F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
881 - 900 of 1,145 Posts
Discussion starter · #881 ·
Saweeeet!
A big fat 7gigabyte update for the APIM

Rumors are this is the ballyhoo'd Sync4 12" screen update for Android Auto & Carplay allowing user scaling for screen real estate.

If so, I will be bragging shortly this evening. šŸ¤£

Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Screenshot

Saweeeet!
A big fat 7gigabyte update for the APIM

Rumors are this is the ballyhoo'd Sync4 12" screen update for Android Auto & Carplay allowing user scaling for screen real estate.

If so, I will be bragging shortly this evening. šŸ¤£

View attachment 182277
That seems like a very large file size for an update. Sounds like it might be a sweet one though.

Reactions: Boatwaco
Discussion starter · #883 ·
I feel a little silly looking forward to such things. Lol

It's so liberating to be able to do things without talking to a service writer or dealing with the dealership shenanigans. :)

Discussion starter · #884 ·
I was just informed that this update brings the "unreal engine" into the Sync System.
That's video game technology that has been adopted by lots of things outside the video game industry in order to render 3D graphics in splendor.

It's also referenced in the recent reveal of the new Mustang.

No wonder it's gigs?

Discussion starter · #887 ·
Honestly I don't know. It's one of those updates that involves a USB stick when using FDRS. I suppose it's possible that the files could be downloaded to the Gateway Module OTA, but it's pretty hefty for a cellular download and would require the truck to be woken up for a good amount of time.
If Ford ever does figure out how to leverage a Wi-Fi connection, then the time constraint would be a fraction of the time.

FDRS actually instructs you to start the truck for the install portion of the update, and then requires one on/off cycle to complete the process. If it's possible for the files to be stored on the Gateway module via OTA, then the install could be triggered when the truck owner is using the truck. Once they get where they're going, the next time they start the truck the upgrade would be completed.

There's a lot of ifs in that scenario. But they are all possible if Ford can just figure out a way to notify the truck owner via FordPass and inform them the update is available and that if the customer wants to install it they simply need to participate and follow the directions.

Discussion starter · #888 ·
Could post this in the "What made your day" thread..... (but bragging on the Gen14 trucks is so hard not to do so if I keep it here as much as possible at least it's avoidable by those that don't want to hear it :))

Anyways, Ford finally updated the Alexa FordPass skill to include the Gen14 trucks!
So while putting on my boots in the morning I can just say outloud in the RV "Alexa, tell FordPass to start my truck" šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

She's hilarious. She replies "OK, I'd be happy to. Can you say your pin for me first?"

I do, and she does. It's so cool!

Font Screenshot Technology Multimedia Electric blue

Discussion starter · #889 ·
Getting closer to replacing my beloved Ngauge for monitoring the truck.
Finally found a phone mount that won't mar the truck, yet is completely stable. In a good field of view but doesn't block the infrared camera looking at my eyes during Bluecruise. (ProClip)

Speedometer Vehicle Gear shift Trip computer Car

Discussion starter · #890 ·
The latest APIM update for the 2022 had the fresh new splash screen for the 2023 SuperDuty imbedded in it. Of course a laptop and a couple of seconds is all it takes to cheat a little. :)

The snapshot doesn't do it justice. It's a sweet looking animated 3D graphic. I wonder if it's using that Unreal Engine to render it?

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

You know that little yellow and white tag on the glove box can be removed, right? Penalties for removing it are much, much less than tearing the tag off a mattress. ;)

You know that little yellow and white tag on the glove box can be removed, right? Penalties for removing it are much, much less than tearing the tag off a mattress. ;)
He's probably still got the plastic carpet covers on under his fancy floor mats šŸ˜†

• Haha
Reactions: snakebitten
Discussion starter · #893 ·
I traded the 2021 Platinum Powerboost in 2 weeks short of having it 1 year.

You know that the tag had a subliminal influence for a few precious seconds when the value equation was being determined and the gentleman charged with that value decision opened the passenger side door and saw

Vehicle Car Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design

I can't prove it of course, but I got my suspicions
(wow, this guy has barely used this truck?)

Last night I got a taste of how much power and speed these Power Boosts actually have. The set up. At the stop light there is a left turn lane. Then a through lane to the 2 lane road . On the right is a lane nominally for folks who are turning right into the apartment complex.If a person in that lane doesn't turn right into the apartment complex, they must immediately merge into the through lane.

Sometimes people will move into that right lane in order to get across the intersection first. Last night I was tired of that, so I decided when the light turned green, he was not going to get in front of me. Green light, and I was gone. Almost scared me how powerful and fast the truck was clearing the intersection, and it wasn't a full WOT.

Again, I'm shocked at the untuned speed and power these PB's have. I've never had a vehicle of any kind like it.

Discussion starter · #895 ·
I'm about to post about it, but it appears that there's an explanation why on some occasions the Powerboost scoots harder out of the hole than others. And the Hybrid battery SOC looks like the perpetrator. šŸ¤£
I'm basing that on monitoring the amount of Amps that are being drawn from the HV battery upon acceleration.
Or put another way, 30Amp at ~300V will push this big fat brick down the road at 50mph. (The ICE is off)
There are moments where the 3.5 Ecoboost, which is no slouch to begin with, responds to the torque request made by your right foot and then the pcm tells the HV battery to go ahead and throw in a 60 or 70Amp jolt to the party!

It's not always there for you. Depends on the SOC.
It's like a little potential ~100ftlbs squirt of go-juice. But might be 50, or 25 next time. Just depends.

My older brother thinks I've lost my mind. He said he has never seen anyone sit in their truck all night looking at computers. I told him it's worse than that. Just because I'm not sitting in it doesn't mean I'm not still looking at the truck with a computer. Lol (Bluetooth OBD)
This truck has spent untold hours parked near the RV door, if you know what I mean.

@snakebitten - I appreciate your fascination to learning as much as you can and truly appreciate you sharing that with us.

Reactions: snakebitten
PS. Tell your older brother that its better than playing video games all night!

Reactions: rjschatts
Discussion starter · #898 ·
@snakebitten - I appreciate your fascination to learning as much as you can and truly appreciate you sharing that with us.
Well I appreciate YOU spending the time to........ listen to an old man ramble. :)
I figure someday these trucks will be yesteryear trucks and the future new members will be searching for information about their "New to them 2021....."

This forum is a goldmine for anyone with a Gen1 and Gen2 or 2.7

I'm about to post about it, but it appears that there's an explanation why on some occasions the Powerboost scoots harder out of the hole than others. And the Hybrid battery SOC looks like the perpetrator. šŸ¤£
I'm basing that on monitoring the amount of Amps that are being drawn from the HV battery upon acceleration.
Or put another way, 30Amp at ~300V will push this big fat brick down the road at 50mph. (The ICE is off)
There are moments where the 3.5 Ecoboost, which is no slouch to begin with, responds to the torque request made by your right foot and then the pcm tells the HV battery to go ahead and throw in a 60 or 70Amp jolt to the party!

It's not always there for you. Depends on the SOC.
It's like a little potential ~100ftlbs squirt of go-juice. But might be 50, or 25 next time. Just depends.

My older brother thinks I've lost my mind. He said he has never seen anyone sit in their truck all night looking at computers. I told him it's worse than that. Just because I'm not sitting in it doesn't mean I'm not still looking at the truck with a computer. Lol (Bluetooth OBD)
This truck has spent untold hours parked near the RV door, if you know what I mean.
At least it keeps you out of trouble, mostly, anyway.

881 - 900 of 1,145 Posts