F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just trying to figure out what to do with my truck. I have a 2014 Eco that the turbos let go and took out the bottom of the engine. Main bearings gone, timing chain, timing chain guides, and so on. Looks like when the turbos failed the bits and pieces took out the engine. Truck has 85000 miles on it and Ford told me its on me. Has anyone else had this? I'm frustrated mostly because I like this truck. Gas milage has been great, ride is good, its all holding together the way it should and then this.....

We had a 2005 5.4L with the bad motor in it, now this. I'm about ready to give up of the whole company and look at something totally different.

My mechanic is saying I'm looking at a 8k to 12k bill to have this replaced. I understand mechanics and have seen inside the bottom of the engine, its cooked. Seems a little much for a truck that 3 years ago was $55,000. I wanted this thing to run to 200,00 miles before I looked to make it go away.

Anyone out there had this happen, and have a solution?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sorry that happened. Maybe one out of a wrecked one?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I'm on my seventh ford and so far they have all been perfect. All though I have to say the seventh one is only 2 months old but I've got to believe it will be as good as the other 6. All I can say is things happen, stuff break. Sorry it happened. It would be scary to get a used engine but maybe a lot cheaper if it comes with the turbos.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I say cut your losses depending on if it is paid off or not

Reactions: ford4thot

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
I'm no expert, but I have never heard of the turbos letting go, causing the bottom of the engine to blow?

Can you provide more specifics to the situation? As in; What was the driving situation when it happened? Do you have any aftermarket modifications? Are you tuned? If so, who are you tuned with?

Reactions: Brute840

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hi All,

Just trying to figure out what to do with my truck. I have a 2014 Eco that the turbos let go and took out the bottom of the engine. Main bearings gone, timing chain, timing chain guides, and so on. Looks like when the turbos failed the bits and pieces took out the engine. Truck has 85000 miles on it and Ford told me its on me. Has anyone else had this? I'm frustrated mostly because I like this truck. Gas milage has been great, ride is good, its all holding together the way it should and then this.....

We had a 2005 5.4L with the bad motor in it, now this. I'm about ready to give up of the whole company and look at something totally different.

My mechanic is saying I'm looking at a 8k to 12k bill to have this replaced. I understand mechanics and have seen inside the bottom of the engine, its cooked. Seems a little much for a truck that 3 years ago was $55,000. I wanted this thing to run to 200,00 miles before I looked to make it go away.

Make a complaint to the better businesses bureau. You will get some where, that's not normal for that manny miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
If I were in your situation, I would swap in a 5.0 and keep driving. Sounds expensive, but picking up a good used motor, resealing it and installing it would probably be much cheaper. If my motor goes, this is what I am going to do.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Hi All,

The cheapest solution is to buy a used engine on eBaymotors or through another source and install it yourself if you have the time and any mechanical inclination. The most expensive option is to take it to Ford and let them bend you over.

Make a complaint to the better businesses bureau. You will get some where, that's not normal for that manny miles
Seriously? <insert your screen name here> Name any single vehicle manufacturer that has never had an engine fail at 85k miles or sooner and I will sell you my truck for $1. Well, I won't, but I'd still like to see you try.

I'm no expert, but I have never heard of the turbos letting go, causing the bottom of the engine to blow?

Can you provide more specifics to the situation? As in; What was the driving situation when it happened? Do you have any aftermarket modifications? Are you tuned? If so, who are you tuned with?
Remember, the turbos are oil cooled. Any metal bits from a failing turbo could end up in the engine... and vice versa.

If I were in your situation, I would swap in a 5.0 and keep driving. Sounds expensive, but picking up a good used motor, resealing it and installing it would probably be much cheaper. If my motor goes, this is what I am going to do.
Go price up a legit engine swap to replace the EB with a 5.0 and report back to us. I think you'll be quite surprised how the math works out in favor of retaining the engine that the truck was born with.

I'd give RBrown a call. Haha
Scratch my comment above about that being the most expensive option. Unless you have great self control, don't call Ryan. Though he may be a great source for a slightly used engine via his extensive contacts.

·
Administrator
11,164 Posts
Meh. I'd still give RBrown a call. For what it is, his prices aren't that bad.

Those of us using Tapatalk can't see your signature.

·
Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Remember, the turbos are oil cooled. Any metal bits from a failing turbo could end up in the engine... and vice versa.
I understand that and I know it's possible in theory. I was just stating that I have never heard of the turbos being the direct cause for catastrophic failure. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
This thread concerns me. I took mine in for oil change today at my local dealer. As part of their check-over, they found I had a leaking timing cover (gasket, no biggie) and a turbo leaking oil. They are not sure whether they will be required to replace the whole turbo or not. It is all covered under FoMoCo warranty so they are waiting for direction. I have not detected any variance in how the truck runs. 2014 w/ 68,000 miles.

While I was there waiting I drove and talked about a 2016 for kicks and giggles. I do like a lot of the changes made to the new ones, but I'm not sure I agree with the $25k difference. Mine has given good service overall so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts