F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I need to get under there again and verify which hose/cable goes into it. Some DO.

Not the orange ones. Ford used the orange for all the high voltage power cables. It HELPS too, so you can easily exclude them when you are looking around.

The whole contraption is mounted to some kind of isolation tray from the frame itself.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Edge CS2, Kicker PowerStage
115 Posts
Flux Capacitor

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
According to a thread on another forum (one dedicated to the 2021 generation F150) the non-PowerBoost Ecoboost does NOT have this contraption on it. But nobody has as of yet verified what it exactly is.

Been some guessing.

I guess it's possible that a Powerboost would require some kind of monitoring of the exhaust due to the ICE turning off for various amounts of time and circumstances, but the truck still needing to manage EPA requirements?

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Scan that QR Code printed on it.
I was waiting for someone to tell me to do that. :)

Reactions: EcoXLT

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
The best guess so far (on the other site) is that it is a heat exchanger for warming the battery up in cold temperatures. The battery is indeed "water cooled", so perhaps. And that would explain why it isn't on the regular Ecoboost.

I have a service/repair manual coming. Supposedly 1500 pages. Maybe I will know exactly what this is, and all the other. ???? 's I have poking around under and in the truck

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,447 Posts
Also my question about the black hose. Connected to it ? This has to be some kind of sniffer or maybe something intended to smooth out exhaust flow or reduce pulses ... ???

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Also my question about the black hose. Connected to it ? This has to be some kind of sniffer or maybe something intended to smooth out exhaust flow or reduce pulses ... ???
I'm going to get under there and see if I can get definitive pics of what "connects" to that apparatus. Electrical or coolant or whatever.

You could be right and it's sniffing, but if so, why is it not on the regular Ecoboost exhaust? It's reported not to be anyways.

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Hey @BobsF150, come on over and feel free to post here. Hijacking is completely legal in this thread, if you can't tell yet. Or put another way, I'd be a hypocrite if I even paid attention to such a thing because I'm probably the worst offender. (in my defense, I just type a response to whatever was previously posted in a thread and forget that there are rules about that kind of thing)

Anyways, I have been driving around in the Powerboost the last couple of days and on this new tank of 93 I decided to ignore the participation in fuel economy and just see what the cost in mpg will be if I drive similar to how I naturally would in the most powerful 1/2 ton on the planet. Lol

I'm about 1/2way through the tank and I've kinda been amazed that the drop in fuel mileage that I expected is barely noticeable. Most trips are from 7-25 miles yet by the time I get to my destination the lie-ometer is reporting 21 or 22 mpg. That's not much different than 23-25, which I have been getting all along. In fact, I find it difficult to believe that without towing someone would report mpg's not in the 20's! I mean what are they doing? Because I ain't driving like grandpa.

And I think I can explain why the drop isn't more.

Compared to my 2018, which was tuned most of the time, this truck doesn't call on boost nearly as often and when it does, it is less boost relative to the rate of acceleration. I really need to FILM a typical acceleration from 0-70 mph without even hitting a pound of boost. I don't think the fellas around here would believe it. It's pretty brisk considering it's basically NA+EV-torque.

I'm really looking forward to you getting yours so we can compare notes. :)

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 · (Edited)
Turns out the service manual is 1500 pages, but it definitely has a lot of answers to the questions that come up.

So, first the statement that I read somewhere that the starter is belt driven? Well according to the manual, what Ford calls a generator (alternator) on the 2.7, 3.3, 3.5EB, 3.0 diesel, and 5.0 coyote, is called the "starter-generator" on the Powerboost.

So yea, the alternator IS also the starter! And of course belt drive. From the pictures it definitely looks bulkier than the pictures of the ordinary alternator of the other motors.

I guess it was always possible to turn the motor over from the other end of the crankshaft and without a toothed flywheel.

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 · (Edited)
Lol.
About 3X's that price. And another $50 if you want wiring diagrams.

I FINALLY got official Ford explanation of the variable (2-stage) oil pump. And get this: the low pressure setting is triggered by a 12v from the pcm. No voltage causes a default to high-pressure setting. So...... You thinking what I'm thinking? Lol

Regardless, the good news is that a failed signal actually gets you a default to high pressure. The same strategy Ford used on the analog/mechanical 2-stage oil pump on the Godzilla. :)

·
Moderstrator
3,346 Posts
Snake, I was funin' with you. I was inferring the price of the replacement starter/alternator/generator. I'm betting that piece is steep.

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Lol
I can be a dufus.

I wonder if that thing will EVERY be in Autozone inventory. :)

Warranty warranty warranty
That's currently both my motto and my peace of mind.

·
Moderstrator
3,346 Posts
I'll bet that thing will run $1500. Maybe more.

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Wouldn't surprise me.
But, how much is the current starter on the latest American trucks? And how much is the fanciest alternator? (I say fanciest because depending on features/equipment, there are multiple F150 alternators available for the same motor)

My point being is that combined I bet it's not cheap even on a non hybrid?

Cheap auto components are a thing of the past in a lot of ways. So much rapid development right now. Technology is being poured into our transport devices at an amazing rate.

·
Premium Member
9,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 · (Edited)
I thought it was interesting that purchaseing the manual was based on VIN and as a result the manual is created in respect to the VIN and starts with an Oasis view of the vehicle.

First time I ever heard of LTIS (Low Time In Service) "Power train assembly replacement qualification" ? Lol

And I thought 3.73 gear ratio was reduced to 3:55 a few years back? This truck is 3:73 due to Towing package.

·
Registered
331 Posts
What program are you using for the diagrams? Does it walk you through step by step for replacement as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 163 Posts