1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a New 2013 (left over) Super Crew Cab EB F150

25+/- times a year I pull my car trailer with either my Gmc Syclone or
My 94 Mustang (Wanna Be Race Car) Under 6,000lbs Total. 50 miles to
Cecil County DragWay or to 150 miles to OCMD or Carlisle Pa each way.

My question is, would I need the Max Tow Package with 3.73s and the
upgraded Radiator, or will 3.31s n Normal Tow Package be ok for me?

I will prolly (75% chance) have 35s on my truck before I hit 5000 miles..

Thanx,
Rob

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I would just go with max tow, especially because you are considering upsizing tires.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
From what's been said 33's are the max on 3.31 gears. Too much wear and year on drive train above that. Some guys have 35's with 3.55 gears. I'd go with the 3.73's. My truck is on stock tires with 3.31's and I don't get any better mileage than others with lower gearing.

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I do want 3.73s.

My question is do I need upgraded radiator and other things that are included
in the max tow package or can I get away with factory tow package and 3.73s.

(3.73s + 35s = 3.41s)

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I tow a lot. In my busy season, usually a couple times a week if not more. So I went with max tow. You might get away with the regular tow, but it's better to be safe than sorry. But you are the one paying for the truck so it's up to you.

Boost safe Boost hard eH

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tow a 31ft TT that weighs in at ~ 7000K loaded with my 2013 SCREW and 3.31 gearing. I have had no problems towing, and the truck makes more than enough power when pulling a 5% grade. I am not saying the 3.73s won't be a different experience, but the 3.31s do just fine.

QUOTE=Rob Pod;54851]I'm looking at buying a New 2013 (left over) Super Crew Cab EB F150

25+/- times a year I pull my car trailer with either my Gmc Syclone or
My 94 Mustang (Wanna Be Race Car) Under 6,000lbs Total. 50 miles to
Cecil County DragWay or to 150 miles to OCMD or Carlisle Pa each way.

My question is, would I need the Max Tow Package with 3.73s and the
upgraded Radiator, or will 3.31s n Normal Tow Package be ok for me?

I will prolly (75% chance) have 35s on my truck before I hit 5000 miles..

Thanx,
Rob[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I would probably get the max tow since you do pull what i would say is fairly regularly. its also good peace of mind to have the upgraded bits, and will probably help resale in the future. little bit spent today to save a lot tomorrow..

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have max tow ( fx4 ) and mine pulls very good. I have 285/65/18's nitto terra grapplers,

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
3.55 or 3.73 will be fine. I wouldn't do 3.31 if you want to upgrade the tires. I wouldn't think the upgraded cooling is necessary for such short distances.

Reactions: Raiderfan1890

·
Registered
8 Posts
The max tow will give you higher payload which is very desirable when towing. I also love the tow mirrors. When I started shopping for my f150 ecoboost I didn't want the tow mirrors, now I love them.
I was shopping used and wasn't even lookin for a max tow, it just happened to be included with the truck I bought. I'll be purchasing my travel trailer this week, the reason I bought the truck Turns out I would have been over my payload without MaxTow and I will still have to watch what I pack with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts