F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Does anyone notice significant gains using mid grade or premium? im curious as im only getting like 13-14 mpg in city and like 16 highway.. mind you im only at about 7000 km

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Does anyone notice significant gains using mid grade or premium? im curious as im only getting like 13-14 mpg in city and like 16 highway.. mind you im only at about 7000 km
If you do the math on what the extra cost would be per fill-up, I doubt there would be any gains even at an extra 2 mpg.
I have not tried it because of this, instead we leave the truck at home more often then not and take the RAV4 when we can.
I've taken it on our 250 mile trip to camp in Maine and keeping at the posted speed limit I can get 19mpg, less, about 18mpg with a head wind.
The same trip in the summer had me up around 22. But my around town mileage went fro about 18 down to 13-14.
I'm not happy but it is what it is.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
If you do the math on what the extra cost would be per fill-up, I doubt there would be any gains even at an extra 2 mpg.
I have not tried it because of this, instead we leave the truck at home more often then not and take the RAV4 when we can.
I've taken it on our 250 mile trip to camp in Maine and keeping at the posted speed limit I can get 19mpg, less, about 18mpg with a head wind.
The same trip in the summer had me up around 22. But my around town mileage went fro about 18 down to 13-14.
I'm not happy but it is what it is.
It all depends on how much extra it is if. It's 10% you need to get 10% better mileage to break even...

Black Sheep of the Family

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I've found that even regular from different gas station will make a difference. It can vary from 14L/100k(16.8mpg) to 16L\100k(14.7mpg) which is crazy. I'm currently getting 14.4L/100k(16.33mpg) with still cold temps and mixed city hwy. The outside temp will definitely factor into the mpg equation as well. I tried using premium with no ethanol but the difference in price makes it not worth it. I figure a bought a truck and if it gets half decent mpg or L/100k then I'm happy. It's still better than my old 5.3 sierra with 3:42 gears!:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
2014 Ecoboost SCREW/ SWB, 3.55 gears, 2WD, LTX Michelin Tires 265 width on 18" Factories. Averaging 22.5 MPG mixed highway/city of about 80/20, and I can hit 25+ at 60 MPH. I can tell you for sure that tires can make one huge difference in your MPG. Put BFG A/T on my 2008 Megacab Dodge Hemi, lost about 3 MPG. Went back to the LTX and it came back. Was able to coax nearly 20 MPG from my Hemi Non MDS megacab. Loving the new Ford Ecoboost so far, would suggest running a 265 tire and of course I love my LTX Michelins. For those with the trucks in the 2012/2013 check the inter cooler for shields, there is a TSB to remove those and reflash the PCM. Believe it s TSB 450017.

·
Registered
262 Posts
2011 XLT SCREW 4X4 3.55s 275-18 tires. 18.5 MPG town/country, 22-24 MPG HWY. I must be one lucky SOB, I've never had a single issue with this truck other than some moderate fuel dilution in the oil. Bought new off the lot 34 months ago with 302 miles on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
7 Degrees last couple days and I average hwy at 72mph 16.6-17.9. This summer I always seam to run 20+mpg easy. I have a 35mile highway run and 6 mile in town run one way. I bought my 12 in April with 18k and have been very happy with it. This one sure beats my 06 for gas and power. I dont think I will ever own another V8 truck.

I would like to throw a K&N in this week but other than that I think she will remain stock. BUT we will see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im having the same problem with mine... i bought mine in October and was getting 18mpg :) then i took it back to my local dealership 3 weeks ago to have some things check out and they ended up flashing my computer. Idn if its been that or the cold here in indiana but the same route i was averaging 18ish im know getting 15.5 - 16. Stock tires stock everything 3.55 gears supercrew 6.5 bed

·
Registered
104 Posts
Im having the same problem with mine... i bought mine in October and was getting 18mpg :) then i took it back to my local dealership 3 weeks ago to have some things check out and they ended up flashing my computer. Idn if its been that or the cold here in indiana but the same route i was averaging 18ish im know getting 15.5 - 16. Stock tires stock everything 3.55 gears supercrew 6.5 bed
I think alot has to do with the temps and winter blend fuel. I have lost about 1mpg on average the last 3 tanks since it turned cold out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm only on day 3 of my '14 FX4 with Ecoboost and so far very unhappy with the fuel economy. Averaging under 14 in city while driving very cautiously. Hope it improves soon!

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
From Sacramento to Sanfrancisco, driving in traffic and lots of hills there then back to Sacramento, 200+ miles averaged 21mpg
3.31 gears 31" a/t tires, 4x4 screw cab 91 Oct gas. Had cruse control on 65-70mph when on freeway

·
Registered
533 Posts
^ Why do people always post how awesome their gas mileage is when someone is having a problem with theirs? This offers no help or advice whatsover.

OP, your gas mileage is going to depend alot on your driving habits, gear ratio, tire pressure, altitude and conditions, tonneau cover or not, etc. Give it some time, mine was not getting very good gas mileage to begin with either. From what I have heard, a tuner and a custom tune will help you the most with your mileage, but I do not have one of those yet either. The turbo's on these trucks start spooling at low rpms, and the more air they add, the more fuel the computer adds to keep the air/fuel ratio in check. I have to drive like my grandmother to get good mileage with mine. The ecoboost is by far the most sensitive engine that I have seen for little things making a big difference in fuel economy and I have not mastered it yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
^ Why do people always post how awesome their gas mileage is when someone is having a problem with theirs? This offers no help or advice whatsover.

OP, your gas mileage is going to depend alot on your driving habits, gear ratio, tire pressure, altitude and conditions, tonneau cover or not, etc. Give it some time, mine was not getting very good gas mileage to begin with either. From what I have heard, a tuner and a custom tune will help you the most with your mileage, but I do not have one of those yet either. The turbo's on these trucks start spooling at low rpms, and the more air they add, the more fuel the computer adds to keep the air/fuel ratio in check. I have to drive like my grandmother to get good mileage with mine. The ecoboost is by far the most sensitive engine that I have seen for little things making a big difference in fuel economy and I have not mastered it yet. Good luck.
Guess I should have also stated along with my 3.31 gears and speed I drive to get the MPG I do., I have to keep it at around/under 65 mph to get near that mileage and keep tires at max pressure and I have 20k miles on it now. Basically driving really conservative.
Hauling a$$ around town, unloaded I get average around 15 mpg.
And premium gas...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok, I will add something to this, as it has been an interesting read. I just purchased my 2014 FX4 Ecoboost (30 days ago). When I got it, the fuel mileage calculation screen showed 13.9 MPG (truck had 2 miles on it when I test drove it). Today it has 1,300 on it (appx). My normal commute to work is appx 6 miles each way. My wife has recently had an incident and I have to drive her to work, then to mine. This has added about 25 miles each way to my commute. I had to make a fairly good trip to Katy, TX during the break-in period. I have been trying my best to vary my speed and driving conditions during the break-in period as suggested by Ford. At the mileage I am at now, I can say now that the vehicle is mostly broken in. In my fairly common driving practices I am seeing just under 16 MPG (15.7-16) on a daily basis. On the highway I have seen the average climbing to almost 20 for the few long trips I have made (starting with fresh tank of pump 87 oct gas). I expect I will not see 16 MPG in my normal life of the short commute I make to work and back. This is a vehicle that ways almost 3 tons. It is not going to get the mileage of a Focus. My 2010 Lariat 5.4L 2WD got 13 MPG on any given "good day". The best I ever saw out of it was almost 19 on a 1,500 mile trip to Florida from Texas. I have not owned this truck long enough to know whether cold weather has an effect. Being in Texas, the weather does not get too cold except for the 4-6 weeks of cold weather we may get on the occasional year (Austin area). The one thing I can attest to is this vehicle has substantially more power under the pedal than my 5.4 Triton did, V-6 or not. The fact that we are pulling around 3-tons with a V-6 is pretty amazing to me (and with some pretty decent performance). I have not yet completely come to terms with the proper driving techniques of non-naturally aspirated vehicle. I can say that I am not sure what the "Eco" in Ecoboost means other than it may get 1-2 MPG more that a V-8. Taking the fact the the F-150 is the best selling vehicle on the planet and there are many of them on the road, this 1-2 MPG increase in overall fuel consumption is a "monster" savings in fuel consumption when measured globally. I did not expect to see 20 MPG in my daily driving habits. I expect that from my wife's Honda CR-V (which weighs a lot less and has a 4-cyl engine, and is no where near as fun to drive). So, in a nutshell, brand new F-150 Ecoboost FX-4, normal driving, less than 20 miles per day commute, averaging 15.6-16 MPG which is 2-3 MPG better than my previous 2010 with the 5.4L V-8. The only upgrade made has been an AFE cold air intake. I have not had the AFE system on long enough to know if it has made a difference in the mileage.

Hope this helps.

I will update as I get more mileage on the truck with some more figures.

·
Vendor
1,173 Posts
Still will guarantee 1-3 MPG improvement with the RX system installed as it removes the oil and other contaminants from the PCV vapors that cause detonation and knock retard. That and break the new engine in properly that first few hundred miles and you will have the best possible ring seal and less blow-by to begin with. Best way is after 30 miles or so of heat cycling, run it WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear to 5k RPM and let it engine brake down so the rings are loaded evenly and can penetrate the lubrication barrier to allow the cross hatch hone cut to abrade the rings into the shape of the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dang, I've had mine for less than 30 days and I haven't seen more than 12 mpg in any form of driving, albeit most of my driving has been short city trips. I don't know how you cats are getting so much better. I baby mine like I'm driving miss daisy and I haven't been able to get more than 12 yet. My truck was used by the dealership's manager and had 5000 miles on it when I got it. I love the truck but I expected at least 14 mpg in city driving. I will say that I pulled a trailer with a 2000 lb Polaris Ranger on it and got 11.5 on a 300 mile round trip. Thoughts?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have found that my truck is very finnicky on gasoline brands. 7 Eleven gas got me 14.2mpg for the entire tank. Then I put in 100% gas (87) and now I get 15.8mpg. I have seen noticeable improvement on E-10 gas which I normally run on top tier gas brands like Mobil, Phillips 66, etc. I will also add that someone has mentioned that their MPG suck while the tranny warms up. I 100% agree, because my tranny takes way too long to reach operating temperature. Recently driving home from the airport on a 70mi trip, I did not reach full operating temp on my tranny until 55mi into my 70mi trip. As I got close to operating temp, I could clearly see the green fuel economy line inching slightly higher and higher.

41 - 60 of 137 Posts
About this Discussion
136 Replies
70 Participants
kingx999
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing