F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem tuning their truck and taking it in for warranty work? I have an Ecoboost 2013 and am looking at putting a tuner on it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
I haven't seen anyone mention anything about having a tune and taking it in for warranty work yet.

that said, the tune will void your warranty. From my understanding, the tune leaves a footprint every time you reprogram the computer.

·
Vendor
897 Posts
I haven't seen anyone mention anything about having a tune and taking it in for warranty work yet.

that said, the tune will void your warranty. From my understanding, the tune leaves a footprint every time you reprogram the computer.
Correct

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
If you over or under tighten your lug nuts, you lose your warranty!! :(
Unfortunately, you are probably correct. The warranty manual basically says even doing any repair can void your warranty. That can mean, change an air filter.

I wonder what you do in the case of a flat tire? Ford probably wants you to call them.

Reactions: Carlos

·
Registered
394 Posts
I heard some dealers are voiding warranties if they think you farted inside your truck.

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
I heard some dealers are voiding warranties if they think you farted inside your truck.
Well Fock me!
I did that five seconds after I sat in the truck.
It's how I mark my territory. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
An aftermarket item cannot automatically void the warranty, the Magnuson-Moss Act makes sure of that. However, I would suspect Ford could make a good argument that a tune caused engine problems if you had a tune and then had engine problems. Performing your own maintenance, such as oil changes, etc. and not using Ford (or any other manufacturers) parts cannot void your warranty unless the manufacturer can prove you were inept at performing the tasks, or the parts were so inferior that they somehow caused damage and/or failure.

·
Premium Member
2,427 Posts
The problem with a tune is it adjusts all the factory set engine and transmission calibrations. They set the A/F ratio and everything. Ford will manipulate an argument to say the tune did void your warranty because the reprogramming changed "x" where the Ford manufacturers produced "x".

Since the computer controls everything and the tune reprograms the computer, an argument would be made. It would come down to court where ford has the lawyers and money.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
My wife isn't allowed in my truck, so I should be covered there

Reactions: Kc311

·
Registered
75 Posts
The problem with a tune is it adjusts all the factory set engine and transmission calibrations. They set the A/F ratio and everything. Ford will manipulate an argument to say the tune did void your warranty because the reprogramming changed "x" where the Ford manufacturers produced "x".

Since the computer controls everything and the tune reprograms the computer, an argument would be made. It would come down to court where ford has the lawyers and money.
Yep, I would think with a tune they could void it pretty easy... other things like performing your own routine maintenance would be much less likely.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It all depends on the dealer u work with. My Ford dealer is actually tune and program friendly...they even suggested I program it to get the most out of my truck. I asked them about voiding my warranty and they said no as long as it's just a computer plug and play tune through the computer they are safe. They can't tell what tune U used they can only tell that something has accessed the computer...Return to stock before bring in to your dealer and unplug the battery and tell them u had VIP plug in diagnostic hand held and that's all. It'll be hard to prove the tune caused any issues unless u bring it to them tuned. But again it all depends on the dealer ur working with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So would a cat back exhaust void a warrenty?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I heard that if you start the truck by yourself that you void the warranty.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
An aftermarket item cannot automatically void the warranty, the Magnuson-Moss Act makes sure of that. However, I would suspect Ford could make a good argument that a tune caused engine problems if you had a tune and then had engine problems. Performing your own maintenance, such as oil changes, etc. and not using Ford (or any other manufacturers) parts cannot void your warranty unless the manufacturer can prove you were inept at performing the tasks, or the parts were so inferior that they somehow caused damage and/or failure.
You are absolutely correct. In fact, as I recall, the manufacturer is suppose to prove the modification actually caused the problem (i.e. Incorrectly tightening your lug nuts would have absolutely nothing to blowing your engine...but if you lost a wheel and subsequently damaged your suspension, they could have a good case...).

BUT, just like "Big Tobacco" ... Ford has a battery of lawyers on payroll to fight you while we have to mortgage our homes to fight...and while you are fighting, your truck is slowly rusting away somewhere not working.

It is just like the guy who raises you in a game of poker an amount larger than you have in your wallet ... you know you have the winning hand, and he's only willing to accept what your brought.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Im going with the Heartthrob 4" cat back setup and I'll keep my original exhaust

·
Registered
118 Posts
Im going with the Heartthrob 4" cat back setup and I'll keep my original exhaust

1 - 18 of 18 Posts