F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 377 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm about a month (1300 miles) into the swap from my 2018 KingRanch and so the data-comparison is starting to shape up. So I thought I'd share a few things as I go and maybe it will have value, maybe not. :)

I can tell you a few of my favorite Gen2 3.5 Ecoboost/10r80 differences, as well as anything I don't like as much.

Top billing is the increase in oil pressure at idle and low-torque demand cruising! Yaw have suffered my oil pressure rant for more than 3 years, so I won't re-hash, but this truck idles and cruises at 36-40psi. SO MUCH BETTER than 22-26. (I fully admit that I have no expertise on the subject, but oil pressure in the low 20's at 70mph would creep me out)

Second billing is the ECT Temps. It's already nasty hot down here in the tropic of coastal Texas. 95-100F with the heat index hitting 105F on the trucks ambient temp gauge. But where the KingRanch operated in the 208-216F ECT range, this truck is in the 187-196F range. I'm stunned. I really really want to know what Ford did?

Note: I haven't towed anything yet, so please don't think I am implying........
I'm only saying that this truck stays below 200F in typical daytoday use.

Obviously I do not know what role the electric motor assist plays in the ECT's. I DO however know that it is part of the equation in what I describe as an irritating clumsiness from a dead start in "Normal Mode". The truck attempts to be an EV truck, but since that electric motor isn't strong enough to provide the torque request of "let's go", the ecu changes its mind and says "let's go ICE", at about the same moment that the transmission has been told to skip 2nd gear and go to 3rd. The whole thing is just clumsy. Irritating.
Ironically, Normal mode doesn't skip 4th and 6th like the KingRanch did. Which is GREAT! Other than the clumsy start, Normal mode is actually just fine for normal driving. Go figure. That's definitely a substantial change in Fords 10r80 strategy.
There ARE 2 different things that I can do to mitigate the stumble. First I can just be intentionally aggressive with the throttle from a stop and force the truck to completely give up on the idea of even trying to be EV. This also causes Normal Mode to use 2nd gear, therefore the truck doesn't skip any gears, just like Sport mode on the KingRanch. Or I can take off intentionally like an old geezer and the truck will not only use 2nd gear, but may even stay in EV mode for a little longer and as a result have some momentum before it switches to ICE, which is completely transparent most of the time.

By the way, Sport Mode seems to nix EV altogether and the truck is a completely normal ICE truck with a 10-speed, albeit with considerably increased tip-in throttle mapping. Even more aggressive and "Sporty" than the ICE only KingRanch.

In summary, increased oil pressure, decreased ECT's, and a Normal mode that is better AND worse than the previous truck.

From what I have heard, the actual motor itself is the same Gen2 3.5 Ecoboost between the two trucks. Including the cheap cast pistons and poor ring-pack. But there does seem to be significant changes in the software at least. And there's definitely a substantial engineering difference in the 10r80 to accommodate the Hybrid hardware and the re-engineered transmission cooling.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Don’t forget the EGR;)
That's a dirty word in my diesel past. :(

With the addition of an EGR, surely that required considerable programming. I mean it's far more than just a bolt-on, afterall. Good or bad, Ford had to address a multitude of parameters to add EGR to an existing motor.

Some dashboard eye-candy I recorded earlier as I cycled through the various modes. (each mode is considerably more colorful if the engine is running and the truck is moving. That's because the animation for RPMs and MPH are very bold and are strongly contrasting with the color scheme by design. Once you get used to a scheme you realize that you are discerning the information at a glance)
Notice that multiple modes called for 4A or 4Lo, depending on the mission. Even Sport mode is programmed to switch 4A on, although you can go back to 2WD and stay in Sport.

Also, the truck does give you the opportunity to return to the mode you were previously in when you start the truck. However, it's not as good news as it first sounds because you must acknowledge whether you desire to within a few seconds or it reverts to Normal. So ironically you are hitting a button regardless.

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,083 Posts
So groovy dude.

·
Premium Member
10,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So groovy dude.
:)
I think you'd be approving of the fact that I, me, yea Mr. tune-your-Ecoboost, is likely to leave this one alone.
I can't promise that I won't be modding the suspension and tow-worthiness, but I ain't touching that computer-drivetrain. I can't even figure out how it works yet.

Belt drive starter? And it runs the water pump? (or something like that)

And does this (below) mean it doesn't have an alternator? Not to mention that you can hear some kind of electric pump when you are electric (no ice) and you apply the brakes. (brake boost is electric)

Guess I won't be putting the Brembos on it? :(

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
4,083 Posts
Not saying they have never existed, but I've never heard of a belt drive starter. I wonder if it is also the alternator. I wonder if it is circulating water to help keep the battery cool while on electric-only power ?

·
Premium Member
10,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Storm front just came through and power is out at the big house, which feeds the panel back on the other side of the pond where I live in my RV.

I haven't had a chance to install a proper transfer switch on the main panel yet, so I went and grabbed the truck from the barn and backed it up to my RV porch.
Used a simple 110v 20Amp adapter to plug the 30Amp RV chord into the truck. (will be using the trucks 220V outlet to backfeed the panel in the future so both banks can be in use)

Raised the Air Conditioner thermostat up high enough to not trigger the compressor until I knew what kind of load the rest of the RV already had. (I LIVE in it, so I have a lot of non camping devices always plugged in. Ice-maker, stereo system, computers, wifi access point,.....)

All looked great, so I cranked on the 15,000btu AC. It pegged Bank one shortly at 3600 watts, but only for a second and then settled to what you see below.
I think I'll install softstarts on both mine and my brothers AC's and we should be able to get away with running one each!

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Wait what?!? wow I guess I missed this! had no idea that you got a power boost, very nice!!!

and by the way, it’s great to see you back! Missed ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks good sir!

Yea, I just couldn't resist. I'm the dead bullseye for whoever at Ford came up with the idea to build a generator into a truck. I'm just una-bomber-nerd enough to convince myself that I can do anything that I can dream of now because I'm not only off the grid when I want to be, but I'm a rolling grid everywhere I go. :)

Can't wait to spend the night on the beach in the bed and wake up and plug in the espresso machine because..... Well, I just can. Lol

I got like a million ideas. ;)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Was the full Ford truck commercial in the dash screen at startup (boot up really) also there before 2021? I have a lowly XLT so don’t see such things. It would drive me crazy.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade! I've been eyeing the powerboost myself and am patiently awaiting for a special edition lariat that ditches the brown interior contrasts. I too really enjoy the idea of being completely self sufficient as a "rolling grid".

I was able to cruise around in a '21 3.5 XLT while my truck was in the shop, and I really liked the new 10r80 strategy. Like you mentioned, normal mode was actually tolerable and the truck seemed to skip gears less often, which did away with the clumsy feeling my '20 often exhibits.

Can't wait to see how this one shapes up.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
10,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats on the upgrade! I've been eyeing the powerboost myself and am patiently awaiting for a special edition lariat that ditches the brown interior contrasts. I too really enjoy the idea of being completely self sufficient as a "rolling grid".

I was able to cruise around in a '21 3.5 XLT while my truck was in the shop, and I really liked the new 10r80 strategy. Like you mentioned, normal mode was actually tolerable and the truck seemed to skip gears less often, which did away with the clumsy feeling my '20 often exhibits.

Can't wait to see how this one shapes up.
Thanks BC

I think you just answered one of my questions about the transmission strategies on the 21.

Since I don't have a non-Powerboost to compare to, I never know if what I am experiencing would translate over to the regular 2021. Good to hear that the "improved" strategy for Normal-Mode does apply.

However, Normal-Mode still wants to get into overdrive asap. Cruising rpms is low. It's far smoother and elegant from 0-whatever than previously, but it's borderline lugging if you ask my buddy from Arkansas. :) (Like myself, he prefers rpms that start with a 2)

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
What a bad truck you have Snake
I think all your OP peers are drooling about right now....-know I am.
Well, as far as stock 1/2 tons go.... nothing can out accelerate that truck and or even compare to t having a on board generator system. Simply the BEST 1/2 ton truck out there!
Only the TRX can beat her , but that thing is a gas hog soooo....another win for the POWERBOOST!
Congrats on the AWESOME rig!
Sleeve Gesture Font Symbol Circle

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sounds like one heck of a truck. I can't wait to hear about towing. If I was a gluten for debt I'd get one but with ZERO debt and saving every month I'm not even going to go look at them and tempt my self-control!!!

1 - 20 of 377 Posts