F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 143 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I just took ownership on a used 2011 F150 FX with Max Tow(3.73) with 19,500 miles. Bought from Ford Dealer. Before driving off the lot I reset the MPG trip as I was on a full tank. I Drove it home 205 miles (hwy). I purposely drove very conservatively with coasting and acceleration to maximize real time mpg reading. I maintained speeds 55-60 mph , using cruise control as much as possible. The result when I arrived home left me with a heavy pit in my stomach and buyers remorse. I barely managed 15 mpg - This is all hwy miles and driving like a 85 year old granny. When I got home I found out how to check the mpg history on the car computer and overall I see that its showing an average in the 13 mpg range. I've spent hours researching this forum and reading most posts by others receiving 20-22 mpg which helped lead me to my purchase decision. I absolutely love the truck and how it drives and bought it only after extensive research and test driving other trucks. I am looking for the best advice on how to proceed with improving this situation. Please save any "it's a problem with your right foot" comment - trust me you'd be preaching to the choir as I'm miser. Did I just happen to get a bad one or can it be brought up to 15/22 like most everyone else on this forum?

I'm currently considering calling my local ford shop and checking on the following (gleaned from this forum):

1)transmission sensor recall
2)Power control Module (PCM) update related to poor fuel economy/emissions.– Need to be reflashed with the newest tune?
3)Fuel mileage TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)
4) Pull the plugs and regap them
5) Powertrain Reprogram?? Field Service Action # 13E03??

Bottom line I can't keep this vehicle at 12/15 mpg. Any other thoughts or help out there?
thanks

Everyone talks about poor mileage, specially during the winter months. My truck does not have this problem with the Mods I have. I did a test this week, since I average around 14-15 mpg around town, during the week is all highway miles (35 miles each way). I started the week at 14 mpg. . Today I am at 17.5 MPG avg 70 MPH. My mileage has not changed, and I'm sure if I drove 200 miles, I would get 19-20 MPH . When I first purchased the truck, I expected to get better mileage around town, but in reality, this Ecobeast does very well for a 3 ton 4x4 truck, better than my Escalade 6.2!!!

Cold weather can cause the mileage to go down due to warm up time and cold greases and fluids. A couple of weeks ago my 2013 Lariat 4x4 Super Crew was getting about 17 to 18 mpg several days later the temperature dropped to the mid teens and my mileage dropped to 14.5 to 15 indicated, this was on the same tank of fuel. I reset the mileage readout during a 150 mile trip (1 way) and it still read around 15. That afternoon on my way home the temperature warmed back up to near 50 and the indicated mileage returned to near 18 (actual mpg on my truck is more like 116.5 or 17 when compared to the computer readout). I do NOT depend on my computer readout to be accurate as far as mpg readings go. I rely on hand calculated numbers only for figuring average fuel mileage. A pretty real world mpg number for these 2013 Ecos is in my signature. If you have a 4x4 and are getting 20+ mpg average you probably live in Colorado and smoke lots of pot cause it ain't happening. Please don't try to BS me and say well my i instrument panel computer says this or that cause I ain't buying it.

Bob

I have 3:73 gears max tow. Crew cab & 6.5' box. It's a big truck. People that get better fuel economy probably have lower gears. No 4x4. & extended cab with short box. In the summer.

Mine is very sensitive to wind and temperature. On a 60 degree day with no wind I get about 18 mpg on the highway. The same temp with a tailwind it can go up to 22 and with a headwind down to 16. On a 20 degree day and with a headwind I get around 13.5-14.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
On a factory wheel? I ask because rolling weight will kill the mileage on these trucks.
Yep, 18" factory wheel. I stopped by Les Schwab Tire store and spoke to a salesman this afternoon. He said what I have on there is slightly larger than a stock, has more weight and mildl more rolling resistance. My tires are 275/70R18 Hercules Terra Trac. He said he handles a lot of truck tire set ups and said rolling resistance, weight and that tread design shouldn't account for more than .5 - 1 mpg difference over stock. When I told him my hwy mileage, he looked perplexed and said "it's not the tire, there's something wrong" and told me how his '02 V8 Chevy gasser gets 20+ on the hwy.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Thanks. Engine was well warmed when I reset mpg computer just before leaving dealer. Air Temps were 25-33 deg on this trip, no wind. I checked engine temps during trip and was settled slightly higher than mid range on gauge (if that means anything).

Discussion starter · #14 ·
I have an appt with Ford Service center in town lat next week. For what its worth, this morning I called and spoke with the sales mgr where I purchased the vehicle yesterday. I told him the situation. He went through the normal checklist of considerations including blaming it on low octane gas they filled it up with (87). In the end he said it's just not right and to keep him posted after I have the tires checked at Schwab and engine run through at the local service shop. I did notice for the first time today that on 4 occasions when pulling away slowly from a stop that there was a loud "thud" when the engine shifted to 2nd gear. Am i to assume that the transmission is failing, or? I do have 8 mos left on the bumper to bumper at least.

Thanks. Engine was well warmed when I reset mpg computer just before leaving dealer. Air Temps were 25-33 deg on this trip, no wind. I checked engine temps during trip and was settled slightly higher than mid range on gauge (if that means anything).
It's been said before.. these motors do not like the cold weather. In 55 plus degree weather I get 17.5-18.5mph 65%highway and 35%city. In 30-40 degree weather my mileage dropped to 13.5-14.5mph. I say wait for warmer weather as I bet your mileage will increase 3-4 mph.

2013 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 Off-Road ShortBox w/3.73

Yep, 18" factory wheel. I stopped by Les Schwab Tire store and spoke to a salesman this afternoon. He said what I have on there is slightly larger than a stock, has more weight and mildl more rolling resistance. My tires are 275/70R18 Hercules Terra Trac. He said he handles a lot of truck tire set ups and said rolling resistance, weight and that tread design shouldn't account for more than .5 - 1 mpg difference over stock. When I told him my hwy mileage, he looked perplexed and said "it's not the tire, there's something wrong" and told me how his '02 V8 Chevy gasser gets 20+ on the hwy.
when i went from the factory 275/65/18 tires to my 10 ply 275/70/18 on after market wheels my mileage drop roughly 4 mpg.
so if you don't do any kind of off roading or seroius pulling i would see about going back to the factory size tires and a lower ply rating if possible

Hand calculate the mph instead of using the pc. At least do it for 1 tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

My 13 f150 gasser gets 20+ on the highway too if I drive it right. See I can say it too.

I would put a lot of it on the tires, recalculate the mileage by hand, unhook the battery for an hour to reset the PCM, and look into the spark plugs being gapped correctly. I would also ask the dealer to verify which PCM programming you have to make sure they didn't neuter it for a inter cooler repair. You should be able to look at the inter cooler though and tell if it's had any updates done to it.

You might also check the quality of fuel being out in the thing ie heb brand vs texaco. My family used to have a Cadillac with the North Star v8 I believe, and if you ran one brand of fuel too long it would get hard to start and the fuel mileage would fall off until you ran a different brand for a tank or two.

You also need to factor in the added size of the tire on your mpg, especially if you're just going off the PCM. It's calculating figures based on the wrong ratios.

Discussion starter · #19 ·
when i went from the factory 275/65/18 tires to my 10 ply 275/70/18 on after market wheels my mileage drop roughly 4 mpg.
so if you don't do any kind of off roading or seroius pulling i would see about going back to the factory size tires and a lower ply rating if possible
Good to know. thanks for the info.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
My 13 f150 gasser gets 20+ on the highway too if I drive it right. See I can say it too.

I would put a lot of it on the tires, recalculate the mileage by hand, unhook the battery for an hour to reset the PCM, and look into the spark plugs being gapped correctly. I would also ask the dealer to verify which PCM programming you have to make sure they didn't neuter it for a inter cooler repair. You should be able to look at the inter cooler though and tell if it's had any updates done to it.

You might also check the quality of fuel being out in the thing ie heb brand vs texaco. My family used to have a Cadillac with the North Star v8 I believe, and if you ran one brand of fuel too long it would get hard to start and the fuel mileage would fall off until you ran a different brand for a tank or two.

You also need to factor in the added size of the tire on your mpg, especially if you're just going off the PCM. It's calculating figures based on the wrong ratios.
great info, thanks. I'll factor this in when I take into the shop next week. I'll see what they say about the apparent intermittent hard shift into 2nd too.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.