F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2015 F150 Lariat Screw 3.5
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Idk man. I've been through 2 throttle bodies and neither of them were like this. When they went out, or were going out, it was scary because it would happen anywhere....highway at 65, pulling out in an intersection, trying to leave my driveway. I could barely limp the truck to the dealership let alone make it 45 minutes away from my apartment and 30 minutes back out off on trail to this hill climb area.

But it does seem like when this triggers the pcm completely ignores pedal input for the TPS.

·
Registered
2015 3.5L SCREW FX4 Lariat
2 Posts
I’ve had to replace a throttle body and reading your post made me think of it. I hope you figure out what’s going on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I have a 2015 F150 screw with the 3.5. 6" lift on 37s with under body armor and rock sliders welded to the frame.

I routinely take my truck through trails and into environments that FoMoCo probably never intended this truck to go to and be put through.

Here is the really weird issue that maybe one of you have experienced or know of.

I will be in either 4H or 4L, and chewing my way over an obstacle, whether that's a group of rocks, a rock ledge, or in todays case extremely deep sand on an incline. I was in M2 with the locker engaged, and was steadily chewing through the sand and climbing up a very soft section of a hill climb out at the dunes here in Vegas, and out of the blue the truck just stops cold turkey. No wrench light, no pop up info box saying check this or that, no chime, no CeL, nada. I could press the accelerator to the floor and the motor will not come off idle. I literally have to switch back to N, rotate selector switch to 2H, shift to P, then back to N and back to 4H or 4L to get throttle response back. This has happened to me several times before in the past and its always the same solution, and "almost" always the same scenario that causes this issue. High wheel speed, low vehicle speed (I:E; clawing up a rock ledge, scrabbling up a gravely hill climb, chewing through soft sand) seems to make my truck go into some sort of protect mode. I am tuned by MPT on the 91 PR-X so Idk if this is a torque management issue or not, but shortly after my truck did this, my friends 2020 2.7 powered screw F150 attempted the same hill and despite him running 35s and being stuck in my ruts I made, he was under full throttle significantly longer than me and now once did his truck ever go into a protect mode. Our other buddy has a 18 screw 5.0 F150 and his truck was cutting power on him, but nothing like my scenario, and he is not tuned at all.

I have no ideas other than perhaps torque management? Nothing I can think of to google this issue comes up with any viable situations and solutions that others may have found or experienced. I've even called dealerships and talked to techs, parts guys, shop leads, master techs, and not one of them have any idea wtf is going on. I've never experienced anything like this in my 14 Fx4. I was stuck in a mud hole in that thing and had the throttle pegged to the limiter with the 5.0 in it, and never once did it go into any sort of "protect" mode.

Strangest thing, again, is the absence of any pop up warning box, or code, or any chime of any sort that would alert you to an issue.

Is my possessed?
When you do all the switching to get it back your leaving it running the whole time? And it doesn't actually shut off when this happens just no throttle response?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
If you are tuned then use your tune device to monitor your air flow limit source, throttle angle source and torque source while you do this.

That may tell you what its doing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey all, sorry to somewhat necro my old thread but I finally had a chance to go test out other scenarios.

MPT tune still does it. Even after they revised me to version 3 (was still on 1), it still kills all throttle input when this crap triggers.

Threw on a set of 5Star tunes, same thing. For both 87 and 91 octane versions.

Returned to stock file, same thing, same spot on the same hill.

MPT wanted me to datalog, but I told them they need to give me something to even look for as there are so many PiDs to choose from to even look for, to which they agreed and were going to brainstorm as to what to datalog for. Friend has a decked out TRD Tundra and said the tundra guys that experience something similar have to shim the back end of the off road sensor to make the truck stop thinking the truck is flipping over for what ever reason. Not sure if that applies here, but it is interesting.

Absolutely mind boggling as it happens so randomly but seemingly so often. Like, the usual culprit like long sandy hill climbs are 50/50 either it triggers or it doesn't, or scrabbling up rock ledges it's a goose chase, like maybe 2 out of 10 tries it triggers. Never a single pop up box, a warning chime, a wrench light, nothing, almost wonder if I should buy and install a pedal commander...

I hate with all of my being not being in control of my vehicle. This is driving me insane because I tell the truck to drive up a hill that it is completely capable of doing, watching other F150's do it with out triggering this ridiculous what the hell ever it is, and yet when I attempt it, I put the pedal down and the computer decides "nah fam...I don't think so"...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
When you do all the switching to get it back your leaving it running the whole time? And it doesn't actually shut off when this happens just no throttle response?
Never shuts off, it literally just sits there with absolutely ZERO throttle response from the pedal. You can mash it to the floor and it never leaves idle. I've backed down hills when this happens and on level ground it barely has enough throttle response to even drive forward without switching to N for a bit or having to do what I said before.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey all, sorry to somewhat necro my old thread but I finally had a chance to go test out other scenarios.

MPT tune still does it. Even after they revised me to version 3 (was still on 1), it still kills all throttle input when this crap triggers.

Threw on a set of 5Star tunes, same thing. For both 87 and 91 octane versions.

Returned to stock file, same thing, same spot on the same hill.

MPT wanted me to datalog, but I told them they need to give me something to even look for as there are so many PiDs to choose from to even look for, to which they agreed and were going to brainstorm as to what to datalog for. Friend has a decked out TRD Tundra and said the tundra guys that experience something similar have to shim the back end of the off road sensor to make the truck stop thinking the truck is flipping over for what ever reason. Not sure if that applies here, but it is interesting.

Absolutely mind boggling as it happens so randomly but seemingly so often. Like, the usual culprit like long sandy hill climbs are 50/50 either it triggers or it doesn't, or scrabbling up rock ledges it's a goose chase, like maybe 2 out of 10 tries it triggers. Never a single pop up box, a warning chime, a wrench light, nothing, almost wonder if I should buy and install a pedal commander...

I hate with all of my being not being in control of my vehicle. This is driving me insane because I tell the truck to drive up a hill that it is completely capable of doing, watching other F150's do it with out triggering this ridiculous what the hell ever it is, and yet when I attempt it, I put the pedal down and the computer decides "nah fam...I don't think so"...
Try pulling the fuse for traction control/abs maybe unless you already have. I know if I want to be able to do whatever I want off road I have to pull it. You can turn it off but it overrides when wheel speed picks up. Never had it completely shut down like that but I'm guessing it has to be some safety override of some sort.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Try pulling the fuse for traction control/abs maybe unless you already have. I know if I want to be able to do whatever I want off road I have to pull it. You can turn it off but it overrides when wheel speed picks up. Never had it completely shut down like that but I'm guessing it has to be some safety override of some sort.
I might have to try that at this rate. Try anything honestly.

I have even called Ford dealerships and talked to techs and shop leads, nobody really has any idea wtf I'm on about. I finally decided to record a video of it happening this evening out at the dunes. 2 2020 F250 Tremors went up this huge sandy hill climb, one dug in deep and never had this crap trigger. My friends Tyler and Chris both have F150s, Tyler has a lifted 16 supercab on 37s and he attacked the hill and got halfway and just dug in and his let him spin to win and throw rooster tails like no other, Chris has a 17 and the same for him, rooster tails and no killing throttle response.

I swear it is like I am quite possibly the only mf'er experiencing this issue. Anywhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I might have to try that at this rate. Try anything honestly.

I have even called Ford dealerships and talked to techs and shop leads, nobody really has any idea wtf I'm on about. I finally decided to record a video of it happening this evening out at the dunes. 2 2020 F250 Tremors went up this huge sandy hill climb, one dug in deep and never had this crap trigger. My friends Tyler and Chris both have F150s, Tyler has a lifted 16 supercab on 37s and he attacked the hill and got halfway and just dug in and his let him spin to win and throw rooster tails like no other, Chris has a 17 and the same for him, rooster tails and no killing throttle response.

