F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I recently bought a used 2016 F150 4x4 and have been noticing a little "wonkiness" with the electric-power steering.

Here are some of the things I've noticed, and you tell me what you think it could be:
  1. When accelerating from a stop, I have to correct my steering from going left and/or right, regardless of the crown in the road. My first guess was alignment, but this truck drives straight as an arrow going down the highway.
  2. When making turns around town, I've noticed my steering feel go from light to stiff very quickly.
  3. When driving to work this morning, I made a turn at about 15-20 mph and heard a light hum/soft grinding noise as I made my turn. It didn't do it again after that instance.
These are all very light symptoms, but I'm trying to see if they can be resolved. I believe my truck has a 1 month warranty from the dealership I bought it from, since it's out of warranty otherwise. I will take it there to see what they say, but if you have any experience with the above things, let me know.

I've heard of the rack and pinion going out and costing a pretty penny to fix. Hoping it's something else, but we'll see.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. Bone stock. I had a 2013 F150 with the EPAS and feel like the 2016s let you know the EPAS isworking a lot more than the previous generation... I did some reading on the wandering and other things people say take time to get used to. Still not really sure about it. Haha

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 2011 f150 went through some steering issues at about 25k Miles. It got stiff and didn’t want to react to turn and then would turn suddenly. It was intermittent. Took it to the dealer and they checked could find nothing. Because I couldnt reproduce the issue I left and continued to watch it. Aftenrabout a thousand miles it went away never to be heard from again. Never did figure it out. The steering is electronically controlled and provides different feeling at low vs high speed. Take it to the dealer while under warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts