommend how I'd get them as close to the factory body color as possible? I'm not a fan of the flat black in contrast with the glossy tuxedo. Would it be the metalizer, pearlescent or just gloss finish for the dip?

Thanks! 10420152_10154242559710441_9106933940204276772_n.jpg

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have never personally used plastidip on my truck. However, I have watched my boss plasti his audi. It looks flat. Not extremely flat but its def flat. You may have to have it painted and the paint mix matched to your truck. Otherwise I'd say you find a pearlescent spray and gloss coat it some how maybe even. I think the plasti would match the black plastic license plate portions of the bumper way more than the glossiness on the truck. I am in no way a paint expert. hope this helps.

Also that the cool concept of plasti...if you dont like how it turns out PEEL it off! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

I know plasti dip does make a metalizer that has the metal flake in it, as well as a gloss and pearlescent top coat, it's just a pain to want to invest the time (not so much the $ as it's pretty cheap) without knowing what kind of matching I'll see.

·
Registered
7,420 Posts
Those metallizers and pearls don't come in black. The black only comes matte and you can spray glossifier on it which looks to be more of a satin clear. Only option for black.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I thought the metalizer was in addition to whatever color you want to do? Just like how the glossifier works. I should have clarified that I was thinking about the silver metalizer with the black dip, but I'm not sure if that would be the closest match for the tuxedo. I can't really tell if the the metal flakes in the TB are just silver or a combination of colors.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The way I did my truck was by using the dip on 4-6 coats so you can get a heavy coat and then find your local shop and by a spray can of your actual color and spray that over the dip. You will still be able to peel the dip later on if desired or if you don't like the finish you can retouch over that. That's how I did mine. I want to add plastidip gloss later on to see if it matches even more but the match is near exact if not exact.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The way I did my truck was by using the dip on 4-6 coats so you can get a heavy coat and then find your local shop and by a spray can of your actual color and spray that over the dip. You will still be able to peel the dip later on if desired or if you don't like the finish you can retouch over that. That's how I did mine. I want to add plastidip gloss later on to see if it matches even more but the match is near exact if not exact.
Awesome idea, thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks spectacular, Cb. Would you be able to post a front-facing picture with a bit better lighting? I'm just curious to see the contrast of the TB with the plasti dip.

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just plastidipped my wheels last night. Looks good for less than 30 dollars haha. Although I used some of the glossifier after and I'm not too impressed with it. If I had to do it again I wouldn't use glossifier.

image-545185012.jpg

·
Registered
902 Posts
Just plastidipped my wheels last night. Looks good for less than 30 dollars haha. Although I used some of the glossifier after and I'm not too impressed with it. If I had to do it again I wouldn't use glossifier.

View attachment 15699
The Glossifier is worthless! I tested some on an old valve cover I had lying around, and it looked like s*** with the glossifier.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts