F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just seeing if anyone knows what might cause this but on the freeway I am getting about 14-15 MPG (no headwind and cruise control on), not towing anything, tires aren't really aggressive at all, 3.73 gears and everything else is stock. Should I take it in and see if they can find the cause. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using F150 EcoBoost

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
How fast are you going? Expect to see between 15-18 at speeds greater than 65 with a stock EcoBoost. Then expect the additional things like lift/level, tires, and other accessories to bring this number/average down even more. I can get 20+ in mine if I do 55 MPH (most highway speed limits in AK), don't do any major high speed passes and I'm not fighting the wind. Not admitting that I speed either...but I might have had a conversation with an Alaska State Trooper shortly after getting my truck.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
akmedic77 I noticed zero change in fuel economy after putting leveling shocks on the front end.
From your picture it looks like you have aftermarket tires. Anything different from stock as far as tire size and your wasting your time at the dealer because they will defer to the tires and blame them. If the tires are stock then ignore the last comment.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have mine leveled 2.5" and have 35 x 12.5 goodyear duratrac tires on it. My mpg dropped from averaging 18-20 down to about 15.5.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the rim size is stock but the tire is slightly bigger than stock but nothing crazy. I talked to the dealer and they said that mine might need updated on it for better MPGs. Not exactly sure if that will help it or not but taking it Wednesday for testing. The loft is only leveling kit from what I know.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
akmedic77 I noticed zero change in fuel economy after putting leveling shocks on the front end.
From your picture it looks like you have aftermarket tires. Anything different from stock as far as tire size and your wasting your time at the dealer because they will defer to the tires and blame them. If the tires are stock then ignore the last comment.
Stock tires & wheels. Others are just appearance mods.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i was averaging like 18-19 with stock wheels and tires and went to a 10 ply 275/70/18 and it dropped to like 14 put exhaust on and went up to 15.8-16 so even if the tires are a little bigger kills it and I haver the 3.55 rear end

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I noticed ~1 mpg drop after putting a 2" level. The aerodynamics causes a little more resistance. Once wheels and tires went on, it dropped significantly. To be fair, I'm running 305/55/20 Trail Grappler M/T and getting 17 -18 avg.

some people had luck with updates and some people noticed improved mpg as the motor broke in.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was the 1 at the dealer raising hell. ...I was only averaging 13.8. Dealer said flash was up to date and to let th he motor break in. I was beginning to get upset when as soon as I broke 2000 miles I began to see steady increases. I am now sitting at 18.7 average.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I ran the interstate today at 80mph and got 16mpg. I typically run 70mph and get better than 18mpg. When I run 60mph I get 20mpg. This is average for the trips. I can see much better during stretches of sustained cruise control at any of those speeds but typically this is what the trips average out to base on speed traveled.

·
Registered
112 Posts
any time you drive this truck and have to use the boost your gas millage will drop,yesterday as i headed south west down i-44 at 70 mph which is a steady ascent as the lay of the land is a long gradual ridge into a south west wind on a 85 mile trip i was getting 15.9 mpg, as i headed home which is a steady descent with a light wind at my back i got 20.4 mpg. i have noticed this many times. thanksgiving we are heading to glasgow kentucky and the trip will be a long flat trip with few hills, looking forward to see mpg on this trip as i expect will be good 4x4 355 lariat

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well the rim size is stock but the tire is slightly bigger than stock but nothing crazy. I talked to the dealer and they said that mine might need updated on it for better MPGs. Not exactly sure if that will help it or not but taking it Wednesday for testing. The loft is only leveling kit from what I know.

Details matter, Again asking what size tire are you running? Hard to qualify how little or how large an effect the tires will by the metric "nothing crazy". What was your stock wheel tire size?

No doubt with a larger tire diameter will make the speedometer will read slow. Indicated speed on the speedometer will be slower than the rate of travel, the faster you drive, the ratio or the amount of difference increases. The modified tire size needs to be corrected via a tune. Otherwise the speedometer, MPG display, and a host of other systems are likely be to adversely affected. ABS, TC, etc.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I ran the interstate today at 80mph and got 16mpg. I typically run 70mph and get better than 18mpg. When I run 60mph I get 20mpg. This is average for the trips. I can see much better during stretches of sustained cruise control at any of those speeds but typically this is what the trips average out to base on speed traveled.
I can see a direct correlation. As the speed goes DOWN ... the MPGs go UP and the BOREDOM goes UP too.

I may as well bought a TOYota.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I can see a direct correlation. As the speed goes DOWN ... the MPGs go UP and the BOREDOM goes UP too.

I may as well bought a TOYota.
I have a fix that I'm working on. It's called not giving a damn about 2mpg.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Details matter, Again asking what size tire are you running? Hard to qualify how little or how large an effect the tires will by the metric "nothing crazy". What was your stock wheel tire size? No doubt with a larger tire diameter will make the speedometer will read slow. Indicated speed on the speedometer will be slower than the rate of travel, the faster you drive, the ratio or the amount of difference increases. The modified tire size needs to be corrected via a tune. Otherwise the speedometer, MPG display, and a host of other systems are likely be to adversely affected. ABS, TC, etc.
Sorry for delay in the details. I have 295/70/17 Open Country M/T Toyo. The only reason why I am questioning the MPG is due to my friend has the same setup up on his Ecoboost and he is heavy on the peddle and averaging about 17.5 MPG. We did a little test on the freeway side by side mine came in at 13.7 and his was 18.3.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Anyone out there experienced 6 mpg pulling a 24" enclosed car hauler roughly 6000 lbs.?? 2011 3.55 gear with 105K on it...
Yup, Pulling into the wind in cold weather I have had close to that bad. Pulling a 27 ft travel trailer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It does have more power than my last truck that had the Hemi in it but I really thought the mileage would be better, those turbo's are REAL thirsty when worked.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
About this Discussion
99 Replies
32 Participants
akmedic77
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing