F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I just picked up a set of these and there doesn't seem to be an inboard and an outboard. All 4 are identical, including the code stampings on them. The stampings appear to indicate model #, date of production and something else....but nothing that would indicate front/back or inboard/outboard. Tell me Power Stop didn't screw this set up. :mad:

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
I'll answer my own post. After seeing a 2nd set, I can confirm the Z36-2087 front pads for the 2014 F-150 (and likely several years prior and after) do NOT have inboard and outboard pads. There are NO "ears" on the inboard pads.

The 2087 is the new part # from Powerstop, replacing the Z36-1414. I did a TON of online research trying to find anything regarding this change, but there's nothing. Yeah, I could've bought them from a site sponsor and likely got a timely response through the forum, but I didn't. Lesson learned perhaps.

Hopefully this post will show up on a G search and it'll help someone in a pinch who's unsure what the deal is.

Quick review- As far as stopping power goes, they're def better than the OEM's. I thought they'd make the pedal feel more touchy but it feels almost identical to stock. It requires the same pedal effort but the pads bite in better and stop the truck faster. You know when you test drive a new vehicle and almost lock em up in the parking lot the first time you hit the brakes because you're not used to the pedal and you end up looking like a jackass? It's not like that. Anyway, they stop nice. I'm sure I'll appreciate em more when I tow something or don't hit a deer. Not sure about the dust factor, but the brake-in (馃) procedure leaves a LOT.

On a side note....ever notice the traffic when you're trying to bed in a set of pads? It's strange there's never anyone around when you start your first deceleration......

Registered
Nice write up on the Powerstops. I had mine installed by a trusted race mechanic....so I didn't see the pads etc..
As far as how they perform while towing a 9k dry 38' TT.....AWESOME is what it is-lol
Brake dust is minimal, not really any different for me than the old OEM's.
Screenshot_20190804-113720_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
I've got the 1414 front pads with the ears. Great brake package for sure.

Mitch

Registered
Yeah, that is a little strange. I sent the question to customer service. I am not sure how the replacement pads could have changed for the same year model. . . .

Registered
Hi guys. I just picked up a set of these and there doesn't seem to be an inboard and an outboard. All 4 are identical, including the code stampings on them. The stampings appear to indicate model #, date of production and something else....but nothing that would indicate front/back or inboard/outboard. Tell me Power Stop didn't screw this set up. :mad:
Yes, it looks like you are all good.

Here is the attachment showing the change.

Powerstop Supersession.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Nice find, Madmaxmutt. Where on their website did you find that?

I'm surprised they're not putting little notification slips in the boxes. I've seen many times where there have been design changes in a product and they'll include some sort of notification on/in the packaging. I'd imagine this change is going to cause a lot of confusion for a bit. Hopefully Powerstop has it listed in plain sight for DIY'ers like myself.

Interestingly, as some of you may have already seen, the OEM rear pads don't have the ears and part of the piston actually does "peek" out the top of the pad. I guess they figured it wasn't necessary on the fronts and just eliminated it.

Registered
I recently ordered a new Front Brake Kit (Pads & Rotors). They are Z36s.

When I get my Front Brake Kit, I will check out the pads and see if they are different than the original Z36s I bought (that how the 'ears').

1 - 8 of 8 Posts