F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So two part question I guess
1) If I want to tow 4000lbs or so, should I inflate these Primacy XC's to 44psi (max PSI on the side of the tire)

2) If I were to replace these 18" Primacy XC's with a LT tire -- any recommendations?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yes, and...
That depends. The P-rated tires included are sufficient to take your truck to the GVWR and GAWRs listed on the sticker. How much are you towing? How frequently? LT tires are substantially heavier (reducing fuel mileage) and rougher (increasing harshness). If you're towing a few K once or twice a month, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're planning to tow 10K on a daily basis, then it's a worthwhile upgrade.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
I just bought tires. I tow, but only occasionally. The original tires are load rated to more than the truck is, are cheaper than LT, lighter than LT. I decided to stick with P rated tires.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, and...
That depends. The P-rated tires included are sufficient to take your truck to the GVWR and GAWRs listed on the sticker. How much are you towing? How frequently? LT tires are substantially heavier (reducing fuel mileage) and rougher (increasing harshness). If you're towing a few K once or twice a month, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're planning to tow 10K on a daily basis, then it's a worthwhile upgrade.
Cool -- this is about what I was thinking. I tow around 4000lbs (max) 4 times a year and that is just about it. I've driving a number of F150's with LT tires and didn't mind the experience.

I just figured if my Primacy XC's were up to the task, no reason to spend the $$ on tires any sooner than replacement time.

I "might" tow 7200lbs or so on a very rare occasion, but I seriously doubt it.

I have a 2.7L w/ the 3.55 gears - so my max tow capacity is 7600lbs anyway.

·
Administrator
10,623 Posts
P rated tires are up to that task if you want. No doubt xl or e rated would feel more stable, but for me it's a fair trade.

Baaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Primary XC? Is this like a Chinese branded tire? Never heard of them?

·
Premium Member
547 Posts

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Ah okay looked it up basically a high way tire.

Increasing the pressure to 44 doesn't do anything other than cause a rougher ride and help support the sidewall more.

Which isn't a bad thing. Try it and see if you like it.

I run 46 up front 42 rear all the Time in my bfg k02s.

It's a stiffer ride but I like the truck ride and don't want a car ride... (my car rides 10x rougher)...

But airing up for the few times a year you tow 4k isn't a bad thing.

Don't buy new tires til those ones are dead it's a waste of $.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts