F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my truck now for a week and am loving it! However, I do have a few questions to ask the forum. I've read all about having to break them in and have been doing my best to do it the right way. Is there a proper way to break them in? I work 6 miles from my house so most of my driving is done around town so I never got to do out on the Hwy with it during the week. Today though I took it on the Hwy and Interstate. I've yet to try really gunning it to see what the turbines can do. the most I've gone so far is almost halfway and then back to cruising once it reached 70. Also how many miles should I go before my first oil change?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I've had my truck now for a week and am loving it! However, I do have a few questions to ask the forum. I've read all about having to break them in and have been doing my best to do it the right way. Is there a proper way to break them in? I work 6 miles from my house so most of my driving is done around town so I never got to do out on the Hwy with it during the week. Today though I took it on the Hwy and Interstate. I've yet to try really gunning it to see what the turbines can do. the most I've gone so far is almost halfway and then back to cruising once it reached 70. Also how many miles should I go before my first oil change?
The truck will tell you re oil change. General rule is don't do any hard driving for a few thousand miles. Manual says no towing first 1k. Your 6 mile city driving mixed with some hwy is perfect for breaking it in. In other words, you don't really need to worry about it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Does a message pop up on the information display when it is due for an oil change?

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Yes and you can scroll through the display on the screen to see oil life left as a %.

Congrats on your truck. I love mine and it doesn't even have all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm old school but, I like to get the factory oil out after about 500 miles. Get some clean oil of your choice that meets Ford specs and a nice newfilter and you are good to go. I still change my oil every 3000 miles. I know most people go longer than that but, Im stuck in my old habits. As far as breaking it in. Lots of different opinions on that too. I take it pretty easy, no long runs at the same RPM, no wide open throtle, run her up and down through the gears gently. Don't make her work too hard for the first 1000 miles and she will treat you right for many years. JMHO

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! This is my first truck so I'm still getting use to the feel of going from a car to a truck. It's going to be interesting learning all the new features of this truck.

·
Registered
943 Posts
A few things that I have learned on this forum.

1. You can play your raido without having the kery turned on. You can also open the door and the radio will contiue to play.

2. If you find a plastic baggie in you glove box or door compartment these parts are a relay & fuse for charging the battery in a trailer you are towing if the towed trailer is equiped with a battery. I/E travel trailer, 5th wheel, etc. Check your owners manual for where the fuse & relay go. It is under trailer towing.

3. If you want to see what gear you are in push the + or - on the gear shift lever and the gear numbers will appear in your dash array. If you want to lock out a gear hit the - button and you lock out as many gears as you want. To unlock the gears simple hit the + button and bring the gears back one at a time.

Seems like there was one more thing but, I can't think of it right now. Good Luck with your new truck.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Thanks for the replies! This is my first truck so I'm still getting use to the feel of going from a car to a truck. It's going to be interesting learning all the new features of this truck.
I'm coming from a 2010 M3, first things I'm getting to tighten it up are light truck tires (over the stock P rated ones), bilstein 5100 shocks, and add-a-leaf in the rear. Body roll be gone!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm coming from a 2010 M3, first things I'm getting to tighten it up are light truck tires (over the stock P rated ones), bilstein 5100 shocks, and add-a-leaf in the rear. Body roll be gone!
I had Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) installed to get rid of body roll. I haven't changed my tires yet but plan to ASAP.

·
Registered
943 Posts
how do you upload a pic for your avatar? Can't seem to figure that out. :banghead
It's been over a year since I did mine. Kepp trying you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Looks like you figured it out.:) Now we need some pictures of that new truck and your signature at the bottom of yur posts with everything you know about your truck.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i agree there on the tire replacement but you kind of lose some ride quality but those factory ones are garabge.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just posted two pics of my tyuck in my album. Think I figured out how to update my settings now.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I just posted two pics of my tyuck in my album. Think I figured out how to update my settings now.
You're catchin on way faster than I did but, you are probably much younger and more computer savy than I.
I see you are from Louisana. Where in LA. We have several folks from LA here.

·
Registered
943 Posts
jazz, It looks like your truck is Sterling Gray. The very best color.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had it now for a week and when I took it out on the interstate today I was getting 16.6 mpg. Should I expect the mpg to get better after it has been broke in? I have 490 mi on it right now

1 - 20 of 49 Posts