F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 eco with 3.55 E-Locker. I found that on the street, it will be like an open differential and if I use the electronic locking rear it turns off at
around 35mph. Is there a limited slip unit out there? Can I install one with the E-locker?

·
Registered
868 Posts
you are not the first person to post about options for these rears but i have not seen anyone that has actually made a conversion yet and can answer your question.
Ford offers a limited slip unit for 3.55 and 3.73 gear combos but does factory install of them in very select models
i would see no problem a person could not order one and install it yourself or have it installed by the dealer
i would assume you cannot use the E-lock with any other type of carrier but their are several aftermarket bolt in carriers available to convert these rears to a limited slip or posi
they are a 9.75" rear if you wish to look around at these
after my 2013 warranty runs out i will more than likely invest in an aftermarket limited slip but probably live with the E-lock until then

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
you are not the first person to post about options for these rears but i have not seen anyone that has actually made a conversion yet and can answer your question.
Ford offers a limited slip unit for 3.55 and 3.73 gear combos but does factory install of them in very select models
i would see no problem a person could not order one and install it yourself or have it installed by the dealer
i would assume you cannot use the E-lock with any other type of carrier but their are several aftermarket bolt in carriers available to convert these rears to a limited slip or posi
they are a 9.75" rear if you wish to look around at these
after my 2013 warranty runs out i will more than likely invest in an aftermarket limited slip but probably live with the E-lock until then
Yeah I am that "Other Person" who is looking at other options. I have a post in Stage 3 Motor's Forum about "Overriding the Electronic Locker". What I would really like to accomplish is to have the E-Locker stay locked beyond the 30 MPH in 2WD and 4HI (and 60 MPH in 4LO).

I have done some reading and research and, excluding street use for 2WD, the E-Locker does have advantages over an LSD in terms of distributing power. Unless you install an aftermarket LSD that fully locks (like the GM unit on it's LSD), the standard LSD uses a clutch mechanism that "slips" a little (the S in LSD) when transferring power to the other wheel.

However, Traction Control does transfer power between the two wheels (in 2WD) and 4 wheels (in 4HI ... in 4LO Traction Control and all other aids are turned off) by applying the brake to the wheels that slips to the Owner's Manual. As with all Traction Controls, you do loose some power. There is even a guy on YouTube "dcfluids" that does 2 short demonstration of this by doing a number of "burn outs" on various surfaces called "Spin Control".

Of course, you lose some power int the transfer because the PCM is applying brakes. BUT, unless you are "all out racing" or just want "max power" and a little anal (like me); for most people the Traction Control probably is sufficient, even for dry roads. But, as I said, I am a little anal ... and I want it all. So I too am still on my quest to override the Factory E-Locker Settings and have them stay on longer than 30 MPH in 2WD and 4HI.

Here are the two Videos.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grim,
If I had done more research before I bought my truck, I would not have ordered the E-locker rear. I honestly thought the option would be like having a aftermarket E-locker with the
standard LSD. I didnt realize it would be an open diff unlocked. Yes there are advantages to having both wheels lock in off road situations at low speeds and surely has its advantages
for 4wd trucks but I have a FX2 and rarely go off road. I was really looking for a performance upgrade with street applications.
I think it will be impossible to just have an overide of the factory E-locker because it will also need to unlock when making turns. It will be easier to accomplish this task with a Detroit locker type set up. I think I just may find a way to disable the E-locker and install a aftermarket posi unit. Let me know any updates you have in this matter.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Yeah I am that "Other Person" who is looking at other options.
Grim, I'm still very interested in the locker limit disable. I'm doing what i can to get some more info on it, but being that i'm in Asia it's not easy. I'm looking in to the raptor 4wd module to see if I can do something with it.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Thanks for the YouTube post grim. I always thought it acted like an open diff. I have noticed when turning right or left sharply with a trailer load that the tires tend to break loose with even moderate use of the throttle. I always thought it was because it was just one legging it but obviously that's not the case. And I couldn't lock it because I was turning and on pavement. So now I know it's because I'm using more than a "moderate" amount of throttle ;)

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
There's a way to put in a switch to force the e-locker on whenever you want, the answer is here:
E-Locker Override Mod? - Page 61 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
But you'll have to read through many pages to find the wiring. :)
Yes, I too recently found that post and am still reading through TONS of posts. I have tried to contact the original person (a Ford Tech) who was able to convert it to work like a "2011 Raptor" on his 2011 Truck. But there appears to be differences on how a 2011 Raptor works versus a 2013 ... still reading. As well, my 2013 4x4 works like a 2011 Raptor already (supposedly) - again I am doing more reading.

I have yet to find anyone who has replaced their E-Locker with an LSD unit. Also, I don't know if there are issues with Traction Control, Stability Control etc if you convert to a mechanical LSD unit that's non-Ford.

As for street use, I throughly understand if a person wanted a "Hot Rod Truck" would much prefer an LSD unit over anything Electronic as they usually "interfere" and reduce performance through using the "brakes" to control things.

PS: I did some Off Roading this weekend and tested the E-Locker in 2WD, 4HI and 4LO. I lost the E-Locker in 2WD and 4Hi at about 25 mph, which I still thought was too low. I did try some "burn outs" in the dirt and it most definitely transferred power to both wheels with and without the E-Locker on (all 4 in 4HI).

I then tried 4Lo and "What a howl"! I swore I had straight cut gears in the transfer case (probably do). Definitely "lower geared" with about double the RPMs than in 4Hi (maybe more). I didn't drive in 4Lo more than a few minutes before I switched back to 4Hi ... just to have some peace and quiet (don't know which was worse, the 4Lo gears or the wife's screaming).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wow, 4lo makes that much noise. I need to run my truck in 4lo, as I have not done so yet.

2013 Lariat CrewCab 4x4 Off-Road ShortBox w/3.73

1 - 10 of 10 Posts