F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about Plasti Dip it's getting pretty big and seems like a cheap alternative for coatings on different car parts, I'm thinkin about doing my rims with black plasti dip just to see what my car would look like.

Any Thoughts/ Opinions?

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've used Plasti Dip on several items and really like it. The really cool thing is if you don’t like it you can just peal it off. I've done wheels with black and my engine cover with white. On items that take some beating (ex. wheels) you will have to recoat from time to time, my engine cover has been done for 10,000 miles/8 months and it looks as good as the day i did it.
WP_000265 (2).jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude that looks badass haha, this plasti dip stuff gets me all excited haha, I have a black XLT with Chrome package I'm probably gonna dip my rims and different chrome parts

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST

·
Registered
74 Posts
Used it on my emblems and worked great. And overspray comes right off w a little goo gone. My grill has a few chips in it and it will be done next.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Used it on my emblems and worked great. And overspray comes right off w a little goo gone. My grill has a few chips in it and it will be done next.
Is it pretty easy to put on, can you post some pics. I'm thinking my emblems too, gonna black them out.

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST

·
Registered
74 Posts
20130619_195118-2.jpg

Very easy to apply. I only taped about 6" around one side (the first side I did) and there was some over spray which was easy but extra work to remove with Goo Gone. The second side I used trash bags and taped off about 2ft and no over spray which of course was easier cleanup. I applied it more than 2 months ago and have had nothing but rain here in FL plus multiple washes and it is just like the first day I sprayed it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay cool where did you buy your plasti dip? Dipyourcar.com? That's one of main sites I've seen, figured I'd tape about 1" or 2inches away from emblem all around it and try that out, why did you need goo gone, heard it's mad easy to remove with just a towel?

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST

·
Registered
139 Posts
Used it to black ut the rear ford emblem and also the exhaust tip and about 3 ft up the exhaust tube...no issues. Took me a few tries on the rear emblem as i let it dry a tad too long before removing the tape and it peeled off the plasti dip as long as you are quick to remove the tape your good to go.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Okay cool where did you buy your plasti dip? Dipyourcar.com? That's one of main sites I've seen, figured I'd tape about 1" or 2inches away from emblem all around it and try that out, why did you need goo gone, heard it's mad easy to remove with just a towel?

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST

Home Depot carries Plasti Dip. The over spray will come off with a towel and some elbow grease but Goo Gone makes it easier and I already had it on my supply rack.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've done my emblems, door handles, front and rear bumpers, heck I even did a "flatinum" stripe on the tailgate but didn't care for it. Lol. Cool thing about this stuff is you can remove it easily if you don't like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've done my emblems, door handles, front and rear bumpers, heck I even did a "flatinum" stripe on the tailgate but didn't care for it. Lol. Cool thing about this stuff is you can remove it easily if you don't like it.
Dude I have chrome package truck too, I want to do the bumper and front bumper that looks badass, I like the flatlinum, really glad you posted these! Cuz these gonna help me with my car BIG time

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually wait I take that back? Your truck isn't chrome package is it? Ur bumper looks stock I can't tell haha

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST

·
Registered
156 Posts
Actually wait I take that back? Your truck isn't chrome package is it? Ur bumper looks stock I can't tell haha

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST
Lol. Thanks. It was the chrome package. The pics make the bumpers match pretty well. From 10-20 feet away you can't really tell the difference but up close you can. Not as glossy as the actual paint. I used the glossifier that plasti dip makes on the bumpers but it really isn't much different than just the black plasti dip. Overall I'm happy with it. Best thing is if you get tired of it you can pull it right off. Lol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol. Thanks. It was the chrome package. The pics make the bumpers match pretty well. From 10-20 feet away you can't really tell the difference but up close you can. Not as glossy as the actual paint. I used the glossifier that plasti dip makes on the bumpers but it really isn't much different than just the black plasti dip. Overall I'm happy with it. Best thing is if you get tired of it you can pull it right off. Lol.
Ya awesome, I plan on doing the exact same I literally got off work picked some up and did my front f-150 emblems, next week I have a Wheel kit and glossifer ordered from DipYourCar, so ima try that with the glossifier over matte black rims. then I'm going to do bumpers, steps, handles an such

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ya awesome, I plan on doing the exact same I literally got off work picked some up and did my front f-150 emblems, next week I have a Wheel kit and glossifer ordered from DipYourCar, so ima try that with the glossifier over matte black rims. then I'm going to do bumpers, steps, handles an such

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST
Be sure to post pics!!!! Do you have the stock chrome 18's? I thought about doing those but can't decide. I was gonna do my steps too but ended up taking them off and leveling the rear 2". Good luck and post pics!!! Lol.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Be sure to post pics!!!! Do you have the stock chrome 18's? I thought about doing those but can't decide. I was gonna do my steps too but ended up taking them off and leveling the rear 2". Good luck and post pics!!! Lol.
Yea I do, and ya I want to level it 2" also I just want to find the right rims I'm super picky with this, specialy because of so much chrome on the car Im thinking chrome/black rims but haven't got that far, ill definitely post pics of the rims. I'm going to do the steps for sure also, most likely all the chrome on the truck haha except for grill possibly not sure.

2012 F150 XLT EcoBEAST

1 - 16 of 16 Posts