F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 fx4, and the other day I noticed there is a plastic guard covering the top 6 rows of the intercooler. Anyone have any idea why Ford would put this on there?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Its a bandaid for the condensation issue that ford is having with their intercoolers. The CAC (Cold Air Charger) is so efficient that it actually ( in highly humid situations) can turn the air back to dew point. That shroud is supposed to fix it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Apprently it doesnt fix the issue though because people with that plastic cover have experienced the issue.

My truck was built in August 2013 and came with the plastic shield that covers the top / front area of the intercooler (CAC). Hoping for the best.

·
Registered
868 Posts
my truck has it installed and yes it covers about the top 1/4 of the intercooler

i dont know why there isnt a drain welded into the bottom of it and i would bet during startup and high idle if a solinoid valve was opened it would purge any moisture

it would probably only need to be done once a day which your cold startup each day would cover.
with all the computer controls and technology we have these days this would be simple to control.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I was about to remove it. Seems like a horrible answer to the condensation issue tho.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
It is certainly aband aid solution. If I had $900, is be going aftermarket, as they're are much more efficient

·
Registered
868 Posts
im not in the market to replace the intercooler but i would seriously wonder how a bigger more efficient intercooler would not cause even more condensation !
after all i am only using 3/4 of my stock one because air cannot flow through the top of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not in the market to replace the intercooler but i would seriously wonder how a bigger more efficient intercooler would not cause even more condensation !
after all i am only using 3/4 of my stock one because air cannot flow through the top of it.
was wondering the same thing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts