F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else experiencing poor braking and a hard pedal in their ecoboost? I am having very poor braking and a hard pedal feeling. I can't get the tires to lock up and the antilocks to kick in no matter how hard I hit the brakes at hwy speeds. A couple of times while backing out of my driveway it felt like the power breaks weren't even working and I had to jump on the pedal with both feet to bring her to a stop. I have had the truck at the dealer for four days now and they changed the vacuum pump but didn't seem to fix the issue. I needed the truck back since they did not give me a loaner and all I got from them is "when you get more time bring it back in because we don't even know if this is how the brakes are supposed to be or if there is an issue".

·
Registered
608 Posts
Did they bleed the brakes at all?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Never had this issue, and your dealership sounds retarded. They aren't sure if it should be like that???

Boosting hard, boosting safe since 2013

·
Registered
346 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing poor braking and a hard pedal in their ecoboost? I am having very poor braking and a hard pedal feeling. I can't get the tires to lock up and the antilocks to kick in no matter how hard I hit the brakes at hwy speeds. A couple of times while backing out of my driveway it felt like the power breaks weren't even working and I had to jump on the pedal with both feet to bring her to a stop. I have had the truck at the dealer for four days now and they changed the vacuum pump but didn't seem to fix the issue. I needed the truck back since they did not give me a loaner and all I got from them is "when you get more time bring it back in because we don't even know if this is how the brakes are supposed to be or if there is an issue".
Get a hold of Ford Customer Service ASAP. They monitor the F150 forum. This can be a serious safety and liability issue for them. If you wreck due to brake malfunction, at best, they'll be buying you a new truck.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm about to drive my truck through the front of the dealership. "Sorry guys...brakes didn't work" I don't think the bled the brakes but I don't think they need it. Instead of a hard pedal I would have a soft pedal. I just ordered the three check valves that are in the vacuum system that lead to the brake booster and will change them myself. It cost me $45.00 and I couldn't even convince the dealership to just go ahead and replace them as a shot in the dark.

It it seems like if the truck is making boost the brake pedal gets even harder and the braking gets worse. That's why I am thinking it could be a check valve and some of the positive pressure is going to the booster?????

·
Registered
265 Posts
It sounds like a vacuum issue. Shouldn't be a fluid issue. If its still under warranty then they should just fix it, if not then unless your absolutely sure you know what to fix then I would just just bring it to the shop. All of the liability goes on you if you start changing things with your brake system if your in an accident. Get a vacuum gauge and verify you are getting vacuum first

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm about to drive my truck through the front of the dealership. "Sorry guys...brakes didn't work" I don't think the bled the brakes but I don't think they need it. Instead of a hard pedal I would have a soft pedal. I just ordered the three check valves that are in the vacuum system that lead to the brake booster and will change them myself. It cost me $45.00 and I couldn't even convince the dealership to just go ahead and replace them as a shot in the dark.

It it seems like if the truck is making boost the brake pedal gets even harder and the braking gets worse. That's why I am thinking it could be a check valve and some of the positive pressure is going to the booster?????
My wife's Lexus GX had a brake master cylinder issue one time, which made the brakes lose pressure during a stop. I called Lexus at 5:30 PM, they said park wherever you are, a wrecker is on the way, a loaner vehicle is also on the way. They didn't want me drive an inch with potentially faulty brakes. I know Ford is not Lexus, but their corporate will **** themselves if they hear that you can't stop your truck and the dealer let you drive off.
Flash back to stock. Contact Ford.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds like a vacuum issue. Shouldn't be a fluid issue. If its still under warranty then they should just fix it, if not then unless your absolutely sure you know what to fix then I would just just bring it to the shop. All of the liability goes on you if you start changing things with your brake system if your in an accident. Get a vacuum gauge and verify you are getting vacuum first
The truck is still under warranty for the next 4 months so you bring up a valid point about assuming liability if I try to fix it myself. I tested the vacuum and I have -25psi coming out of the pump and -17 psi coming out of the engine vacuum so it looks like I have plenty. I found that the check valve in line with the pump will only hold back 5 psi of positive pressure and bleeds off quickly.

I just called ford customer care and they are having a regional case worker look into it. So we will see what they have to say!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. 2012, XTR, trailer towing package..nice truck. Been to the dealer four times. It always happens on the first start of the day. If you put it in reverse there's a distinct shudder of the brakes, you push the pedal to the floor and nothing happens but pulsating. It sounds like the antilock are activated which makes sense because I may as well be on ice! Same Stopping distance. My record is about 40 feet to get it stopped! Thankfully I live in the country, have a big yard. No obstacles..... so far.
Go forward and my experience is the exact same as the previous post. Hard pedal, jump on it with both feet, barely any braking action at all!
I went to the dealer:
1st time they couldn't find anything. Couldn't replicate the problem.
2nd time they replaced the brake booster. They tried the truck after. All seemed well. It wasn't the next day.
Brought it back, a wire harness clip related to the brake pedal broke off. This got replaced. Guess what. Still no fix!
4th time, Eureka, they found a bad fuse. That must be it. Nope.
I'm driving it around, probably taking risk doing so. Really have no interest in driving to the dealer every day....

I'm considering trading it in, back to the servicing dealer of course. Are the new trucks any better?

·
Registered
443 Posts
It's been 3 months, any update?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the exact same thing happening to me as well! Today alone it happened reversing from my driveway and again at a drive thru. Before it was only happening first thing in the morning leaving the house, but today proved otherwise. Please let me know what you come up with. I'm planning on stopping by Ford dealer today. Any insight will save me time! Thanks.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Vacuum pump! or booster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem at start up. When the engine is started, and the brake pedal is pushed to put the truck in gear (forward or reverse), the pedal is noticeably hard. When the truck begins to roll, the pedal must be pushed HARD to get it stop. It makes a sound like the anti lock is engaging. Once the truck is underway the brakes operate normally. I won't let anyone else drive it until it is fixed. I know what it does and what to do when it happens, others do not. It doesn't happen every time, only 40 to 50% of the time. This is an accident waiting to happen! I am glad to see that here are others with the same problem. At least the dealership can't say that the problem doesn't exist. Please let m know if anyone else gets this resolved. I am near the end of my warranty (only 3000 miles left), and am afraid that the dealership will not cover this if a solution is not found before the warranty is up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 Eco Boost 42,000 miles and I am having the same hard brake pedal poor braking problem. The problem started at around 25000 miles. The problem started occassionally and when it happened it was always on the first start. The break pedal would be hard as a rock and I would have almost no braking. Approximately 20-40 seconds later the brakes would work normally. I brought the truck to the dealer at 33,000 miles and explained the issues I was having. The service people explained they are aware of the problem and currently dont have a fix. Service stated that they thought the problem is conected to the turbo and the pump. They suggested that I run the vehicle for 30 secs before I take it out of park. I kick my self in the butt for leaving the dealership that day. Since then I have put another 9000 miles on my truck and the issue has gotten worse. The hard break pedal is happening more frequently and now there is a shuddering noise and it sounds like the anit lock breaks are activating but I still have no braking. The issue has come to head when I almost put my truck and trailer into a tree and my son almost crashed the truck. I am going back to the dealer on Monday and will not settle for the above mentioned fix!!! Ill keep you posted. If anyone else can related similar issues and the responses they had from their local ford service departments I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I had this problem once. 11 xlt. I always let my truck warm up for about 30 seconds or so and never happens again. Other then coming from wot there is a loooooong sec. Where you have no power brakes. I would guess a check valve? any one come up with a soloition? Call me crazy but if there was every any thing, just one single thing worth recalling, it would be a loss of power brakes!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Jerryr

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
telephone_operator1.jpg
I dose not work like you think any more scap. Lol :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts