F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know this new Ecoboost Expedition is going to be a towing beast. Post your Ecoboosted Expedition Photos here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First towing "expedition"

Our family of 6 rented a Salem 31ft trailer that has a 7100 dry weight and drove it on a 1500 mile, 10-day trip. Our 2015 Expedition EL Limited pulled it just fine. The power situation was much better than the 2001 F250 7.3 diesel it replaced. I felt the diesel was constantly struggling to pull this trailer whereas the Expedition seemed to have oodles of extra power and rarely had to downshift. Although we did not do any mountain driving I am sure it would handle that just fine. The builtin trans temp gauge never really budged from around 200 degrees. My F250 had a 178" wheelbase (vs 131 for Expedition EL) and 19.5" heavy duty tires so comparatively the Expedition feels less stable but it never felt unsafe. Of course I had a WD hitch and the Reese anti-sway control device. The family is way happier riding in the Expedition vs the F250 and that makes a big difference on long trips. All in all I am very happy with the Expedition as a tow vehicle but as I consider purchasing a trailer I will likely try to keep the length under 30' and GVWR < 8000 lbs so I have plenty of safety margin.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Our family of 6 rented a Salem 31ft trailer that has a 7100 dry weight and drove it on a 1500 mile, 10-day trip. Our 2015 Expedition EL Limited pulled it just fine. The power situation was much better than the 2001 F250 7.3 diesel it replaced. I felt the diesel was constantly struggling to pull this trailer whereas the Expedition seemed to have oodles of extra power and rarely had to downshift. Although we did not do any mountain driving I am sure it would handle that just fine. The builtin trans temp gauge never really budged from around 200 degrees. My F250 had a 178" wheelbase (vs 131 for Expedition EL) and 19.5" heavy duty tires so comparatively the Expedition feels less stable but it never felt unsafe. Of course I had a WD hitch and the Reese anti-sway control device. The family is way happier riding in the Expedition vs the F250 and that makes a big difference on long trips. All in all I am very happy with the Expedition as a tow vehicle but as I consider purchasing a trailer I will likely try to keep the length under 30' and GVWR < 8000 lbs so I have plenty of safety margin.
Do you have the rear air suspension, and if so, did it help a lot with the towing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes I got the rear load leveling option. While it did still feel a bit squirrelly at the front end I think without the load leveling option it would have been much worse. The load leveling in my case did not cause the Expedition to sit completely level with the trailer I towed but it comes pretty close. My feeling is that without the load-leveling option I would not have been able to safely tow the trailer.

According to Wikipedia it is not the previous "adaptive pneumatic air-ride load-leveling suspension" but rather the new-for-2014 mechanical Nivomat system.

sticker.jpg

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Getting work done in the kid hauler:

IMG_5411.JPG

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Huh, I am really liking the expedition. I'm really impressed they can tow that well.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Huh, I am really liking the expedition. I'm really impressed they can tow that well.
Same 3.5 engine as the F150. The vehicle weighs within a few hundred pounds of the F150 screw so it's got the mass to not get pushed around by a decent load out back. Suspension is up to par and it's got a pretty solid tow rating for a vehicle that can handle "mini-van-like" people moving duties. They even come with the electric trailer brake controller, just like the F150. Ford did a good job with the Expy, though the rather dismal production numbers don't prove that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Same 3.5 engine as the F150. The vehicle weighs within a few hundred pounds of the F150 screw so it's got the mass to not get pushed around by a decent load out back. Suspension is up to par and it's got a pretty solid tow rating for a vehicle that can handle "mini-van-like" people moving duties. They even come with the electric trailer brake controller, just like the F150. Ford did a good job with the Expy, though the rather dismal production numbers don't prove that.
It's a very capable truck and I really think poor sales has a lot to do with lack of upgrades over the past 10 years, although the independent rear was way ahead of the times. Last week our group rented an Ecoboost XLT with leather and thought that there wasn't really too much different than our 2003 - 12 years later. Nicer dash, quieter and there were some interior upgrades but Ford charges more than double for essentially the same truck. We love our Expedition, has been trouble free and done it all for us. Last year, we did upgrade our tow vehicle to an Ecoboost 2014 CC F150 - might have waited, but not sure if I would have paid a the huge premium over the pickup. Well here is ours waiting to get on the ferry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2016 KR EL with 2016 Keystone Cougar Western Edition Half-Ton

This is what I tow. Not that bad at all even though the trailer is just under 32' total length and 6500lbs. dry, just make sure you have two stabilizers on the WDH and cross winds/rutted freeways are no issue at all. Honestly this motor pulls so strong that you have to back it down to 60mph when climbing the Mogollon Rim between Phoenix and Flagstaff, AZ so the motor doesn't overheat in the typical 100 F summer temperatures. Fuel economy is about the same as an RV at around 7 mpg with a 20 mph cross wind.
IMAG00181.jpg

·
Administrator
9,768 Posts
Ehh, should have tuned that 7.3! I had one for years. Pulled like a freight train with an 80hp tow tune!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ehh, should have tuned that 7.3! I had one for years. Pulled like a freight train with an 80hp tow tune!
True, I actually had all the upgrades mapped out. Performance turbo, 4" exhaust, intake, F6 tuner, BTS transmission, etc. In the end the wife's dislike of having 6 people in 2 rows killed those plans and after 15 years of ownership I had to sell the F250 - a sad day for me.

Here she was pulling my fishing boat: f250.jpg

·
Administrator
9,768 Posts
I went with a GT38r turbo, tymar intake, and muffler "delete". (I cut it off) I owned it for 8 years, and sold it with 335,000 miles. I had dp tuner with 80 eco, 80 tow, and 140 performance tunes. She would, uhh, "spit" and get. And it was a manual tranny, sounded awesome rowing through the gears with a camper in tow.

uploadfromtaptalk1465659604608.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I am looking at purchasing a MGP 2250RB travel trailer. From what I've seen, your TT are longer and heavier than what I am looking at.
Do you see any issues with a 2015 without the auto leveling suspension having any issues towing it.
MPG2250RB.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't think you will have any problems with the 2250RB. Myself I am aiming to keep any future trailer purchase under 8,000 lbs GVWR so I have a reasonable safety margin. With a hitch weight of 340 I would think the lack of leveling suspension would pose no problem. You could always ask the seller/dealer to let you hook up and drive it around some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Taking the old Gator to its new owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Ford Expedition EL Limited. I'm towing a 34' 2010 Keystone Sprinter with a 8,600 lb dry weight. I have to admit I'm a GM guy however after towing with this thing I'm extremely impressed with the power and torque of the 3.5 Ecoboost engine. With this size trailer you will definitely want a weigh distribution hitch with a dual cam sway prevention system. Even with this on I still experience some sway on the highway. But without you would be all over the road with this size trailer and a 1/2 ton truck. IMG_3634.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice looking setup tyseberly. You even managed to match the paint of the Expedition and the trailer :p. Do you know what your wet weight totals out as?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts