F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I'm officially looking for any and all input/help/suggestions.

Basics: 2014 F150 ecoboost, 95k miles, MPT tuned for water/methanol, 75% methanol spraying through 755cc (12gph) Prometh nozzle, Full Race intake, Ford Performance plugs at .028, stock coils.

I've been chasing a very random and intermittent misfire for over a month. It misfires randomly under WOT, always on cyl 6, but once I also got an additional misfire on cyl 5 and another time on cyl 4. Also one time I got a code for O2 sensor voltage but those three codes only happened once each, and the cyl 6 misfire has happened around 10-15 times. When it misfires it goes into limp mode, CEL flashes, and then returns to normal after arount 30 seconds, or after a restart.

I have installed a pressure gauge to confirm my methanol pump is working properly and it is. I have moved coils around from bank 1 to bank 2 and the misfire stays in cyl 6. It has misfired with both the stock intercooler with weep hole drillled, and also with CPE intercooler. I really thought for a while that the CPE was the cause because of the moisture it was accumulating before drilling a weep hole in a drain plug for the CPE, and being that I didnt have any misfire issues before installation of the CPE, but I have since put my stock IC back on (I returned the CPE and am awaiting shipment of Full Race IC) but it misfired again today back with the stock IC.

I have not had my timing chain replaced yet, but I do not have much, if any cold start rattle, no CEL, and the dealer said its not enough to replace it yet. I did, however, see in some youtube video a digital computer readout of the timing, where you could see each individual firing event, and that's something I'd be interested in; I believe it was from a dealer. I've seen other people mention misfire issues being corrected with throttle body, HPFP, timing chain, etc. I've even tried replacing all coils with the Perf Distributor coils and NGK plugs, even stepped plugs down to .024 to rule out the spray blowing out spark.

Aside from waiting for the Full Race intercooler and JLT passenger-side catch can to arrive, and hoping and seeing what happens with those, Idk what else to do.

What are your guy's thoughts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You could always try a crank relearn via the tuner. Won’t hurt anything. Issue sounds similar to a friend who blew his 3.7 engine with 6r80, replaced the engine and had a odd off/on misfire. It was more noticeable at cruising speed.Fixed with crank relearn.

If that fixes it and it comes back I would suspect crank sensor. ?‍♂

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also noticed it sometimes stumbles longer than normal on startup, maybe lending more thought towards an injector or HPFP issue?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I also noticed it sometimes stumbles longer than normal on startup, maybe lending more thought towards an injector or HPFP issue?
Are either of your long or short term fuel trims wildly off?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are either of your long or short term fuel trims wildly off?
Not sure, my current config doesn't have both banks of long and short, I'll have to make up a new config. Only issue is it's so intermittent that it's hard to say if I'll be able to catch the misfire on a datalog

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I uploaded a different datalog config to monitor my fuel trims, and it appears my STFT's are at steady 1.0 now under wot and spray, where they used to be 0.80-0.78. I can send my datalog to anybody for a second opinion. Also, my methanol pressure gauge seems to be acting kinda funky. I'm starting to wonder again if I'm having an issue with my methanol pump. If the pump isnt functioning properly, would you expect my STFT's to be higher than they should? No change in tune

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Throw the meth kit in the garbage. Stupid mod for a daily diver. Your tune right now is dependent on it too, if it fails or not working proper you're engine is going to check out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Throw the meth kit in the garbage. Stupid mod for a daily diver. Your tune right now is dependent on it too, if it fails or not working proper you're engine is going to check out.
Good info and exactly why I’m using mine for cooling purposes only for summer and not a tune dependent setup for power.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting suggestions and input
Screenshot_20200325-184720_Gmail.jpg

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not getting my hopes up, but I wonder if it could be that simple. It would make sense of the very very first time I ever got a misfire, it was accompanied with a p0151 O2 sensor low voltage bank 2 code, however that code has not returned with any subsequent misfire. I guess I'll be ordering a new sensor and going from there. Still no update on shipping of my FR intercooler :/

·
Premium Member
6,266 Posts
I too like the baseline simplification that the troubleshooting advice describes. Logical strategy.
When it comes right down to it, although the Ecoboost is a complex and sophisticated approach to making power with gasoline and a spark, it's still just gasoline and a spark.

Process of elimination.

Honestly, new O2 sensors can be something you change BEFORE they actually crap out on you. No different than plugs. You don't HAVE to get as many miles out of them as possible.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I too like the baseline simplification that the troubleshooting advice describes. Logical strategy.
When it comes right down to it, although the Ecoboost is a complex and sophisticated approach to making power with gasoline and a spark, it's still just gasoline and a spark.

Process of elimination.

Honestly, new O2 sensors can be something you change BEFORE they actually crap out on you. No different than plugs. You don't HAVE to get as many miles out of them as possible.

Right, and like I said, that might explain that first odd o2 sensor code also. I've already changed plugs and coils, so it would be down to the injector (which somebody else had mentioned) but also back to the O2 sensor/cat issue, the truck's STFT's we're at steady 1.0 under wot, which I had mentioned and sent Mike in the datalog. I guess that means it's in open loop, which I'm not totally certain what all could cause that but if I'm understanding correctly, it could be another finger pointing at the O2.

On that note, just replace with motorcraft?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got me some new Bosch upstream sensors today. I figured while the downpipe is out, might as well just swap it out along with some turbo adapters. So SPD catted downpipe, adapters, and install kit are on the way.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
If there is a issue with the meth, the pcm could be going crazy to control it. A .67 lamda is insanely rich. That could have messed up o2 dumping that much fuel.

As I said, ditch the meth and yes thats good idea to see on stock tune to see what is happening on that first.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Process of elimination.

What exactly would your recommendation be? I have not yet been able to replicate the misfire on the non-meth tune without spray. Thats not to say that its meth-related, as it was not a consistent thing, only happened sometimes. Currently I have my factory downpipe off, waiting for my SPD catted DP to be delivered and installed with new Bosch upstream sensors. Once those are in, what do you think step 1 of troubleshooting should be? Put the meth tune back on and see what happens?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you tried moving your COP's around (especially #6) to see if it follows?

Also in your you-tube video, did you install a boost gauge? It is a digital gauge? it looks analog but it appears to be all over the place while WOT; I have a SC mustang and under WOT that gauge should be stuck at +XX PSI showing boost, if you are bouncing around like that you either have a problem with the gauge hose to your vacuum line or an actual problem with your vaccum/boost on the motor.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you tried moving your COP's around (especially #6) to see if it follows?

Also in your you-tube video, did you install a boost gauge? It is a digital gauge? it looks analog but it appears to be all over the place while WOT; I have a SC mustang and under WOT that gauge should be stuck at +XX PSI showing boost, if you are bouncing around like that you either have a problem with the gauge hose to your vacuum line or an actual problem with your vaccum/boost on the motor.
As stated in original post, I did move cop's around and problem didn't move. The analog gauge in the video is a methanol line pressure gauge. My misfire issue appears to have been resolved by replacing downpipe and upstream o2 sensors

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I forgot to update. After installing new downpipe and o2 sensors, that seems to have completely fixed the misfire problem

1 - 20 of 20 Posts