F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I are avid campers/preppers, and as such had a 2004 Dodge ram 2500 quad cab long bed diesel that was setup for overlanding/bugout purposes. Unfortunately, that truck met its demise in an unfortunate accident.
When it came time to start looking at new trucks, my needs had changed quite a bit since buying my Dodge. Rather than wanting a ton of bed space at the expense of cab space, I now need the opposite for my wife and 3 kids, so I needed a large cab, and bed space was not as important.

Enter my 2013 F150 XLT Supercrew 5.5' bed.
It was purchased a small mom and pop used car dealer, for what I felt was a decent price, given the current truck market. This truck will be used as my toy, bugout vehicle, and will also tow our 4000 lb travel trailer for most of our camping adventures.

Here she is in all of her glory, the day I took her home. My kids have named it Mr. Igloo...

First order of business was to ditch the air dam, drill a weep hole in the intercooler, and remove the bug shield.

Next up was to remove those side steps that seemed to do nothing but get in my way...

That is where I am at so far. I currently have some accessories (roof top tent, etc) from my old truck that will be going onto this truck, once I get my new bed rack ordered feom Leitner Designs. Below is a list of mods planned, in no particular order...

Leitner Designs active cargo system bed rack (on order)
CVT Mt. Denali rooftop tent
Bilstein 5100 leveling struts and rear shocks
New wheels (undecided on brand or color)
35" tires (likely Falken Wildpeak ATs or MTs)
Custom front and rear bumpers with front winch if possible.
Led cubes to replace factory fog lights
Led interior lights throughout
Fx4 headlights and tail lights
Factory tow mirrors
Some sort of rocker panel protection

I'm off to a slow start currently, but I plan to use this thread as a place to document my build. First order of business is to do baseline maintenance on it, including new spark plugs and coils, then move on to mods. I will add to my list of mods as I think of them.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
We both pretty much started with the same truck. I did OEM FX4 HID conversion. It’s really expensive and I don’t like the cut off side pattern. Just my experience. A good aftermarket light might be better. Taillights weren’t to bad. I used Morimoto led fogs. They look blacked out and put out good light. Plus adjustable to not blind oncoming people. Has a real good top cut off. Not sure if the cubes are that friendly.
Looking forward to your build pics.

51BD0609-8DAD-4C60-8A89-F075285AB5E3.jpeg F58981A6-A09D-4A36-9F59-16906546A2A8.jpeg
My before and after.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We both pretty much started with the same truck. I did OEM FX4 HID conversion. It’s really expensive and I don’t like the cut off side pattern. Just my experience. A good aftermarket light might be better. Taillights weren’t to bad. I used Morimoto led fogs. They look blacked out and put out good light. Plus adjustable to not blind oncoming people. Has a real good top cut off. Not sure if the cubes are that friendly.
Looking forward to your build pics.

View attachment 171200 View attachment 171201
My before and after.
Thanks for your thoughts! I definitely want good headlights and fogs, so if the fx4 units aren't great for headlights, I'll probably look into aftermarket options.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Ford definitely could have done better with the HID lights. Lights are great straight in front but the sides are dark.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I just spent $500 on a midrise cap you could build into a sleeping quarters easily... $1000 cheaper then that rack.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just spent $500 on a midrise cap you could build into a sleeping quarters easily... $1000 cheaper then that rack.
Different strokes for different folks. For what I use my truck for, a cap is not as useful for me. But that is the beauty of it, every build is different.

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Good plan! I'm a camper also but tent oriented due to wilderness backpacking canoeing past. So my storage is minimal and fully met with a Decked Storage unit,

plenty space for week plus Canadian border trips,

If a heavy camp is desired a simple luggage bag goes in back,

I am east of the Mississippi so maybe truck-top camping is not as prevalent. KM

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good plan! I'm a camper also but tent oriented due to wilderness backpacking canoeing past. So my storage is minimal and fully met with a Decked Storage unit, View attachment 171291
View attachment 171292

View attachment 171293 View attachment 171294

Nice truck! I like the decked setup. I would get one but my truck is also used for hauling stuff on our homestead, so I can't really afford to lose bed space with the decked system.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Good plan! I'm a camper also but tent oriented due to wilderness backpacking canoeing past. So my storage is minimal and fully met with a Decked Storage unit, View attachment 171291
View attachment 171292

View attachment 171293 View attachment 171294

How does that decked setup do at keeping your gear dry? With a camper shell, I still get a little bit of water intrusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
How does that decked setup do at keeping your gear dry? With a camper shell, I still get a little bit of water intrusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite water resistant. It does collect condensation here in WI and the corner pockets are not sealed and will get wet. Had it since the truck was new 2017. I wash it at a comercial touchless spry drive in, the drawers will not leak under the pressure spray.
I keep a bag of tools and road gear plus a daypack with gear in them year around. KM

Reactions: snydmax

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Peices have started to arrive!! Leitner rack is here!! Now to find time to install it! Excuse the garage mess.. we are in the middle of gardening and planting trees...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Things are coming together with the bed rack. Only been at it for about an hour but gotta quit for today to make dinner...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Made some more progress on the rack before it started raining.. just a few holes to drill and bolts to put in, then I just need to put all the accessories on, and the roof top tent on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All of the holes are drilled, and the accessories have been mounted.. now I just need to get the Roof top tent mounted on top.. happy with it so far..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts