F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With Ford's PSD now available in XLT, does that mean it more closely competes with the 2.7L and 3.5L twin turbos on price? Well, in a word, NO. The diesel dilemma does not seem to be improving in the segment or the market as a whole. So it looks to me that a customer could get a PSD in Lariat cheaper than XLT, so what was the point?

Probably in response to GM's new I6 Duramax coming in 2020 MY Silverado and Sierra at an advertised lower starting price point than F150's PSD, Ford is now allowing retail customers to choose a 3.0 PSD in XLT trim. The upcharge for the PSD in XLT trim is $5K ($4K more than the least Ecoboost upcharge), but with PSD option, it also requires changing out the option package to a more expensive truck. Now I could be wrong about this, because prices change often and I'm not sure if what I previously saw included destination charge, but I believe that the starting price for the PSD in Lariat trim was at or about $46,300 upon introduction of that engine in the F150; which was and is far, far more expensive than the cheapest Ecoboosts one can get in an F150. So does the availability in XLT trim for the diesel make it a more valued contender? From what I'm seeing, it's gotten even worse.

F150 with the PSD requires XLT trim, which comes with a minimum SCab configuration, but it also requires swapping 302A for a more expensive option package. That puts the XLT PSD's cheapest available MSRP including destination at or about $46,900.

Now lets compare this to what's available to customers who want a premium engine but goes for an Ecoboost instead of a PSD:

F150 XL 2.7L Ecoboost, standard cab, standard bed, bare bones is $30,745 after destination. - $16,145
(comparing minimum-priced Ecoboost to minimum-priced PSD F150)
F150 XL 2.7L Ecoboost,SCab, bare bones is $34,725 -$12,175
(comparing minimum-priced Ecoboost equal configuration to minimum priced PSD)

F150 XLT 2.7L Ecoboost, XLT, standard package is $39,555 -$7,345
(comparing minimum-priced Ecoboost, equal configuration, equal trim to minimum-priced PSD)

F150 XL 3.5L Ecoboost, standard cab, long bed, bare bones is $32,645 -$14,255
(comparing minimum-priced, most capable power train to minimum-priced PSD)
F150 XL 3.5L Ecoboost, SCab is $36,325 -$10,575
(comparing minimum-priced, most capable power train with equal configuration to minimum-priced PSD)
F150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost SCab is$41,155 -$5,745
(comparing minimum-priced, most capable power train with equal configuration and equal trim to minimum priced)

In review, the least expensive Ecoboost-powered F150 is listed at sixteen grand less than the cheapest Power Stroke Diesel, and even when considering the larger Ecoboost, 3.5L with equal trim level and equal configuration, the Ecoboost is still almost six grand cheaper.

And as for the new GM I6 Duramax, the media is reporting that it will be less than $43K including destination, but I think the media is making an assumption that their diesel will be available in LT trim without any forced options becoming standard. However, if GM's history is any indication of what they'll offer in a Duramax optioned choice, considering that the Colorado and Canyon requires a bunch of towing and active safety features standard above and beyond LT trim and no choice of a extra cab in order to get the diesel even on a cast-iron block and I4 architecture with solenoid injectors; there is still a minimum difference of $14K spread between their cheapest gas-powered mid-sized truck versus their cheapest diesel truck. I'd say, it'll be more like $45K minimum or at or about a $15K spread for Silverado and Sierra. And if they actually do offer their new Duramax I6 at $43K, then it'll be a sudden change of strategy wherein GM suddenly becomes less greedy and is actually trying to effect the market. I'll believe it when I see it! But even at $43K, it will still be more than a $12K difference from the cheapest Silverado.

Something even more amazing to me is that a Ford customer, unlike any other brand customer, can get the company's top power train in a regular cab, long bed, 2WD XL, highly capable for work, for less than $33K. Who else comes even close to giving customers what they might want? No one!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I looked up the cheapest Lariat with the PSD. It has evidently gone up in price, and is now $47,940. So it's $1,040 more than XLT PSD starting price and $4K more than the 2.7L Ecoboost, which is standard at that trim level.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Good stuff. (the read that is. Not the silly diesel pricing)

It's been a while!
Good to hear you sir.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I don’t know that i would even look at the PSD with GM’s new Duramax on the market. That motor seems to be fantastic and is making a hell of a lot more power.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don’t know that i would even look at the PSD with GM’s new Duramax on the market. That motor seems to be fantastic and is making a hell of a lot more power.
I wouldn't call 250/440 to 277/460 "a hell of a lot more power". Certainly not enough to compensate for that bowtie on the front.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
I wouldn't call 250/440 to 277/460 "a hell of a lot more power". Certainly not enough to compensate for that bowtie on the front.
When your only making 250, 27 hp seems like a decent amount.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts