F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
641 - 660 of 683 Posts

·
Registered
2022 F150 SCREW, Power Boost, 6.5' Box, 4x4, 1645# CC
258 Posts
Fixing to add a slight "get out of the way" night time rear view mirror enhancement.

You gotta start with an open hood. A glance at potentially the most complex engine compartment of the F150

View attachment 178335
I remember the bad old days when, after lifting the hood, I could see the ground on either side of the engine. Now, with my PB, I can't even see the engine.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #642 ·
It is pretty crammed full in there. My 2012 F150 Normally Aspirated 3.7 has quite a bit of air under the hood. It's at about 110,000 miles and runs like new.

Here's the cooling stack, minus the Intercooler:

Automotive parking light Tire Car Grille Automotive tail & brake light

Office equipment Electrical wiring Engineering Wood Gas

The louver curtain has a deep surround that fits very snugly into a "mirror" rubber wall attached to the body/frame. So it seems like a decent capture of airflow.

Automotive tire Wood Composite material Rectangle Gas

Building Composite material Material property Facade Building material

Line Composite material Cylinder Steel casing pipe Engineering

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown.... Oops, I mean 2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Shiney White
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #643 ·
With the airbox removed you can get a much better look at the driver's side component layout.

The intake pipe to the driver's side Turbo is as big as the intake itself in spite of the big dent necessary for the second expansion tank. And then of course begins its necessary taper to the Turbo.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Black Automotive fuel system Rim

Zoom for a look at the actuator.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Automotive design

Second expansion tank plumbing for the Hybrid side of the coolant loop

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Gas

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
How can anything stay cool enough with all that stuff crammed in there. Amazing.

·
Premium Member
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 ·
It's kinda crazy, ain't it? The cooling loops are so complicated too. So many heat exchangers on this truck. I know of 8
That stack in the picture was 3 of them.

Oh, and thanks @Stage3Motorsports
I love the lights and the optional harness for the dynamic bending headlights was first class. Whoever built that harness did a perfect job.
(Their installation instructions aren't great though. If anyone ever chooses this modification, it's WAY easier to just remove the grill/shutter assembly than to attempt separating it still on the truck)

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Grille

·
Premium Member
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #646 ·
Maybe when the sun is shining the latest Ford is too conservative for its detractors, but I think it's a smart looking face when it's dinner time.
One thing for sure is Zone Lightning can light up like a Christmas tree if you crank it ALL on. You will find it in the parking lot too. :)

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Output device Tire Cameras & optics

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Ok so now I’m really interested to come see your truck in person. How much are the guided tour tickets? Any senior discounts?

·
Premium Member
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #648 ·
They have them at your friendly Ford dealership. :)
And you obviously have a good relationship with one.
Tell them to hook you up with a test drive.

Hey check this shot out:
(not my truck and I don't have the tpms on anything I tow. Yet.)
That's just awesome

Gauge Speedometer Measuring instrument Auto part Tachometer

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Those dealership guys know nothing about these trucks; especially compared to what you’re showing us. And, they tend to get “anxious” whenever I start to take things off to get a close look at what’s under or behind something!

·
Premium Member
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #650 ·
OK. That's definitely true.
But my dealership has put up with me showing up unannounced and informing them that I need to climb underneath a truck and gets some pictures for a forum. Lol
I've posted pictures here of photos I got from a brand new truck that was on the inside showroom. I think it was related to someone suggesting that the 10r80 transmission cooler was no longer positioned in front of the tranny underneath.

I also remember running around the lot looking through the grills of various drivetrains back when the transmission cooler was first reported to not be mounted in front of the cooling stack as a air/liquid exchanger. I believe that was late 2017?

But yea, not every dealership would probably put up with my shenanigans. 🙄😁

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Wow tpms with tire temps. Astounding.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #652 ·
So when I discovered that the truck was likely going to have "Park Assist" deleted, in order to go ahead with the build date, I was not really disappointed, considering all the other potential deletes that Ford is doing to get high trim trucks assembled. Whatever Park Assist is, I had not specifically asked for it, rather it is a component in one of the various packages that I ordered.
(and the sticker even showed a credit!)

Product Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

However, I was assuming that since it is a chip-shortage delete that the truck would arrive without some kind of Park Assist sensors and thus I would see visible evidence of what's missing.

I was a little surprised that the front bumper had the 6 sensors mounted. So what does Park Assist use?
From what I understand it is really just an autolaunch of the front camera system when the truck senses it is close to an object. If so, then I thought those bumper sensors were it

Grille Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car

But there they are in all their glory?
And what is that sensor above the bumper that was revealed when I removed the trim above the bumper?

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Office equipment Bumper Automotive exterior

There's one on each side.

Then the Adaptive Cruise Control sonar sensor is behind the black bumper pad on the driver's side

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

I guess my point is that I don't see any sensors that were deleted and all the sensors for Bluecruise, Accident avoidance, adaptive cruise,.... It's all there.

I'd love to know more about which "sensor" type plays what role, and how it works, to support the various features. If the necessary hardware is there to support:

Land vehicle Vehicle Odometer Gauge Speedometer

Then WTH does little Ole "Park Assist" need that's missing? Lol

• Wow

·
Premium Member
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #653 ·
One thing amazing about the whole OTA framework of this platform is the F150 has attracted folks for the sole reason of geek in their DNA.
This fella actually has a Mach-E, and with its shared framework for OTA, he built an Android Widget for his car. When he discovered the F150 shared the cloud infrastructure, he generously shared his code on Github.

At a glance of the phone :

Automotive lighting Liquid Drinkware Font Barware

Reactions: Nisco

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Then what does little Ole "Park Assist" need that's missing? Lol

This is gonna bug me to no end! Indeed! What is missing? A small module containing a chip or two? I wonder if parts diagrams or wiring schematics are available to check off parts against what is actually in your truck?
But if a chip is missing inside an existing module we may never know!
Dang!

·
Premium Member
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #655 ·
Eventually, someone as bothered as you might be will track it down. They will list the part(s) and how to plug it in. (where)
And then what to enable in Forscan. :)

I'll watch for it.

·
Premium Member
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #657 ·
Good question!
I'll see if I can find evidence and I promise to report back. You know I love posting pictures. :)

• Haha

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
Yall got catchcans and weepholes yet ?

·
Premium Member
12,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #660 ·
My 2018 KR has park assist. On mine it’s a automated parallel parking feature. When activated it will literally take over steaming of the car. The driver needs to control breaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That very well could be part of the overall Park Assist function, but the current Park Assist delete supposedly is the triggering of the front cameras when the truck gets close to an object.

Like you describe, my 2018 has the Parallel Parking "Park Assist", but nothing camera related.

Adding to the confusion is the truck showed up with all the necessary sensors intact. And the hands-free steering motors and backup assist steering..etc, is all onboard and functioning. So I have no idea what was actually "deleted"?

Reactions: AGPank
641 - 660 of 683 Posts