F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever heard of Preaux? There’s a handful of 2018+ 3.5 Ecoboost owners using them and running 11.8 1/4 miles with e50 and stock turbos.

There’s also a dude with a 2018 2.7 using them too I’ve seen on YouTube.

My question is, what’s their tuning style like? Are they doing things unsafely? I’d love to look at some logs from those tunes.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres a guy on instagram that lives in the same city as me and his truck (3.5 with a lot of mods) ran a 12.97 on a 87 tune from them. I think it's safe to say they run pretty close to the edge in terms of performance vs reliability
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too. I mean he’s having 3.5s doing 11.8 on e50. That’s pretty intense.

·
Premium Member
5,107 Posts
I’ve seen a couple of local trucks tuned by them. He is willing to push them pretty hard, so I would be Cautious personally.

The Gen 1 3.5 he tuned ended up lifting a head after a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve seen a couple of local trucks tuned by them. He is willing to push them pretty hard, so I would be Cautious personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah…. That’s why I was skeptical

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
615 Posts
Is there a "safe" boost level for the Gen 1s to avoid lifting the heads (I'm assuming the issue is simply too much boost)?
Or, are there any early warning signs to watch for?

I'm peaking at 19 and holding around 16 now, but I'd previously run tunes that would peak at 21.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a "safe" boost level for the Gen 1s to avoid lifting the heads (I'm assuming the issue is simply too much boost)?

I'm peaking at 19 and holding around 16 now, but I'd previously run tunes that would peak at 21.
I wonder at what boost I blow my head gasket at. I never see more than 21 spike, and 18 or 19 sustained

·
Premium Member
5,107 Posts

In this case, he was seeing spikes of 25-26psi with the BW Upgraded turbo's (AKA "GT" Turbos). It was probably caused by repeated spikes and eventually blowing out a head gasket.

Really, it's about managing cylinder pressure and that can be elevated by excessive boost, airflow or timing. The tuner needs to control the torque and cylinder pressure, especially in the bottom half of the RPM range to help mitigate risk.

PSI is kind of relative, depending on the size of the turbos and other factors, you can flow 30#'s/min at 18psi or 70#'s/min at 18psi.

·
Registered
2015 Ford F-150 Lariat Screw 5.5' | 3.5 Eco | 4x4 3.55 Max Tow | 33's, Tuned by BoostKing
615 Posts
Appreciate that. I was thinking after my post it’s likely more related to #/min and rpm than simply boost. Makes sense.

This is comforting. I’m not working with someone known to skirt the nannies.

·
Premium Member
5,107 Posts
The Gen1 has 11mm head studs, it’s quite hard to blow a head gasket. The fact he has lifted heads is incredibly impressive, lol. Sounds like a mixture of too much airflow, detonation, running out of fuel, and/or high EGTs.

You’d have to move SO many tables out of the way to reach that point.
You would think so, but I know of quite a few between Gen1 and Gen2's where they have lifted a head and/or blown a gasket. Linked to 2 specific tuners, neither that I will recommend personally.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Gen1 has 11mm head studs, it’s quite hard to blow a head gasket. The fact he has lifted heads is incredibly impressive, lol. Sounds like a mixture of too much airflow, detonation, running out of fuel, and/or high EGTs.

You’d have to move SO many tables out of the way to reach that point.
Yeah, he must have been maxing out those turbos

·
Premium Member
2017 F150 XL 2WD 2.7, with some extra stuff!
1,940 Posts
Don't forget that spark advance has a lot to do with cylinder pressures. It can severely affect non boosted as well. KM

·
Premium Member
5,107 Posts
Don't forget that spark advance has a lot to do with cylinder pressures. It can severely affect non boosted as well. KM
Yup, that's why I mention it above. Folks don't often think of increased timing (Advance), increasing combustion pressures or requiring more fuel to support the additional power from the timing.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
There is even a table in the tune specifically to limit spark advance based on air load specifically to limit cylinder pressure. In fact, its called the Cylinder Pressure Limit in HPTuners :ROFLMAO:

So even if you have a high enough octane in the tank, eventually your stock tune truck will stumble into that table. Mine was doing it in the winter on 94. WOT pulls and my spark source would peg on cyl pressure limit.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
Also, Cylinder pressure and torque are directly related. You have so much pressure pushing down on so much surface area of the piston and you get so much force pushing the crankshaft. So yeah, I would agree it has to do with the low end torque spikes without any timing limiters jumping in.

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, Cylinder pressure and torque are directly related. You have so much pressure pushing down on so much surface area of the piston and you get so much force pushing the crankshaft. So yeah, I would agree it has to do with the low end torque spikes without any timing limiters jumping in.
Torrie has my low end torque kinda nuked, and I’m ok with that.

Reactions: Blown F-150

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Theres a guy on instagram that lives in the same city as me and his truck (3.5 with a lot of mods) ran a 12.97 on a 87 tune from them. I think it's safe to say they run pretty close to the edge in terms of performance vs reliability
Just heard of a couple trucks from them do their SSI Impersonation, be careful At least I have seen a couple post on other platforms and so forth

Sounds too familiar, SSI had some fast trucks, 87 octane even, and we know how that went...

Like most have said.....fine line with fairly safe and quick,,,,,, I am leaning to the fairly safe, quick tune, not a borderline safe, faster tune...

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
How fast can I be on 85 octane? Thats really what I wanna know.

• Haha
Reactions: boostkingMatt
1 - 20 of 25 Posts