F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
What program are you using for the diagrams? Does it walk you through step by step for replacement as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will PM you just in case there's something I ain't supposed to say?

But in essence, you provide your VIN and pay. Then 24-48 hours later the manual is provided for download. For me it was about 26 hours. It's very clean and leverages many of the features that the pdf format can provide. Really beautiful, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
I will PM you just in case there's something I ain't supposed to say?

But in essence, you provide your VIN and pay. Then 24-48 hours later the manual is provided for download. For me it was about 26 hours. It's very clean and leverages many of the features that the pdf format can provide. Really beautiful, in my opinion.

Thank you, Sir. You are a gentleman and a scholar!

·
Moderstrator
3,346 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me.
But, how much is the current starter on the latest American trucks? And how much is the fanciest alternator? (I say fanciest because depending on features/equipment, there are multiple F150 alternators available for the same motor)

My point being is that combined I bet it's not cheap even on a non-hybrid?

Cheap auto components are a thing of the past in a lot of ways. So much rapid development right now. Technology is being poured into our transport devices at an amazing rate.

Oh, I get that. I'm just saying that the days of going in and plopping down $200 for an aftermarket alternator with a lifetime warranty are over. It's not like you'll be keeping the half that isn't problematic. o_O

I also understand the warranty thing too. I recently purchased the 100,000 miles, 10 year Ford ESP or whatever it's called for my wife's Exploder. First time in my life I've ever done that. First time I've considered keeping a vehicle over 3 years too.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Maybe one day I will purchase new and try out this "warranty" thing :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey @BobsF150, come on over and feel free to post here. Hijacking is completely legal in this thread, if you can't tell yet. Or put another way, I'd be a hypocrite if I even paid attention to such a thing because I'm probably the worst offender. (in my defense, I just type a response to whatever was previously posted in a thread and forget that there are rules about that kind of thing)

Anyways, I have been driving around in the Powerboost the last couple of days and on this new tank of 93 I decided to ignore the participation in fuel economy and just see what the cost in mpg will be if I drive similar to how I naturally would in the most powerful 1/2 ton on the planet. Lol

I'm about 1/2way through the tank and I've kinda been amazed that the drop in fuel mileage that I expected is barely noticeable. Most trips are from 7-25 miles yet by the time I get to my destination the lie-ometer is reporting 21 or 22 mpg. That's not much different than 23-25, which I have been getting all along. In fact, I find it difficult to believe that without towing someone would report mpg's not in the 20's! I mean what are they doing? Because I ain't driving like grandpa.

And I think I can explain why the drop isn't more.

Compared to my 2018, which was tuned most of the time, this truck doesn't call on boost nearly as often and when it does, it is less boost relative to the rate of acceleration. I really need to FILM a typical acceleration from 0-70 mph without even hitting a pound of boost. I don't think the fellas around here would believe it. It's pretty brisk considering it's basically NA+EV-torque.

I'm really looking forward to you getting yours so we can compare notes. :)

Hey @BobsF150, come on over and feel free to post here. Hijacking is completely legal in this thread, if you can't tell yet. Or put another way, I'd be a hypocrite if I even paid attention to such a thing because I'm probably the worst offender. (in my defense, I just type a response to whatever was previously posted in a thread and forget that there are rules about that kind of thing)

Anyways, I have been driving around in the Powerboost the last couple of days and on this new tank of 93 I decided to ignore the participation in fuel economy and just see what the cost in mpg will be if I drive similar to how I naturally would in the most powerful 1/2 ton on the planet. Lol

I'm about 1/2way through the tank and I've kinda been amazed that the drop in fuel mileage that I expected is barely noticeable. Most trips are from 7-25 miles yet by the time I get to my destination the lie-ometer is reporting 21 or 22 mpg. That's not much different than 23-25, which I have been getting all along. In fact, I find it difficult to believe that without towing someone would report mpg's not in the 20's! I mean what are they doing? Because I ain't driving like grandpa.

And I think I can explain why the drop isn't more.

Compared to my 2018, which was tuned most of the time, this truck doesn't call on boost nearly as often and when it does, it is less boost relative to the rate of acceleration. I really need to FILM a typical acceleration from 0-70 mph without even hitting a pound of boost. I don't think the fellas around here would believe it. It's pretty brisk considering it's basically NA+EV-torque.

I'm really looking forward to you getting yours so we can compare notes. :)

I just checked the Ford build website.

my F150 Powerboost is on its way to the dealership. Estimated to be delivered next week !!!

Can’t wait

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
I just checked the Ford build website.

my F150 Powerboost is on its way to the dealership. Estimated to be delivered next week !!!

Can’t wait
I can't wait myself!

I'm certain you will be amazed, intimidated, then amazed again, and then worried, and then........... On and on it goes.

The intimidation and worry is just the result of you freaking out about how they can possibly get all these pieces to work together and not misbehave. If a vehicle was an orchestra, and the number of instruments was based on the mechanical/electrical components, this would be the biggest orchestra I have ever seen assembled to play in harmony together.

Bumper to bumper though baby! At least for a few years. Lol

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
I do not even want to fathom how much a loaded out spaceship, ahem, powerboost would cost!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just had our garage doors replaced and they were installed even lower than the originals. I will have about 2” clearance to get my Powerboost into garage. BUT, the antenna will be hitting and rubbing going in and out of garage.

Anyone replace their factory antenna with a shorter one? Which one did you find works well at retaining reception while being shorter?

·
Moderstrator
3,346 Posts
You can simply shorten your factory antenna. I have on every truck I've ever owned. It is easy and looks stock, only shorter. It's kinda silly as I have 9-foot garage doors but I never wait for them to be completely up to go under them.

Here's the way I do it. Find a pair of pliers that has a dimple in them that will easily slide while on the mast but will not clear the ball. Electrical stripper pliers can work here, so will certain hose clamp pliers. Get yourself a towel to catch the ball, turn the antenna upside down and use the pliers to more or less smack the ball off while sliding the pliers up and down the antenna. The ball is drilled, press-fit, and will come off the end of the mast.

Shorten the mast to your liking. Be careful here as the wire that is wrapped around the mast can unravel. A Dremel-type tool is a good tool to make quick work of this without unraveling the wire. You can use the Dremel to put a small bevel on the end of the mast once again being very careful to not unravel the wire. This will make the ball easier to start. Then it's just a matter of tapping the ball back on. I use a little epoxy here, it will help hold the wire in place. Should you damage the finish a little Testers model paint in semi-gloss black will make it look like new.

Anyway, that's probably more than you really wanted to know.

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
...... but I never wait for them to be completely up to go under them.
You really like to live on the edge.

So..... Any scars on the wall of the garage from late braking?

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
@snakebitten a side project I started is adding solar to my enclosed utility for "powerless" sites where...power is needed. So (not that I desire to go into debt like that) pondering the overall output of the powerboost as opposed to demand, have you had issues of any sort getting what you required from it?

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 · (Edited)
It all depends on how many air conditioners you plan to have.
RV life (especially full-time & in the tropics) is almost all about air conditioners, as far as electricity needs go.

When you pass by one, look at the roof. If it has one AC, it VERY likely to be a 30Amp RV
If it has 2 AC's it is absolutely a 50Amp RV
If it has 3 AC's it is still a 50Amp RV but has a circuit board that will protect against 2 AC's ever starting simultaneously, so you aren't throwing breakers. (RV forum threads are littered with issues running 3 AC's)

So based on that, the Powerboost 7.2KW configuration is PERFECT for the 30Amp RV because it is setup as 2 30Amp banks (3600watts each) You literally can run 2 30Amp RV's and they already have some cool stuff available for plugging into the 240V 30Amp outlet on the Powerboost and splitting it into 2 30Amp RV receptacles.

Basically Powerboost + RV = Boondocking heaven! And did I mention it's SILENT! Quietest generator ever.

·
Premium Member
2015 Lariat 4WD
771 Posts
Geez. Stop it already. I am experiencing some effects I am not accustomed to :ROFLMAO: :love:

The thought literally crossed my mind a moment ago...once I get this 15 fixed, what would a dealer give me for it in trade for a PB

You are such a bad influence Mr. Nelson!

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can simply shorten your factory antenna. I have on every truck I've ever owned. It is easy and looks stock, only shorter. It's kinda silly as I have 9-foot garage doors but I never wait for them to be completely up to go under them.

Here's the way I do it. Find a pair of pliers that has a dimple in them that will easily slide while on the mast but will not clear the ball. Electrical stripper pliers can work here, so will certain hose clamp pliers. Get yourself a towel to catch the ball, turn the antenna upside down and use the pliers to more or less smack the ball off while sliding the pliers up and down the antenna. The ball is drilled, press-fit, and will come off the end of the mast.

Shorten the mast to your liking. Be careful here as the wire that is wrapped around the mast can unravel. A Dremel-type tool is a good tool to make quick work of this without unraveling the wire. You can use the Dremel to put a small bevel on the end of the mast once again being very careful to not unravel the wire. This will make the ball easier to start. Then it's just a matter of tapping the ball back on. I use a little epoxy here, it will help hold the wire in place. Should you damage the finish a little Testers model paint in semi-gloss black will make it look like new.

Anyway, that's probably more than you really wanted to know.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will be giving that a try when I get my F150

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
Geez. Stop it already. I am experiencing some effects I am not accustomed to :love:

The thought literally crossed my mind a moment ago...once I get this 15 fixed, what would a dealer give me for it in trade for a PB

You are such a bad influence Mr. Nelson!
Oh heck no!

Just wait. At some point soon a corporate or govt lease will be up on an XL Powerboost that has been maintained perfectly and be low mileage and...... Depreciated.

Then you have both weapons.

You won't believe how well equipped a 2021 XL is
It's nothing like the past. Ford way upped their trims.

·
Vendor
7,705 Posts
Not counting the tailgate placard, because that's a Platinum norm, but yes that mirror cap and fender badge are just TOO MUCH in one area. Like 2 GLOBS of shiny. It's like having a Harley Davidson sidecase cover glued to the side of the truck.

@snakebitten great thread Unc! Love it and love that you love it. Wait till you see what I have and what is inside. Mind if I post when I get back from a trip to NC?

·
Vendor
7,705 Posts
So I decide today is a good day to throw the truck on the lift the first time and get a look underneath with my fingers crossed that I can swap out the exhaust for my BARELY used Full Race resonated and ceramic coated exhaust. It's such a beautiful piece of work along with a coating that has it still looking basically unused. (other than some dirt)

In fact it looks newer than the exhaust ON the 2021 with only 2500 miles on it. Lol

Anyways, up she goes. Only high enough to roll around in an office chair without ducking. (I'm old and it's awesome to just sit against the back rest under a vehicle)

Adding/editing pictures now.....

View attachment 173314

So I get my first glance and IMMEDIATELY see a WTHIT (what the heck is that)

View attachment 173315

View attachment 173316

Somebody is going to get a good deal on a lightly used FR exhaust, it appears.

This is screaming in my head “DELETE!” and I have no idea if you can. Just looks like it needs to be

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
@snakebitten great thread Unc! Love it and love that you love it. Wait till you see what I have and what is inside. Mind if I post when I get back from a trip to NC?

You post anytime anything. You know that. Even vacation pics or little league or.... Well you get the idea. :)

Reactions: RMB_Ryan

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
This is screaming in my head “DELETE!” and I have no idea if you can. Just looks like it needs to be

Lol. I bet it does in your head. And any typical hotrodder.
If it is JUST coolant lines, that would be one thing. Especially in the tropics. I'm pretty sure I won't have a frozen battery. But if it's got pcm wiring, I ain't touching it. Ford will claim that I monkeyed.......

So, if/when you read this, would like to get your opinion on :

2018-2020 Ford published HP/TQ numbers SUPPOSEDLY on regular (87) fuel for non Raptor, but for Raptor they definitely put in print "tested on Premium Fuel 93 octane"

If you log into Fords website, they STILL are doing the same with the Powerboost & non-HO Ecoboost, and STILL stating in ** for the Raptor as Premium Fuel 93 octane.

Having said all that, 2 different auto journalist articles have verified that the Raptor loses .5 seconds 0-60 and the same in the 1/4 mile times when running on 87 octane. Further supporting the claim that some percentage of the published official power differences IS IN FACT Ford intentionally sandbagging for obvious reasons. The HO needs to be the "HO"

Now to my question..... Lol

The Powerboost is published as having 20 less HP, but 60 MORE lbs of Torque than the HO. And I'm here to tell you that not only does it have that torque, but you experience it as the electric torque that it is! And then on top of that, if you are running 93 in the Powerboost, I'd argue that the electric motor's 50HP more than makes up for the 20HP so-called shortfall.

What I'm really just saying is that if you lay the wood to this thing you can't help but look at the rear view mirror at yourself and ask What The Heck? Is that for real?

This truck scoots. And I'm not saying HP scoot, I'm saying torque scoot. It SHOOTS out of the hole. I swear it has more yank than my tuned 18. For sure it does on the bottom.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts