F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
781 - 800 of 842 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Powergrid KingRanch in Sparkle White
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #781 ·
There's the traditional cooling loop for the ICE
Then there's the second, completely isolated and independent, cooling loop for the EV portion. (Hybrid battery, inverter, and a couple of converters)

All together this truck has 8 heat-exchangers.
Intimidatingly complex.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 ·
The fella developing the Android Widget for the Mach-E and F150 is making great progress.

I just noticed that it's aware that my hood is up.
Cool stuff

Liquid Automotive lighting Light Drinkware Fluid

·
Registered
61 Posts
There's a rumor that an IPMA module update is in the queue for my 2022 Powerboost.
The possible issues that the truck faces is that IPMA updates can take a long time (up to 3 hours) and if the mothership in the cloud checks the BMS for battery health it will not deliver the update OTA.
In fact, it will look for 12.6 Volts or more.
Problem with these new trucks is that unless you are driving it daily, it's very easy for the vast array of features to quickly bring the battery down to 12.3 or less, so these kinds of updates aren't ever delivered OTA successfully. You would need to manually apply the update with FDRS/ODB

Of course I could if I wanted to, but I would like to see this truck experience its first OTA delivery. :)

So it's on a charger on the front porch and I have Sync configured to allow updates from 10AM on.

We'll see!
What is the power supply/charger you are using? I'm looking for one that I can use for those long OTA's.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #784 ·
This one was recommended for its inclusion of the "power supply" option. (FDRS thread on Gen14)

And so you can get the battery charged up and then switch to power supply mode for a lengthy accessory mode session.
There's some debate of whether it's necessary or of any real advantage, but it is a pretty nice piece of equipment.

Clore Automotive PL2320 20-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, and Stable Power Supply with Temperature Compensation https://a.co/d/itHMwYU

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Better check that LF tire.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #786 · (Edited)
My more favored vendor for the tailgate lettering finally came through with the 3D letters. His color match to the KingRanch accent color is dead on and he even includes the metal flake in it.

I know not everyone likes the sticker look, but I always see the stamping as being unfinished.

The previous "sorta match"

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light

The new Tufskinz dead ringer

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Looks good ! I also think the stamping looks unfinished, always have.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
478 Posts
Agreed on the "un-finished look"... This looks great!

Can I ask you about your thoughts on the Adaptive Steering option?
Did you get it on this or the prior PB?
If so, any thoughts on how it compared to the 18 KR's steering (acknowledging the difference in tires might muddy the comparison)?

I feel like the steering is too light at highway speeds, and of course no communication through the wheel.

Wondering if there is any real-world improvement for this option?
Or is it just about adjusting the steering ratio?

People might say "its a truck, who cares", but to me this is your primary connection to the vehicle and the road, and it still matters greatly.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #789 ·
OK, this is how I see adaptive steering.....
Apparently my 2021 Powerboost had it.
And for a while I thought my 2022 might not since I was advised to remove it from my build in order to get the build scheduled. However, it turned out that Ford wasn't scheduling the Platinum/KingRanch trim regardless of the options.

So I have adaptive steering again.

Having said that, I'm not even sure when I'm experiencing it except perhaps at slow speeds in a parking lot and that's the one time I don't object to overassisted steering. But I would absolutely complain if this truck felt overassisted during normal driving. I despise the lack of feedback and the loss of confidence that overassisted steering can exhibit.

I am sure of one thing and that is I spend most of the time with lane-keeping engaged. The very nature of lane centering/keeping requires the steering to be heavily weighted because the truck is steering itself. Initially I wasn't sure about the requirement for me to overpower the trucks own steering, but now I fully embrace it. I'm so used to the extra effort it takes me to override the invisible driver. The sensation is very much like an UNDERassisted power steering system. The truck requires me to use intentional input to deviate from what it thinks the truck should do.

If you want to increase that feeling of a weighted steering, I think you can get your alignment guru to adjust your caster settings and not negatively affect your alignment/wear at all. @GearHead_1 can remind us whether we are requesting more or less caster? It's really a wonderful tweak for those that appreciate the feedback that a steering wheel can provide. :)

It's funny because I'm now so used to the truck that even my much less assisted sports cars initially feel like they are lighter steering than what they should be. After a couple of turns my brain adjusts and all is wonderful again.

·
Moderstrator
4,344 Posts
More Caster will provide more straight-down-the-line tracking with increased steering effort. Most vehicles with power steering will not notice the increased steering effort. This said, almost all new vehicles have offset Caster and Camber specifications. It's a good idea to still allow some offset side to side as specified. The engineers have taken into consideration the road crown, steering axis inclination, and included angle. It isn't like way back when (30 years ago), where you could give a car 1/2 degree of Camber and 2 1/2 degrees Caster, and most cars would run straight down the road.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
478 Posts
Thanks for the report Snake! I knew you'd have a unique and insightful take. So short of a double-blind it's hard to say, but we can say there is no issue with or dislike for the steering with this feature. Now I'm curious about lane keep... only rentals I've had with it I didn't like the ping-ponging and "fighting the car," but maybe I needed more time to acclimate.

Gearhead, appreciate the insight. I will need an alignment soon after I re-do my suspension, so I planned to dive back into what caster adjustments may yield me. May hear from me again on that. ;)

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #792 ·
My 2021 had some ping ponging that was reduced dramatically as I applied the various updates during the year I had it. By the time the IPMA update arrived in around February of this year, the lane centering had greatly improved and the ping ponging was only exhibited when it was activated and the truck was favoring one side or the other at the activation moment. It would quickly "settle" and be a non issue on clearly marked roads without decreasing/increasing radius turns. It's pretty impressive once the IPMA is well calibrated and you start to develop a little trust, which isn't in our nature. Lol

I learned that what I felt was the center of the lane was often quite biased if you looked at the mirrors on each side and compared the margins. I tend to bias in the direction that has more openness regarding vehicles size adjacent to me. The truck, on the other hand is strictly using camera data from the markings on the tarmac. It doesn't think that 18 wheeler is any bigger threat than the corrola on the other side. :)

Still, some roads and conditions are not marked in favor of the camera using its logic. And you learn when to anticipate potential misunderstandings of the logic the truck is bound to. I will never take my hands off the wheel, I don't think. But I now spend the majority of the time with my hands just along for the ride..... literally just resting on the wheel.

It's all fascinating to me. I'm just wired to love the technology and participate as a drive instructor who is letting the student drive, but always positioned to intervene.

The 22 came completely updated and earned more trust quickly because it was a good student day one.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #794 ·
Well I'll be, it turns out that the fellas that have figured out how to add back in the missing ambient lighting that Ford removed from the 2022 (chip shortage/supply chain casualty) were dead on.

What you have to do is order the cup holder assembly by its part number but do NOT provide your VIN. If you are lucky, you receive the 2021 version of the assembly and it has all the missing lighting and harness connectors!

And nobody can explain the low price because it's a fraction of the price of the components. :)

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Office equipment Automotive exterior

Font Parallel Paper Paper product Number

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
The AsBuilt gurus have struck again!

My 2022 is odd in that Ford deleted "Park Assist" and issued the $365 credit on the window sticker. However, the truck was delivered with the 6 front bumper sensors and so it was odd that I didn't get one of the cool features when parking or navigating in tight spots.

If I manually launched the 360 cameras I could see any obstacle in front of the truck and I would receive the associated warning tones for green/yellow/red. But although the hardware was all there for the cameras to auto-launch themselves if they sensed the truck was within a foot or so, mine wouldn't auto-launch.

There's a fella that read my post and pm'd me for my VIN because he was curious about the "one-off" nature of the truck.
I don't think he spent more than 10 minutes and messaged me back with a suggested edit of one line in the IPMA module.

Bingo! Camera's launch in concert with any proximity tone alert generated by the front sensors.

Geek power rules again. :)

·
Moderstrator
4,344 Posts
That's great to have friends like that. Good for you. Now you have me thinking, I don't think my Exploder's auto-launch either. I've never used the feature but it is supposed to park itself but I don't remember the camera coming on by itself at the grocery store.

·
Registered
2022 F150 SCREW, Power Boost, 6.5' Box, 4x4, 1645# CC
315 Posts
The AsBuilt gurus have struck again!

My 2022 is odd in that Ford deleted "Park Assist" and issued the $365 credit on the window sticker. However, the truck was delivered with the 6 front bumper sensors and so it was odd that I didn't get one of the cool features when parking or navigating in tight spots.

If I manually launched the 360 cameras I could see any obstacle in front of the truck and I would receive the associated warning tones for green/yellow/red. But although the hardware was all there for the cameras to auto-launch themselves if they sensed the truck was within a foot or so, mine wouldn't auto-launch.

There's a fella that read my post and pm'd me for my VIN because he was curious about the "one-off" nature of the truck.
I don't think he spent more than 10 minutes and messaged me back with a suggested edit of one line in the IPMA module.

Bingo! Camera's launch in concert with any proximity tone alert generated by the front sensors.

Geek power rules again. :)
A lot of the stuff that Ford is stripping out probably doesn't affect me in any event. With my XLT i wasn't going to get them anyway.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #798 ·
A lot of the stuff that Ford is stripping out probably doesn't affect me in any event. With my XLT i wasn't going to get them anyway.
That's true. But with the nature of how these things are built now it's never been easier to retrofit a feature that you discover that you might enjoy if you had it. :)

Some will be rather inexpensive, others might be prohibitive. But it's cool to see the power of the collective figure these things out and share.

Reactions: Boatwaco

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #799 ·
That's great to have friends like that. Good for you. Now you have me thinking, I don't think my Exploder's auto-launch either. I've never used the feature but it is supposed to park itself but I don't remember the camera coming on by itself at the grocery store.
If you are like me you would rarely get close enough to anything to trigger the camera alert?

The folks that like the feature most are the in-garage parkers that need to get right up to the wall in order to fit. The trigger is just a convenience because they don't have to launch the cameras manually.

When I tested last night to see if the AsBuilt edit was successfull, I was just about to declare it not successful because from the cockpit it looked like I was fixing to hit the picnic table. But suddenly the cameras launched and I was still a foot away. Lol

That explains why when I get out of the truck I always discover that I hadn't pulled up nearly as close as I predicted. Now? I'm going to let the gizmos do their job just for the fun of it. :)

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #800 ·
A sweet old gent called "Pawpa" (fitting indeed) served as a Guinea Pig and figured out the part numbers of the ambient lighting harnesses and lights for the lower portion of all 4 doors.

Yet another silent removal from the 2022's because of supply chain issues. This will be the final retrofit to address the negative changes between model years.

I realize it's nothing earthshattering in the grand scheme of things, but it's nice to overcome the obstacles that Ford couldn't as a manufacturer and enjoy the eye candy and convenience at night.

Material property Handwriting Font Electric blue Event

781 - 800 of 842 Posts