F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...first post here but I have been reading and searching this forum quite a bit.

Data before questions: I have a 18 lariat screw with 5.5 box, max tow with 3.55 rear. Factory 20 wheels with Michelin LTX on them. Currently have 37k miles on truck. It is my daily driver and I tow a 21ft, 5000 lb travel trailer about once a month 1-4 hrs from home. I live in Tucson so it gets hot as F in the summer.

Question: I finally pulled the trigger on 5 star tune, what mods to the truck should I do next? What do you feel is necessary for a truck I will probably keep another 3 years? I have never modded my trucks before and don’t want to spend a fortune. I just want to tow better/safer then have fun sometimes without buying a sports car.

Got 87 & 89 perf/tow and 91 perf, hope to install this week. Also replacing the plugs. I like the power I currently get in sport mode so I am super excited with the tune. do I need an intercooler since I got the tune to keep from ruining the truck?

Based on what I have read in here I will be doing Bilstein 5100 for sure all around. Maybe even a sway bar.

thanks for your time and opinions.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Interooler isn't "needed" but an intercooler is always a good upgrade on any turbo engine. It won't give you more power necessarily, but gives more consistent power for longer periods when demanding high load from the engine (think towing up a long steep grade). AMS turbo pipes are a good bang for buck upgrade to get another 20ish hp and improve efficiency.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well put on the intercooler for sure. Beyond that, if you already enjoy your truck in stock sport mode just you wait until those 5* tunes come in she’ll feel like a different machine on that 91 perf tune. Load it up, slap her into sport mode and enjoy the ear-to-ear grin, guaranteed.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Interooler isn't "needed" but an intercooler is always a good upgrade on any turbo engine. It won't give you more power necessarily, but gives more consistent power for longer periods when demanding high load from the engine (think towing up a long steep grade). AMS turbo pipes are a good bang for buck upgrade to get another 20ish hp and improve efficiency.
This^^^^^

Then just keep up on maintenance and it will live a long happy life.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
1,035 Posts
For me, after dropping tunes into my Eco, I will be obtaining and installing an aftermarket FMIC. Why? Because as was already stated, when under long pulls the factory unit gets terribly heat soaked. I tow a lot and this will help me. For you? It may be something to help it breathe better, think more air in, more air out. Downpipes made a HUGE difference in the "butt dyno" for me, catback not so much. Anyway, your mileage may vary...

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,417 Posts
+++ on the CAC/intercooler and they can be found around $550. Easy DIY install. I an a fan of handling suspension improvements. No sense going fast if it handles like a wagon with a missing wheel. KM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.