F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing what's it's like to change the plugs on these? Dealer wants 400 plus plugs so is it really that difficult?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It's so easy a caveman could do it, I've done it numerous times to get the best gap for the tunes I'm running. I highly recommend going and getting a torque wrench and tighten them to 11ftlbs of torque. Buy a cheap one at harbor freight. Just need a 8mm socket to get the coil packs off and pull them out, they will come out without disconnecting them also. Oh I forgot the first step, take the engine cover off first and they are right on the too there. Takes less than 30 minutes to do. 5/8 spark plug socket too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect. How much hp and tq you pushing right now? I've got mpts 93 race tune also. With bolt ons

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm guessing in the 400 range on hp and 500 range on torque, not really sure. It's fast I do know that.
Also I run my stock plugs at .028 and my brisk 14's at .030. Works for my truck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mpt told me to run a. 030 running there 93 tune. I'm gonna Change them this weekend cause I have a bad plug somewhere. Mine is very quick as well for as little as I have done. Gonna do catless dp soon with the Wagner intercooler and hopefully they'll have the batmo turbo wheels for our model by then.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Water/meth Injection soon as well to free up more miles on the plugs

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just seeing what's it's like to change the plugs on these? Dealer wants 400 plus plugs so is it really that difficult?
Your dealer is nuts, they probably get an hour for changing the plugs plus the plugs. Try another dealer or do it yourself. Plugs should last 100,000 miles, just gap them at .030" - .032". Although I haven't changed mine, I did remove one to look at the gap and it took me all of 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If your tuned the plugs won't last 100,000, not gonna happen, probably be lucky to get half of that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can't even get half that being tuned like we are. Maybe bone stock but pushing over 400hp on direct Injection you get maybe 7k miles on plugs before one or more fouls out.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You can't even get half that being tuned like we are. Maybe bone stock but pushing over 400hp on direct Injection you get maybe 7k miles on plugs before one or more fouls out.
Good point, I'm actually getting ready to change mine tomorrow, I've got 8,000 miles on mine.

·
Registered
523 Posts
It's so easy a caveman could do it, I've done it numerous times to get the best gap for the tunes I'm running. I highly recommend going and getting a torque wrench and tighten them to 11ftlbs of torque. Buy a cheap one at harbor freight. Just need a 8mm socket to get the coil packs off and pull them out, they will come out without disconnecting them also. Oh I forgot the first step, take the engine cover off first and they are right on the too there. Takes less than 30 minutes to do. 5/8 spark plug socket too.
There's another viewpoint and spectrum on torque wrenches, especially on critical parts of the engine.

Using a friends cheap borrowed torque wrench, installing the crank main caps on a SBC. One of the ARP bolts felt odd, it didn't cinche down were expected, stared at it for a minute, turned about 30 degrees past... snap. Had to get an ease out drill the bolt out of the newly machined 90% assembled block, purchase an entire new set of ARP bolts as they don't sell them individually. Reher Morrison validated the torque wrench I was using was showing 22 ft lbs shy of the actual torque being applied above 75 ft lbs. Lesson learned. Cheap has it's places. After this event purchased the most expensive Craftsman unit I could find (non-digital read out). Remember to unload the torque wrench after use, Reher Morrison stated this is how most torque wrenches lose their calibration. Have the calibration checked occasionally.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
There's another viewpoint and spectrum on torque wrenches, especially on critical parts of the engine.

Using a friends cheap borrowed torque wrench, installing the crank main caps on a SBC. One of the ARP bolts felt odd, it didn't cinche down were expected, stared at it for a minute, turned about 30 degrees past... snap. Had to get an ease out drill the bolt out of the newly machined 90% assembled block, purchase an entire new set of ARP bolts as they don't sell them individually. Reher Morrison validated the torque wrench I was using was showing 22 ft lbs shy of the actual torque being applied above 75 ft lbs. Lesson learned. Cheap has it's places. After this event purchased the most expensive Craftsman unit I could find (non-digital read out). Remember to unload the torque wrench after use, Reher Morrison stated this is how most torque wrenches lose their calibration. Have the calibration checked occasionally.
Very good point.

·
Registered
868 Posts
you gotta be kidding !
i bought a new truck to get away from wrenching on the damn things every other weekend
i have 8,000 miles on it now and i wanted to tune it before the end of this month

every time i read a post about these trucks it sounds more and more like a pain in the ass.

so let me see if i am on the right page, after i tune and change to full synthetic i will be changing the oil, filter and plugs every 6 months. ?

·
Registered
868 Posts

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
you gotta be kidding !
i bought a new truck to get away from wrenching on the damn things every other weekend
i have 8,000 miles on it now and i wanted to tune it before the end of this month

every time i read a post about these trucks it sounds more and more like a pain in the ass.

so let me see if i am on the right page, after i tune and change to full synthetic i will be changing the oil, filter and plugs every 6 months. ?

I'm getting scared now of just getting a Tune for this truck after reading all this

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I pulled my plugs out yesterday after 8,000 miles and they looked perfect no problem, I actually put them back on the shelf. I'm also running very aggressive tunes with just about everything you can put on the truck, sure you can get 25,000 miles easy out of them or more. I'm just alittle cautious and like to check my plugs often, I've actually just put in some brisk plugs that run a little colder, I will see how I like them and I may put my old ones back in. There is nothing to be worried about, get a tune and have fun. If your wanting a conservative tune than ask for a 91 tune and run 93.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Very easy! It took about a half hour and I used the same stock Motorcraft plugs gapped at .030 with a stock truck (no tune)
Factory plugs were .037-.039 or so but with them all at .030 now I have gained about a mile and a half per gallon and it is noticeably quicker.
Best 40 dollars we can spend!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts