F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Am strongly considering buying my first FORD this fall. :) Retire my Dodge 2500, 5.9L ....and get a new F150, supercab, 4x4, 6.5ft bed w/3:73 cog and max tow pkg. We tow a modest 5th whl w/1650-1700 weight in truck (including us, gear, hitch and pin wt) and the trailer is about 6500 loaded.

What has been your experiences w/similar demands on your EcoBoost F150's?

I want this to be a 15 year vehicle..:D. I'm a little concerned about maint. costs and reliability over the long run.:confused:
My old school Dodge is still doing OK at 150K on the clock, but we need something to hold four people at times.

ANY input you can share is appreciated.

Sounds like you would also want to add the maximum payload package in addition to the Max Tow.

I tow close to 10k with mine but its a bumper pull TT. It has no issue with the weight, but a 5er is obviously a bit different. As far as longevity its hard to say because these EcoBeasts have only been around for 3 model years. I can tell these trucks are very well built, so I think I will be all good for the long haul.

Lots of the great folks on here have way more towing knowledge and a few have some monster 5ers that they are having no issues dragging around.

I hope we can help you get into a new EcoBeast, because you won't be disappointed.

SPPD

You will be fine with that payload. Right at the limit, but this truck won't even break a sweat. It definitely is way more capable than rated from the factory (but you would be liable if anything happened). As mentioned, this truck feels like it will last forever, but it is only 3 MY old and nobody will know for sure how they will hold up for a few more years. I have put mine through the paces and so far I love it. Has plenty of power to spare, and the mpg are great unloaded as long as you don't speed (I try to keep it around 60). Loaded up, it will get around the same mpg as a big block V8, only you won't have to wind it out to make the power. All in all, it has no negatives, mostly positives, and a draw or two.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you would also want to add the maximum payload package in addition to the Max Tow.

I tow close to 10k with mine but its a bumper pull TT. It has no issue with the weight, but a 5er is obviously a bit different. As far as longevity its hard to say because these EcoBeasts have only been around for 3 model years. I can tell these trucks are very well built, so I think I will be all good for the long haul.

Lots of the great folks on here have way more towing knowledge and a few have some monster 5ers that they are having no issues dragging around.

I hope we can help you get into a new EcoBeast, because you won't be disappointed.

SPPD
Thanks, SPPD. I have to stay w/the 145in overall, to get into my garage. They tell me I can't get the "max payload" on the Supercab w/6.5ft bed. I can't get the 8ft bed version in my garage...

Thanks, SPPD. I have to stay w/the 145in overall, to get into my garage. They tell me I can't get the "max payload" on the Supercab w/6.5ft bed. I can't get the 8ft bed version in my garage...
That is always a consideration! I found out the hard way that my short box didn't fit in my garage lol. I now have a very big party room in the back of my lot. I measured twice, but forgot about the door frame and measured footer to footer. I missed it by about 2 inches. I still love my truck though.

SPPD

Ford has everything riding on these ecoboost engines. From the F-150 to the Fusion. I wouldn't worry about the longevity of the engine holding up. Check out the torture test videos on YouTube if you haven't seen them. Just my 2 cents...

With everyone else on recommendations to go EcoBoost. I have had the big V8 & V10 but the EcoBeast simply out pulls them and sucks less gas doing it. I tow a lot and sometimes past the recommended rating 12k plus with no issues and like mentioned I think the truck could be rated to tow more but Ford doesn't want to go into F-250 land... Another benefit is the EcoBoost weighs less than a V8 helping payload and front end weight. maintenance is simple and doesn't require a ton of oil (coming from a diesel I am sure you would love that as well as the EcoBeast diesel like torque curve)
the f-150 is fords bread and butter and is extremely solid. The EcoBoost has been run thru the ringer. Like mentioned grab some popcorn watch the torture test ensure you have a umbrella as hard facts will rain down that the Ecoboost is overbuilt, does more with less, and can handle more than what most drivers will ever put their trucks thru.

Reactions: IownandsellEB
Agreed. The Ecoboost is a lot more truck than most people think. I originally got it for the gas milage, and my wife gets the Ford Employee discount, because of my long commute home on the weekends. I also got it because my previous vehicle (2009 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Edition) was not good for the great outdoors here in Alaska. I have been offroad with it, towed with it, taken long drives and have yanked countless people out of the ditch and I have yet to find this trucks limit.

KennyB Sounds like you are questioning going from a 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton, I was sort of in the same boat and went with the max tow and HD payload pkg. So far, I am very pleased with my decision. I know you have garage/parking problems in order to get both, !!!!
Another note, price not that much more when you bundle both max tow and HD payload as they have some overlapping upgrades!

Go to you tube - look up ecoboost torture test - that will set your mind at ease. Ford thoroughly tested this outfit, and then some!:) ( I have a 2013 max-tow super crew 4x4 - no regrets)

You can absolutely comfortably retire your Dodge. You will have no issues towing your 5'er. Take a look at my post named "5th wheel towing" and you will see the 34'8" 5'er my wife and I just purchased. The EB tows it like it is a small utility trailer (kid you not). We live in the Santa Cruz mountains and we towed it through some pretty steep up and downhill grades and in Tow/Haul mode the truck performs like a preprogramed piece of power. I did not purchase the Max Payload but I did mod my suspension. Truck still rides the same unloaded and the rear only dips down an inch or so with 1600 lb. pin weight. I installed a 16k slider and it gives you plenty of cab clearance when slid to the outboard for maneuvering. You will absolutely love an EB. Very well built and a very comfortable ride for 5 people.

I'd double check your payload numbers before buying the truck. Payload is the limiting factor.
6500 seems quite light for a 5th wheel, is that the dry weight.
You'll need to add the weight of the hitch assembly to your payload numbers.

6500 * .25 = 1625 + 50 hitch + 200 driver + 175 passenger = 2050 lbs. this doesn't include stuff.

2013 Ford F-150 | View Payload Specifications | Ford.com

SuperCab 4x4145"3.5L EcoBoost V67700*2000*

The payload for a SCab 4x4 with the 145" with Max Tow is only 2000 lbs

I got the HD Payload, but it requires the 8ft bed.

You can order whatever configuration you want, if you can build it on Ford's website the dealer can order it for you. This is the beauty of Ford.

I ordered a 2013 Supercrew EB FX4 w 3.73 and max tow.... will be picking up my new 2014 Wildcat 282rkx on friday which has around 1280 hitch weight.

What alot of people don't realize is payload numbers are often gone over, walk on to a ram lot and look at the door jam sticker on a 2500 diesel .... you will literally laugh.

I'm not condoning going over load or going over the rated weights for your truck. My new wildcat has a 7980 dry weight and a 1280 hitch weight, my payload is 1555lbs on my truck. I will be alittle over my payload rating once I'm loaded up, but I am well under my 17,100 GCWR. Also axle ratings are a big part of things just gotta weigh it out. Any reputable RV dealer will always weigh things and make sure you are safe to tow before you leave the lot. Spent the last 2-3 weeks looking at different dealers and one of them told me I could pull a 1560lb hitch weight fiver with no issues. Could I pull it without issues yes, was it 400-500lbs over my payload loaded yes... I ran from that dealer and will never go back.

Want an honest evaluation of the Ecoboost without cheerleading?

I'm not married to any truck manufacturer. They don't pay any of my bills, so I go with what I think is the best no matter who makes it. So my honest assessment after towing with just about everything is that GM, Ford and Chrysler make a good diesels for towing very large trailers. Of those three I favor the GM Duramax engine & tranny combination with the independent front suspension if you are buying a diesel.

The Ecoboost tows like a small diesel such as a 5.9 Cummins ala year 2001... and when not towing it rides like a 1/2 ton pickup with a small gas engine. With the "very heaviest trailers" that will be pulled allot I would still think long and hard about towing with a diesel. I've towed allot with diesels and contrary to the cheerleading for my Ecoboost, it does not pull as strong as a diesel! It is perfectly adequate for my trailer. I towed from the West Coast to the East Coast and it did a great job.

So why then..... did I buy an Ecoboost?

Three reasons:

1. Substantially lower initial purchase cost. 2. Better ride when not towing because of less engine weight on the front axle/springs. 3. I'm only towing a medium sized trailer (6000 lbs.)

Reactions: Crouse
With towing you want to have as much overhead as possible, makes it easier on the powertrain and driver. If you are planning to buy a 7000lb trailer and think you can squeeze by with 3.55 gearing and a regular tow pkg because the trailer falls within those specs, that's the wrong way to approach it. My current truck is rated to pull 11,200lbs... my trailer weighs around 9300-9400lbs and it handles it very well. Point is the truck is overkill for the weight I'm towing, and I'm glad it is.

With towing you want to have as much overhead as possible, makes it easier on the powertrain and driver. If you are planning to buy a 7000lb trailer and think you can squeeze by with 3.55 gearing and a regular tow pkg because the trailer falls within those specs, that's the wrong way to approach it. My current truck is rated to pull 11,200lbs... my trailer weighs around 9300-9400lbs and it handles it very well. Point is the truck is overkill for the weight I'm towing, and I'm glad it is.
I agree in the areas you gave as examples! The exception is the weight of equalizer bars on the hitch. 1200 lb. bars on a trailer with a 600 lb. tongue weight simply ruins the ride and accomplishes nothing but jarring the whole rig when you hit bumps or dips.
Heavier is negative there! If heavier was always better we'd all have the big Ford diesel engine to tow a 6000 lb. trailer. I'm with you and would rather have the Ecoboost for the reasons I mentioned in post #15

I don't know how you guys get away with pulling a 5th with a 1/2 ton I have a 12 f150 EB max tow 3.73 and when I did the numbers on a 5th with a pin weight of 1200# I only had 200# left after I added my hitch and a full tank of gas. Scary please let me know what hwy you are going to be on so I stay clear. Just my thoughts.

I have always found that you can buy the biggest truck and pull a 1,200 pound trailer and still be dangerous. It is not the truck that is usually the issue, it is the driver. I have seen guys pulling 5th wheels with 1/2 tons and doing it right, and have seen guys with one tons pulling a 5th wheel that made me and everyone else around them extremely nervous. The optimum rig is the one with the driver who knows what he is doing - the rig is of no consequence. Just my experience in being around big rigs.

I have pulled lots of very heavy loads with my truck with out any kind of special hitch with absolutely no problems. I feel like they rated these trucks the way they did to not encroach on super duty territory. Take that with a grain of salt though because if you get pulled over and are over weight you will get a ticket, but like the previous poster said its all about the driver. I once saw a 3/4 ton super duty diesel pulling a little ski boat who shouldn't have been allowed to tow anything (driving way too fast, in and out of his lane).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.