I swear it is like I am quite possibly the only mf'er experiencing this issue. Anywhere.
I know if wheel speed gets over 35 mph the traction control kicks in even with it turned off. Just thinking maybe bad programming in that system. Instead of backing power down its just killing it maybe and your having to reset it. Just something to try im sure its probably the same fuse like mine it does both traction control and abs which is kinda crappy you can't just kill one or the other. I'm gonna ask my tuner when I go back soon what he does that I think disables all that stuff from in the cab.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I know if wheel speed gets over 35 mph the traction control kicks in even with it turned off. Just thinking maybe bad programming in that system. Instead of backing power down its just killing it maybe and your having to reset it. Just something to try im sure its probably the same fuse like mine it does both traction control and abs which is kinda crappy you can't just kill one or the other. I'm gonna ask my tuner when I go back soon what he does that I think disables all that stuff from in the cab.
See the weird bit is this crap happens even in 4L which when in Low range all of that stuff is turned off. Pressing traction control in 4L does nothing, holding traction control in 4L does nothing. This has happened in 2H, 4A, 4H, and 4L. It's like once you spin the wheels for a few seconds the truck freaks out and thinks we are currently dying to death so is throws in the graphite tipped control rods on me.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just a couple thoughts.

If it is the ESC cutting things back, you can disable the whole system by creating a fault (i.e. unplugging a wheel speed sensor). Just make sure you don't get dirt or sand into your newly opened circuit if you do this.

Also, will this issue occur With a full tank of fuel? Someone on page 1 mentioned sucking air, i can see this being a possibility although id expect the engine to stall completely. Just trying to cover the bases.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Just a couple thoughts.

If it is the ESC cutting things back, you can disable the whole system by creating a fault (i.e. unplugging a wheel speed sensor). Just make sure you don't get dirt or sand into your newly opened circuit if you do this.

Also, will this issue occur With a full tank of fuel? Someone on page 1 mentioned sucking air, i can see this being a possibility although id expect the engine to stall completely. Just trying to cover the bases.
I've had it happen with a full tank yeah. I suppose I could unplug a wheel speed sensor and give er a go.

MPT put together a config for me to go test so we can even get an idea of whats going on. It's like when this triggers the ECU just plain old ignores the pedal sensor entirely.

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Sounds more and more like the Super Duty stuck throttle nanny with every post.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Had a chance to go do datalogging finally.

MPT asked for a wot 3rd gear pull, on 3.55 gears with 37s that was like...20ish to 118 before I let off. No problems there.

Very first hill I pull up to, and put it in low, sandy gravel type and soft. 1st gear low range locker on, truck takes off strong, starts to climb strong, then the whole truck shakes (like the truck is bouncing around as the wheels are spinning) then like always...dead throttle. Not sure what I'm looking at on the datalog, but you can clearly see the blue line where I completely release and completely press the gas pedal to the floor and the truck does nothing.

Backed down, put it in N, switched to 2h, then P, then back to D and put it in 4h sport mode and slow crawled up the hill with no issues. I can literally rock crawl this thing and drag the underbody and sliders across big ass rocks and ledges and the truck never bats an eyelash. Spin the tires trying to crawl up a sandy hill, or scrabble up a slippery rock ledge and suddenly the truck goes stupid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
If anybody knows what to look for I can probably post the datalog files here. Provided they aren't like...proprietary to MPT's tune or anything and get me in trouble or such.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
If anybody knows what to look for I can probably post the datalog files here. Provided they aren't like...proprietary to MPT's tune or anything and get me in trouble or such.
You have a log of when it went to limp mode? Sure post and i will try to look at it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You have a log of when it went to limp mode? Sure post and i will try to look at it
Did ya ever get a chance to take a peak at the log?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts