F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Curious - is this change being made for preference or is there an issue with the E-locker?

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
Curious - is this change being made for preference or is there an issue with the E-locker?
Because e lockers are lame for normal driving and overkill for most offroading

Reactions: Grim Reaper

·
Registered
91 Posts
I still like the elocker in 2WD vehicles. I had one in my 2014 and liked the fact that I could prevent one wheel peel when I was in the woods. Didn’t want to get stuck back there.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I still like the elocker in 2WD vehicles. I had one in my 2014 and liked the fact that I could prevent one wheel peel when I was in the woods. Didn’t want to get stuck back there.
A Truetrac will do that for you too. Except you don't have to remember to manually engage it, and it won't stop working after you exceed a certain speed (25mph/40kmh). Best of all, it has slip for going around corners. No more 16-sided corners like the eLOC.

As most of my driving is either on the street or fire-roads, a LSD like the Truetrac just fits my needs better.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just to add to this. I've Installed the SPE diff lock switch and get the warning every time i start the truck.

Luckily for you in your case (and i believe someone mentioned this prior), it's possible to measure the resistance of the factory diff lock solenoid, and wire in a resistor to trick the module into thinking the diff is there and electronically Sound.

Let us know what you think. I loved my torsen diff in my old f250.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hi All, well @mass-hole suggestion to adjust the codes within Forscan was exactly what needed to be done.

After I put the correct code in Forscan (IPC module as listed above), and then disconnected the connection to the eLOC, not only was my eLOC disabled, my PCM doesn't even know (or care) that I ever had an eLOC.

As far as my PCM is concerned, it's just a 4WD without an eLOC/ELD. Been driving like that since the weekend. No errors whatsoever.

In fact, I can even plug the connector to the eLOC/ELD and it actually works. No light on the dash either.

Good call @mass-hole

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Only way to test it, is to light up the tires. Send us pics
That will happen, after break-in and I change the gear oil.

These type of gears are suppose to NOT use synthetic. It's designed to have a little friction.

At least it's cheap to change the gear oil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a Truetrac in my old Jeep. My only regret is waiting until 2013 to get it, instead of doing it as soon as humanly possible. Hope you're as happy with yours as I was with mine.

The Truetrac works pretty well by itself, but combined with the "brake LSD" of the traction control, it should work really well. I look forward to hearing about it.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks @bluelight btw, what gear oil are you using? From what I read, they recommend mineral oil and don't recommend synthetic oil. Eaton request GL-5 but never mention the actual weight they prefer.

I was looking at a 75w or 80w. Probably 75w as we get quite cold at times in winter. -10F/-23C happens at least a couple days and occasionally for a couple of weeks during winter, so I lean to 75W regular

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
It says 80W-90 right on their website.

Our trucks specify 75w-140 though don't they? Althought I heard the newer trucks specify 75W-90. To me that is more about the Ring/Pinion than the carrier.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
I'm running my trutrac in my Scout on cheap Dino 80w90.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It says 80W-90 right on their website.

Our trucks specify 75w-140 though don't they? Althought I heard the newer trucks specify 75W-90. To me that is more about the Ring/Pinion than the carrier.
Man I feel stupid. I went through their website, and I just couldn't find the actual specification other than GL-5.

I do feel happy though, GL-5 80W90 straight oil is the cheapest available. For once, it is coming up roses for me.

But I am so stoked. I am finally fixing one of my biggest complaints (eLOC vs LSD) with my truck resolved. Especially now that I have upgraded both fuel pumps to run E85 straight.

Well, get my GT turbos installed along with my CRP Manifolds (with ARP studs and bolts, though the ARPs have been on backorder for months ... but I am in no rush I will get them eventually).

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I assume you referring to when you install a different LSD when you had the ELD?

If so, just use the code in Post#11. I switched mine from a 5 to a 4 and the display is perfect.

It doesn't disable the ELD working. It just stops the reporting and pretends there is nothing there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The resistor trick mentioned above is likely the easiest ticket. The hyperflash eliminator resistors usually sold with aftermarket LEDs is probably in the right ballpark to “look like” the magnetic coil from the perspective of the control module.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I assume you referring to when you install a different LSD when you had the ELD?

If so, just use the code in Post#11. I switched mine from a 5 to a 4 and the display is perfect.

It doesn't disable the ELD working. It just stops the reporting and pretends there is nothing there.
I installed an SPE diff Lock bypass relay which engages the E-locker any time via the factory switch. It gets rid of the 25mph nanny that the TCCM has. In doing that, though, the cluster has an error Message every time you start the truck.

I was going to change cluster settings today using the info in this thread, but have changed emails since last using forscan and now have to wait approval on my new account Before getting a new license.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
The resistor trick mentioned above is likely the easiest ticket. The hyperflash eliminator resistors usually sold with aftermarket LEDs is probably in the right ballpark to “look like” the magnetic coil from the perspective of the control module.
Not if you don't know the exact resistor to use (which no one has mentioned) and don't have a pack of various resistors to try. That's why I didn't bother with it and went with Forscan straight off.

Forscan is actually easy. Especially as the post in #11 tells you which code to change.

And then there are a number of other changes you can also make with Forscan, like "Bambi mode", adjusting the number of flashes from the standard 3, choosing which lights to turn on for DRL (Headlight, Parking Lights or Driving Lights) and turning off TPMS if you have separate winter tires.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts