F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

Which intercooler location would you prefer?

• I prefer the OEM location

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • I would prefer mounting in front of the radiator

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

As you may have seen in our R&D thread, we at Mishimoto are developing an intercooler for the 2015+ F-150 EcoBoost trucks (both 2.7 and 3.5). We are currently investigating the benefits of two different design options - the notable differences are primarily regarding placement. We wanted to reach out to the community and get some feedback on what you'd prefer.

Option 1: The Mishimoto intercooler will be installed in the OEM location behind the front bumper. This is the less expensive option, but people liked to use this location for winches on past generation trucks - if people want to do the same on these new trucks, it would inhibit/prevent functionality of the intercooler.

Option 2: The Mishimoto intercooler will be installed in front of the radiator behind the main grille. This option will be more expensive (by an estimated 10-20%) due to the increased amount of piping, boots, and hangers. This will also require deleting the active shutter system both behind the bumper and main radiator grilles.

Please respond below and let us know which option is more valuable to you and why.

Thank you!
-Gardiner

·
Administrator
10,434 Posts
Option 1.

I, for one, prefer that route due to it being more easily returned to stock for warranty work. Or even just if a dealer wants to blame a problem on an aftermarket IC outside of a warranty.

I like the thought of an easier/quicker install, and also that it is less noticeable as an upgrade in the stock location. Price is a plus too. Of course.
This is why I have been considering AFE over Full Race until now. Even though Full Race makes a better cooler.

What about even having two mounting kits? One for stock location, one for behind the grille? Selected upon checkout.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Too bad you didnt go this route before spending all the time on the 11-14 intercooler.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Another vote for OEM location.

·
Administrator
10,434 Posts
Or, if it utilized the same tube diameter and such as afe or stock, you guys could build the kit to go behind the grille, and we could have the option to buy the cooler only and use stock or afe piping?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Option 1.

I, for one, prefer that route due to it being more easily returned to stock for warranty work. Or even just if a dealer wants to blame a problem on an aftermarket IC outside of a warranty.

I like the thought of an easier/quicker install, and also that it is less noticeable as an upgrade in the stock location. Price is a plus too. Of course.
This is why I have been considering AFE over Full Race until now. Even though Full Race makes a better cooler.

What about even having two mounting kits? One for stock location, one for behind the grille? Selected upon checkout.
Another vote for OEM location.
Did BOTH of you click on your choice and then select the "vote" button??? only 1 vote for oem was showing up before I voted....just saying.......... girlies!

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I voted for OEM location for ease of installation. Also inter-coolers are way too expensive, anything to lessen the price would be greatly appreciated.

I would already have one but the $900 to $1100 for them is keeping me stock.

·
Administrator
10,434 Posts
I voted for OEM location for ease of installation. Also inter-coolers are way too expensive, anything to lessen the price would be greatly appreciated.

I'll bet you won't be getting this one then, either! But maybe I will be wrong!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Its perhaps gonna keep you stock even longer on this one also..... the only saving grace may be the special pre-order price. Expensive is relative imho......I get your point but I dont really seeing this one selling at a price to far below what has been keeping your stock. (opens my penny jar to count the day's take)

·
Registered
29 Posts
So here's a question about stock or relocated location... I haven't taken a very close look at the stock intercooler other than to notice it's small and seemingly has a small airflow opening behind the license plate bracket (which I removed), is going bigger in the stock location going to receive enough airflow to make any significant change in charge air temps? Is it receiving airflow from somewhere other than the small lower opening?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Option 1 - OEM Location

EDIT:: My Reasoning - Cost is a big concern since all other competitive intercoolers are pretty expensive for what they are. I understand R&D, but prices could come down at some point, no? Another factor is ease of installation and requiring less parts (also factors into cost). I want something I can bolt in without having to replace everything around it (i.e. charge pipes).

I've been waiting to purchase an intercooler solely for the reasoning that Mishimoto was coming out with one and it would be a high quality product for less.

The saved money from all of the above can be put into other modifications for he truck.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Behind the radiator for me. The OEM CAC is stuffed right in the bumper on mine, and is about half the size of the previous generation trucks. I already removed the shutter system with no ill effects.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Be nice if both options were eventually offered, but if only one I would probably go with option 1 solely based on price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I just want to let everyone know that our intercooler is on pre-sale now! Check out our pre-sale for the 2016 Ford F150 3.5L/2.7L Performance Intercooler! We listened to your feedback about the core location, features and price. During this period, you can get our intercooler at a great discount before the final production kits hit the warehouse and the market. This presale will be going on for several weeks, so you have time, but don't wait too long!

Please check out the details below and please let us know if you have any questions!

PreSale Link

Expected Release: Mid-July 2017

Pricing Details:
Intercooler
MSRP: $1050.00
Pre-sale: $772.95

Will come in either Stealth Black or Sleek Silver.

Includes:
(1) Mishimoto Intercooler w/ Assembled Rubber Trim
Mounting Hardware
Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty

PreSale Link

Again, please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

-Diamaan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts