F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have any ideas as to what all I would need to do to throw an EB into my wifes Explorer?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
You need lots of money and a very good mechanic! Lol
It is far beyond my level of knowledge, but I would love to hear all about the swap if you get it done.

Good luck,

SPPD

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im thinking that the electronics would be the biggest headache. But would the engin even fit? My wife is the one that asked me if it could even be done. I told her if it could be done someone here in our EcoBeast world would know.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Im thinking that the electronics would be the biggest headache. But would the engin even fit? My wife is the one that asked me if it could even be done. I told her if it could be done someone here in our EcoBeast world would know.
Ya I have to agree with skeet on this one. You would have to factor in the pricetag of the engine,electronics,intercooler all the extra brackets and hook ups+ all the labour. I bet it would be cheaper to sell the 2010 and buy a new one with the EB in the long run.

·
Registered
589 Posts
With the group on recommend to trade up bro... Unless you have the coin n skills on hand to do the swap. 2010 have the room given motors are either a 4.0l v6 or the 4.6l v8 both are bigger than the Eco (heck older models had the old 5.0l V8s in them).. But electronics would be a nightmare of a chore among other things...
You could always trade up to a 2013 explorer sport which is the only trim that comes with the 3.5l Eco and sport tuned suspension so she could really enjoy the power!!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Anything can be done with enough money and time. You would need the engine and trans out of an ecoboost F150. Then you would need to figure out the wiring to splice in the f150 computer. Then you would need custom engine mounts and turbo charge piping to and from the intercooler.

My advice would be trade in on a new explorer sport or if you just like tbe old model better find a 10 with the v8. Its 80 more horses and gets the same mpgs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, that was what I tried to tell her but seeing that Im not the only one who thinks this has helped to get her off my back. Lol. Honestly though, I was supprised when she asked me about the whole thing.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'd trade it in on the new 2013 Ford Explorer Sport - It comes from the factory with a twin turbo V6. I've actually been looking at getting one for a while now. Read more on our sister site @ Ford Explorer Forum

·
Registered
589 Posts
I picked up my wife a 2013 Explorer limited (NA 3.5L not the ECO long waiting list for those) and it has done extremely well. I have even towed our smaller enclosed 18' trailer about 4500lbs and it did good. I can only imagine that it would go from good to Epic! Plus they all ready have tuners and mods out there for it!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd trade it in on the new 2013 Ford Explorer Sport - It comes from the factory with a twin turbo V6. I've actually been looking at getting one for a while now. Read more on our sister site @ Ford Explorer Forum

I LIKE THAT!!!! 1st one I've seen! Don't get out much! Hey forestmyth If I were you I wouldn't let the wife see this rig! No brainer, buy the new one. She's a beaut!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
A few of the Police Departments around here are giving up there 2wd Tahoes and going with the new Explorer. I have seen 1 with the EcoBoost badge, but I think generally they are using the n/a 3.5.
We had a sport for a rental a while back and it drove very nice. The wife really liked it, but she isn't ready to give up the minivan yet.

SPPD

·
Registered
329 Posts
The new Explorers and Escapes are really nice. And they also make a 1.6L and a 2.0L Ecobeast in the Escape with 4WD.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm with the cheaper to trade ideas, but if you happened to be a body shop or salvage guy with the good fortune to come upon a wadded up eco 150, you'd already have all of the needed components (motor, Trans, inter cooler, computer and associated electronics) except for the compatibility pieces... motor mounts, drive shaft, exhaust, but I'm betting there's still a prohibitive amount of time and money involved, but then again, how many of us have put absurd amounts of money into show cars that we knew we could never recover!

I have a similar wish/want for my Navigator, the vehicles are very similar mechanically, (heck, Identical with the Expedition!) but since I picked up the latest truck, nothing about the navigator makes good sense to me! as stupid as the sync system is, it's far better than the system in the navigator, The gem module is nicer, turn signals, true automatic wipers... I could go on and on the only thing that the F150 lacks is the ride quality of the Navigator!

In a money's no object world, I'd like to commission ford to put a Navigator body on an F150 Limited, eco, SCREW, I'm sure I'm wrong, but when I have to drive the Navigator, I feel like it would be the best of both worlds!

·
Registered
805 Posts
You could buy a wrecked Flex or SHO and transplant the entire drivetrain, ECU etc to the Explorer. Probably be easier to trade it in like people are suggesting :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm with the cheaper to trade ideas, but if you happened to be a body shop or salvage guy with the good fortune to come upon a wadded up eco 150, you'd already have all of the needed components (motor, Trans, inter cooler, computer and associated electronics) except for the compatibility pieces... motor mounts, drive shaft, exhaust, but I'm betting there's still a prohibitive amount of time and money involved, but then again, how many of us have put absurd amounts of money into show cars that we knew we could never recover!

I have a similar wish/want for my Navigator, the vehicles are very similar mechanically, (heck, Identical with the Expedition!) but since I picked up the latest truck, nothing about the navigator makes good sense to me! as stupid as the sync system is, it's far better than the system in the navigator, The gem module is nicer, turn signals, true automatic wipers... I could go on and on the only thing that the F150 lacks is the ride quality of the Navigator!

In a money's no object world, I'd like to commission ford to put a Navigator body on an F150 Limited, eco, SCREW, I'm sure I'm wrong, but when I have to drive the Navigator, I feel like it would be the best of both worlds!
Red- Sweet news as Lincoln is going all Eco on the next Gen Navigator so you will have the 3.5L EcoBeast option. It is unsure if a 8sp tranny will be backing the Eco as Ford and GM are working together to get a 10sp auto out the door ASAP. Don't expect major overhaul on the body design but lincoln is trying to ensure it ties in more with their current product line and seperate itself even more from the expedition.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
15 Participants
ITboost90
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing